Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come September, I'll be heading out for a one week, 2500 mile ride from Houston to the Smoky Mountain area.

What do you folks pack in the way of tools?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Compact jack (home-built)
can of chain lube
tire repair kit
compact foot pump
multi tool
Allen keys
multi head screw driver
small flashlight
electrical tape
zip ties

·
Registered
687 Posts
I bring exactly what ATYC brings, as well as an 8mm socket with 1/4 " drive, for the countershaft sprocket cover. I've always brought an extra clutch cable too but have yet to need it. You can get both wheels off using the tools that come with the bike.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey PW,

I just got back last Wednesday from a similar trip, 3,000 miles in 8 days. I lubed the chain every evening and adjusted it once but took basically what ATYC suggested.
I used one of these to lift the rear wheel off the ground http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm and it worked great.

Don't know how yours will be geared but I took 3 teeth off the rear and it was perfect for the 500 interstate miles I had to do, gotta ride the clutch a little on take offs.

I live at the foot of the Smokies, PM me if you want my phone number in case you need help while in the area.

Ride safe,
Dan

·
Registered
687 Posts
How do you get the front axle off?
(I think I know... I just want to see what you say... and have you actually done it?)
Do you mean how do you get the front wheel off the ground? After I've loosened everything I pull the bike over on the side stand. Usually the back wheel wants to come up but the front wheel can be forced by putting some body weight on the seat. Then I ask someone to jam my wheel brace (that I usually use with the swingarm spool) under the skid plate. I normally do my tire changing at home before I leave on a trip but I have used this method to get the front wheel off to do a tire change, using the tools under the seat so I was sure I had everything I needed to do a roadside repair.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you mean how do you get the front wheel off the ground? After I've loosened everything I pull the bike over on the side stand. Usually the back wheel wants to come up but the front wheel can be forced by putting some body weight on the seat. Then I ask someone to jam my wheel brace (that I usually use with the swingarm spool) under the skid plate. I normally do my tire changing at home before I leave on a trip but I have used this method to get the front wheel off to do a tire change, using the tools under the seat so I was sure I had everything I needed to do a roadside repair.
No, what do you use as an allen wrench in the original tool kit for the axle? and how do you get enough leverage? I haven't been able to do it with the oem tools, unless I leave the bolt well under spec torque.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
No, what do you use as an allen wrench in the original tool kit for the axle? and how do you get enough leverage? I haven't been able to do it with the oem tools, unless I leave the bolt well under spec torque.
For that you use the bottom of the spark plug wrench. For the axle I just snug it as much as I can, most likely under torque spec. The pinch bolt keeps the axle from backing out.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
Compact jack (home-built)
can of chain lube
tire repair kit
compact foot pump
multi tool
Allen keys
multi head screw driver
small flashlight
electrical tape
zip ties
Pretty much the same for me.:thumb: (In fact - with me ALL the time!)

·
Registered
944 Posts
For that you use the bottom of the spark plug wrench. For the axle I just snug it as much as I can, most likely under torque spec. The pinch bolt keeps the axle from backing out.
That's Cool! :thumb: I did not know that!
I carry some JB Weld in addition to the above items. And like Ed, I keep the stuff on the bike all the time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've experimented with... you would hardly believe all the different combos of tools I have tried to get more leverage on that axle. I wasn't happy with the result, so I carry an appropriate allen socket and socket wrench. I just didn't trust it on rough roads...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well, I've got 100k kms on the bike doing it as I described, but of course everyone should do what they think is best. I think the main thing is to make sure whatever tools you choose to rely on work for you at home before you hit the road.

·
Registered
90 Posts
- Tool kit that comes with the bike, it has allen keys and everything you need
- Tire repair kit
- road side assistance card
- cell phone
- duct tape/zip ties
- chain lube
- paper napkins picked up along the way to keep visor clean and provide shielding when spraying chain lube

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...- paper napkins picked up along the way to keep visor clean....
I would NOT do that: paper WILL scratch your visor. I carry a micro-fibre cloth, and use water (on short rides), or on longer ones I carry (generic) Lemon Pledge and a dedicated cloth to apply it. My visors are in VG shape...!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would NOT do that: paper WILL scratch your visor. I carry a micro-fibre cloth, and use water (on short rides), or on longer ones I carry (generic) Lemon Pledge and a dedicated cloth to apply it. My visors are in VG shape...!
+1, paper on visors is not recommended. M-f or cotton cloth is much better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts