Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Versys 650 and 2001 Bonneville 790
34 Posts
Hi,

Since I will do the maintenance od versys on my own, I want to ask a few important questions:

• Oil change after warming or before warming?
  • 10w40?
  • What size of washers I should use?
  • what company makes quality oil filters.
  • how to properly judge the looseness of the cam shaft chain. Do i have to take out the tensioner before? How loose the chain should be?
  • What type of glue i should use to "on the crescent gasket )
  • What type of air filter?
  • what type of spark plugs and what company offers the quality ones?

Should I remember about something?
Hi-Flo Filtro makes good quality air and oil filters - just search eBay for best price / shipping. The air filters are re-useable / cleanable but a new one (pre-oiled) is only $14 US. Spark plugs are NGK CR9EIA-9 (they are Iridium tipped and should last nearly the life of the bike) - again check eBay for best pricing if you feel the need to replace them.
Cam chain is self adjusting - no maintenance required unless you suspect something may be wrong.
I use high temperature RTV silicone for nearly all sealing applications.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi-Flo Filtro makes good quality air and oil filters - just search eBay for best price / shipping. The air filters are re-useable / cleanable but a new one (pre-oiled) is only $14 US. Spark plugs are NGK CR9EIA-9 (they are Iridium tipped and should last nearly the life of the bike) - again check eBay for best pricing if you feel the need to replace them.
Cam chain is self adjusting - no maintenance required unless you suspect something may be wrong.
I use high temperature RTV silicone for nearly all sealing applications.
I think i will need to check valve clearances and cam chain for the tension.

How to tell the state of the cam chain, based on the protrusion of the cam tensioner.

I think that the spring inside of the tensioner is pushing it out to push the cam chain so in my opinion, the further away it is the worse the state or chain. Is that correct?
The more clicks i hear when I push it back, the better, right?
Do i need to get new gasket under the tensioner?

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Spark plugs are NGK CR9EIA-9 (they are Iridium tipped and should last nearly the life of the bike)....
I STRONGLY disagree - the plugs will STILL look new, but should still be replaced. Your power and fuel economy will AGREE!

·
Registered
2013 v650
331 Posts
I have to ask, why are you so worried about the cam chain wear? Does the engine have a lot of mileage or is it making noise? The normal way to check chain wear is to measure a certain number of links. I didn't see a value in my copy of the service manual, so I would go by the timing alignment marks and if they can't be aligned then look further for wear limits.

The replacement of a cam chain is a major job and most people will trade in the bike before they paid to have the job done. They tend to last a long time.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I STRONGLY disagree - the plugs will STILL look new, but should still be replaced. Your power and fuel economy will AGREE!
When I changed my plugs at 58000 km I didn't notice any change at all in power or fuel consumption. I had read about the magic transformation the engine would have with fresh plugs but it certainly wasn't my experience.
I bought my V with 38000 km and I doubt the plugs had ever been changed- the valve clearance had certainly never been checked, the first thing I did. I'm at 85000 km now, on the same plugs. YMMV

·
Registered
2011 Versys 650 and 2001 Bonneville 790
34 Posts
If you drive a car less than 20 years old it has Iridium tipped plugs. Pretty sure your owner's manual suggests changing them at approx. 100,000 miles. So how often do you think your Versys plugs need changing since it's a water cooled, 4 stroke engine just like your car?

Just asking - don't want to get into any philosophical issues.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
How often do you replace the spark plugs?
EVERY time I 'go in there' (checking valves) I replace them.

On our LOW MILEAGE car (here in BC), my wife complained that it would NOT hold speed in 'cruise' going up hills, so I replaced the Iridium tipped plugs (WHICH LOOKED NEW!), and it WOULD MAINTAIN SPEED again in 'cruise'!

Plugs are cheap, even at about $8 a pop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

Since I will do the maintenance od versys on my own, I want to ask a few important questions:

• Oil change after warming or before warming?
    I normally do mine cold...
  • 10w40?
    Can of worms...
    I've been using RotellaT6 5w-40 Check your manual...
  • What size of washers I should use?
    I think this is the size that is factory:
    Crush Washers
    but I've just been using one out of variety pack of copper washers that is too small on the OD
  • what company makes quality oil filters.
    I've been using which ever is the cheapest of Bosch, Purolator One, or Mobil as according to this chart (using the long sizes):
    Filter Cross Reference
  • how to properly judge the looseness of the cam shaft chain. Do i have to take out the tensioner before? How loose the chain should be?
    Not sure what you are meaning here. The cam chain tensioner is automatic. Turn the crankshaft a few time manually with a wrench to make sure everything is correct, the tensioner should adjust itself out when you do this and will tighten up a bit more at the first starting.
  • What type of glue i should use to "on the crescent gasket )
    Some Black RTV. Like This:
    RTV
  • What type of air filter?
    OEM. The factory one is reusable. You pop the frame apart clean the foam element with soap and water and re-oil it with some foam air filter oil. I recommend buying a second OEM then you can rotate them without having the bike down while you dry and re-oil etc.
  • what type of spark plugs and what company offers the quality ones?
    Same as others have said the NGK that the manual states.

Should I remember about something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

So, yesterday I ordered:
Motul 7100 10w40
Hiflofiltro HF303
Hiflofiltro HFA2606
NGK CR9EIA-9 X2
Original clutch cable from kawasaki.
Cam gasket
Spark plugs gasket
Tensioner oring
Wurth RTV high temperature silicone.
2L of mannol coolant.

Wish me luck...

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Please take a look on the pictures. As you can see, I have a problem with clutch.
Both adjusters are maxed out and motorcycle is still pulling a little when i hit first gear.
There is a slight audible change aswell, as if rpm dropped by 50-100rpms when I switch to first gear.

I purchased a new oem clutch cable, but is it the actual reason?
I still didn't install the new cable to be honest.

When I adjust the lever adjuster to 3-5mm and then start to screw the engine side adjuster, the gap between the engine adjuster and locking nut gets smaller, but the clutch lever is really loose
When I start to turn the adjuster to the left, the gap becomes bigger and clutch lever starts to tighten up, but still not enough according to the manual, moreover I cannot screw it out any longer because the adjuster slips off the thread...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cables, like your chain will stretch over time. Replace it if you are the end of all the adjustments.

·
Registered
944 Posts
imho this is abnormal.
I've never replaced and I've never seen any clutch cable stretch, on 2 bikes over 120'000km each.

More or less realistic hypotheses:
Could the sheath have compressed from unexpected heat while under cable tension?
Could a brand new clutch pack be so thick as to create too much slack?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,

I'm at the middle of my maintenance.
I have a problem with the small maintenance port. I don't know how to unscrew it. The force someone used is extreme, moreover the screw is kinda "tired".
How is called the tool to unscrew it.

I was able to unscrew the bottom one, but the top one is stuck in the place.
How do I set the camshaft position in that case?
IMG-20210815-174427 this is how i have set the cam shaft. On the other side there are two gears with mark "-" that I have set straight with the timing head .

Question 2.

One of the denso spark plug has a crack on the middle. Do I have to change it.
Can i buy one or I have to change both of them?

Question 3.

Chain tensioner has gotten out to the middle. How to check whether it's good or bad? How far it needs to push out in oder to camshaft chain needs to be replaced?
Some of the side panels pins are broken. Is there a way to repair them?

One mechanic said that you don't adjust tps, is that right?

What are the values for vacuometr.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,337 Posts
You are lucky that is either a MK-1 or MK-2 . Small channel lock pliers on the outside, Counterclockwise. Small needle-nose vise grips same idea. Last , a fine chisel , on a 45 angle to the cap, driving from the top edge towards the rear of the bike, expect permanent damage. One other way, use a coin that just fits in the groove and use an adjustable.
No idea why you are at that stage without asking first. You have many questions that lack understanding, asking a mechanic that makes his living at it generally won't give for free what he gets paid for. The Denso stick coil can be changed as needed or replace with both, which makes no difference. Search Denso and use Invader as the member, recent changes in part numbers.

Ask again about the TPS , you need an accurate digital meter and a harness or use Invaders' homemade harness method.

Reactions: invader

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are lucky that is either a MK-1 or MK-2 . Small channel lock pliers on the outside, Counterclockwise. Small needle-nose vise grips same idea. Last , a fine chisel , on a 45 angle to the cap, driving from the top edge towards the rear of the bike, expect permanent damage. One other way, use a coin that just fits in the groove and use an adjustable.
No idea why you are at that stage without asking first. You have many questions that lack understanding, asking a mechanic that makes his living at it generally won't give for free what he gets paid for. The Denso stick coil can be changed as needed or replace with both, which makes no difference. Search Denso and use Invader as the member, recent changes in part numbers.

Ask again about the TPS , you need an accurate digital meter and a harness or use Invaders' homemade harness method.

"No idea why you are at that stage without asking first."
Well,

I knew I had to unscrew those two inspection caps, but I didn't expect that someone would put so much torque them while wrenching that I will have to use a long, fitting crowbar and channel lock pliers in order to get good leverage...

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
"No idea why you are at that stage without asking first."
Well,

I knew I had to unscrew those two inspection caps, but I didn't expect that someone would put so much torque them while wrenching that I will have to use a long, fitting crowbar and channel lock pliers in order to get good leverage...
You need to have access to, as well as be able to select and properly use the right tool. You also need to know what to do and how to service an engine... In other words, to limit further damage, you quite urgently need to stop what you're doing now, and let a professional perform the job.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts