Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Ermax hugger from Frog Specialties. It was very well packed, looks nice and doesn’t fit worth a damn!

If I just lay it on the swingarm, it lines up somewhat well but the 2 (chain guard) bolt holes are about 3/8 inch off diagonally from where they should be... and you can’t really elongate/move them cleanly because they have a recessesed shoulder. I should note that this is on a 2010 V so (however unlikely) it is possible that Kawasaki moved those holes.

Mounting it with just the 3 bolts (the area by the brake-line mount sits flush, so that retention point would make no difference) results in the left side virtually touching the tire and the front left corner sitting on its folded shoulder & well above the swingarm.

If you force the front left corner down & over the swingarm, it does twist it into proper alignment (centered, symmetrical and with adequate tire clearance) but there is no way that a tie wrap is going to hold it there. A bolt would probably work (at least until the hugger fractured from the strain) but I’m not about to drill & tap the swingarm.

No amount of spacers or shimming is going to make it fit. A substantial amount of cutting would make it usable but it would look like hell because some of the folded/rolled edges would have to be removed.

I’m hoping that this is just a defective unit. Although it look like it’s inherently mis-designed, I guess it’s conceivable that it warped after it came out of the mold... and I’m also guessing that it’s not a 2010 issue, because it sounds like the same problem described by Vitesse in this thread on a 2009... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214&highlight=Hugger&page=3

We’ll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Ermax did the same thing on my 09. I got it to fit with a combination of things. I elongated the screw holes slightly, Not noticeable as they are covered by the screw heads. This let me adjust it as needed. I put two washers under the right front between the hugger and swing-arm. The zip tie will hold it down with enough pressure to line up that last little bit.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hardware, my Ermax Hugger fit just fine without the need to elongate holes so you may have received a bad one. As for the left front corner where the zip tie is meant to go, I had the same issue with the left rear corner rubbing on the tire. I simply found a similar metal screw, drilled a hole through the hugger at the left front corner and screwed in the screw. The swingarm is aluminum and so a stainless metal screw self threads nicely into the drilled hole. It solved the fit and clearance problems, is much more secure than a zip tie and looks ten times better. It's very easy to do so don't be nervous about trying it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I received my Ermax hugger from Frog Specialties.

If you force the front left corner down & over the swingarm, it does twist it into proper alignment (centered, symmetrical and with adequate tire clearance) but there is no way that a tie wrap is going to hold it there.

We’ll see...
I'd say that your hugger is fine. As you said, the hugger touches the tire because you didn't use the tie wrap. I had mine on for almost 3 years now, same zip tie. The hugger took some abuse too, there are chunks missing from rocks, but the tie is still solidly on...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Ermax did the same thing on my 09. I got it to fit with a combination of things. I elongated the screw holes slightly, Not noticeable as they are covered by the screw heads. This let me adjust it as needed. I put two washers under the right front between the hugger and swing-arm. The zip tie will hold it down with enough pressure to line up that last little bit.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the input CB but the holes on this one are so far off that I’d need to use fender washers to cover up the ovals I’d have to make. :forgetit:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hardware, my Ermax Hugger fit just fine without the need to elongate holes so you may have received a bad one. As for the left front corner where the zip tie is meant to go, I had the same issue with the left rear corner rubbing on the tire. I simply found a similar metal screw, drilled a hole through the hugger at the left front corner and screwed in the screw. The swingarm is aluminum and so a stainless metal screw self threads nicely into the drilled hole. It solved the fit and clearance problems, is much more secure than a zip tie and looks ten times better. It's very easy to do so don't be nervous about trying it.
Thanks Islander but I’m not nervous about drilling the swingarm... I’m just not going to do it to a brand new bike because this particular hugger is misshapen. If Frog can’t send me an Ermax Hugger that fits properly, I’ll find another make that does.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say that your hugger is fine. As you said, the hugger touches the tire because you didn't use the tie wrap. I had mine on for almost 3 years now, same zip tie. The hugger took some abuse too, there are chunks missing from rocks, but the tie is still solidly on...
You say that but you haven’t seen what I am looking at.

I am not a novice wannabe do-it-yourselfer. I’ve built & rebuilt cars and motorcycles and blueprinted competition engines from the machining thru final assembly... and as I said, as badly as this fits and with the amount of force that’s required to twist it into a shape that it doesn’t want to be in, there is No Way that a tie wrap is going to do the job -- and even if it did... I sure as hell wouldn’t rely on a tie wrap to keep a fender from contacting - and potentially cutting into - a tire on a bike.

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Yup, read all the previous posts, and that is why I got a Skidmarx, perfect fit and fibreglass painted black like my bike.As to using a tywrap, I wouldn't depend a one under those circumstances. At the right speed that hugger would easily slice the tire.I am no fan of high speed blow outs, have had one rear and a low speed front, no fun!:badidea:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hardware, any special instructions you might have for adding the hole?
Well, my first recommendation would be, Don’t...

But if you must..., I’d drill the hole in the center of the arm, i.e. stay away from the edges or corners to avoid weakening it at its higher stress points -- and start with a small bit. Depending on the gauge (thickness) of the arm and its hardness I’d either go with a self-tapping screw as Islander suggested or possibly tap it and use a machine screw. I don’t think I’d consider using a threaded insert because that would require making the hole considerable bigger than necessary.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple more thought on this...

One advantage of tapping the hole is that it is easier to remove & reinstall repeatedly. With a self tapping screw you want to be careful when reinstalling it to catch the original threads (do this by initially turning the screw counter-clockwise until you feel it drop into the thread).

Another advantage is that it is less likely to vibrate loose, especially if you use a thread-locker (like Locktite) but don’t use one of the “High Strength” thread lockers or it may pull the (soft) aluminum threads out when you remove the screw.

Also (assuming that there’s enough material thickness to tap a hole in the first place) on small screws like this, it’s usually better to tap a coarser thread pitch into aluminum because most alloys are too soft for a fine pitch thread to hold up.

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you check on Speedy's web site, he has instructions for mounting the lowering block complete with pictures. There are several places on the Versys designed to be drilled and tapped. I used the same M6 fastener for the hugger. See picture #2 , you will see a round raised area directly behind the M6 bolt for the lowering block, this is a spot designed to be drilled and tapped.

http://motowerk.com/Documents/Web_Kawasaki Versys Std Lowering Kit Install Instructions_Rev 2.pdf
The area in question is on the other side of the swingarm, i.e. the front Left

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Reading through the previous posts, if I was in your position, I would send it back. I have a Skidmarx, and since it incorporates a chain guard I wanted something to fasten the front left to the swing arm. My hugger fit perfectly, however there was a possibility of a problem similar to yours happening . I created a slot on the hugger that aligns with the inside edge of the swing arm, at the very front were the swing arm bends inward. I then installed two 12 inch 100 LB black T&B tywraps.You could try using c clamps to position the hugger, then try using a heat gun to take the stresses out of the ABS, if that is what it is, this would be a really tough project, as ABS needs a lot of heat , and it doesn't form very well.
As to drilling and tapping, I was told that the area you are looking at drilling is very thin, and not recommended.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my Emax today, maybe I got lucky but it seems to fit fine. I fitted it up to check it out before painting. bete.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same issues as Hardware on my 2010 with the ERMAX. Ended up drilling two new mounting holes on the chain guard side and covered up the old ones.With the new holes offset about 1cm it fits perfectly, good clearance from the tire.
Drill the hugger not the swingarm.:)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
my skid-marx hugger fit perfectly....and no tie-wraps needed.
That's , if you like the styling...I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have the lowering link on my 2009 Versys and had to cut out part of the Ermax hugger to fit around and slightly under the Lowering Link. Everything else seemed to work out ok and the Electrical tie has held for 3 years now.

Here are some pictures that might help you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.[URL="
[/URL]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts