Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a example where a new member decided to post something like over 10 different threads. Information in one thread was lacking in the second. If the topic changes as this thread did, either edit the title or ask a mod to do it.Starting new threads does two things;

Those trying to help, see a new thread, instead of following advice given you start a new thread-that ticks off the people helping and the new people viewing the new thread are lacking the information previously posted. As you go along in the trouble shooting, CHANGE THE TITLE -all those helping are still getting tagged, all the new members attempting to help can see what has been done to date!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

Last week I have purchased 2013(2014 ver) versys 650 with 110.600 km @ odometer.

So, I don't have much experience in terms of judging the state of bike based on the sound, so I want to ask you to judge it for me?

Is the sound right? I'm asking, because the higher rpm the higher trrrrrrr sound.
I expected clean engine sound, but here it sounds like valves clicking too much.
Is it because of the valves clearance? Could be timing chain?
Can I screw out the "automatic" chain tensioner to check how far it already reached without the need to change everything at the same time?

How to check the overall state of the engine?
I thought about:
1. Correcting valve clearance.
2. Checking the compression of both cylinders.

Can i just buy new valves or I might be needed to lathe valve ports and then install new valves?

·
Premium Member
11,228 Posts
First Welcome from Canada

Sounds normal and the best thing you could do is the valve shim check

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
WELCOME aboard, plmnb.

I agree that it sounds correct to me, but I TOO suggest you do a "valve check".

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
53 Posts
That sounds like a healthy Versys does. That being said, its a used bike to with an unkown history to you, get it serviced and enjoy it. By service I mean a thourought service, get the valve clearance checked, air filter serviced and the sparkplugs, oil, coolant and brake fluids changed. Additionally I'd regrease the steering head and suspension bearings regreased, those are often overlooked.

·
Administrator
8,529 Posts
Warm Welcoem aboard and enjoy your ride. Just get it to a service center for a check up , if you not familiar with wrenching. Otherwise follow what has been suggested by members above.

Sounds normal , check you valve setting and your exhaust system. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well. I will do the valve check once I get my hands on some money.
I have a few questions.
1. Do I have to pour out the oil in order to check cam chain tensioner state to judge the cam chain stretch?
2. If there is a need to change the cam chain, will it come already "chained" or I will need to buy disconnected chain and connect it by myself?
3. How to judge the state of camshaft?
4. I have a small problem with clutch:
a) I have adjusted the clutch cable screw on clutch lever so that the distance was 5/6mm according to manual, the thing is that when I tried to adjust the engine side clutch cable by screwing out the small nut just underneath of the long adjusting nut and then screwing "away" the long nut, I have realized that the long nut is already so far away that it slides of screw thread and it can only be compensated by screwing out the clutch lever screw to arround 1cm.
b) When I change the gear to 1st I can feel that even though I'm keeping clutch disengaged by pressing the clutch lever to the max, the bike pulls forward just a little bit.

Is it the matter of a clutch cable? Is it possible for a clutch cable to stretch out so much that it's extremely problematic to adjust it? Considering the fact of the mileage of the motorcycle, could it be a problem with clutch springs?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds right, you hear the mechanical noise I find on mine as the muffler is reasonably quiet. Ive grown to love that sound, anxious for more fuel, a little crazy sounding. At some point without a valve adjustment I think you would hear the tapping alot.

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
... At some point without a valve adjustment I think you would hear the tapping alot.
I DON'T think so - the valves on my three V650s "tighten-up", reducing the clearances.

I always adjust the valves to the OPEN end of the clearances, so THAT is the closest they will come to "tapping" (and mine DON'T!).

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
53 Posts
Yep, valve clearance on these bike tightens up. Remember the old saying, noisy valve is a happy valve.

As far as I know replacing the cam chain involves splitting the cases, you can't get the chain off the crankshaft otherwise. I guess you can check how far the tensioner has gone out? Just remove the big bolt, take the spring out and then the two 8mm bolts and the tensioner comes out. I don't recall if the service manual has any spec for how far out it can be, but if you're not hearing the timing chain slapping or can't get the camshafts to line up I wouldn't bother with it.

What are you looking for in the camshafts? That engine sounds fine, just make sure all fluids are changed and that it has been properly serviced. If you want to check everything you'd end up disassembling the whole thing.

As for the clutch adjustment, if the cable is breaking, it will stretch and you won't be able to adjust it. And you will always feel the bike pushing forward when you shift it into gear, it's a wet clutch, plates want to stick together because of the oil and when you shift into gear they separate; that is why the bike jumps forward a bit. It's perfectly normal and it will do that right out of the factory.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
53 Posts
BTW, its a 180° twin, both cylinders fire closely together (half revolution) and then the engine does 1.5 revolutions before the next power pulse. Its not an even firing order, that is what makes it noisier than other engine configurations. Your bike sounds normal for a Versys.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Don't over-think things, the engine sounds fine. Camshaft and cam chain failures are almost unheard of around here. Service the bike and enjoy the ride. It's a very reliable machine and high mileage examples are numerous. Relax.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yep, valve clearance on these bike tightens up. Remember the old saying, noisy valve is a happy valve.

As far as I know replacing the cam chain involves splitting the cases, you can't get the chain off the crankshaft otherwise. I guess you can check how far the tensioner has gone out? Just remove the big bolt, take the spring out and then the two 8mm bolts and the tensioner comes out. I don't recall if the service manual has any spec for how far out it can be, but if you're not hearing the timing chain slapping or can't get the camshafts to line up I wouldn't bother with it.

What are you looking for in the camshafts? That engine sounds fine, just make sure all fluids are changed and that it has been properly serviced. If you want to check everything you'd end up disassembling the whole thing.

As for the clutch adjustment, if the cable is breaking, it will stretch and you won't be able to adjust it. And you will always feel the bike pushing forward when you shift it into gear, it's a wet clutch, plates want to stick together because of the oil and when you shift into gear they separate; that is why the bike jumps forward a bit. It's perfectly normal and it will do that right out of the factory.
Mine does not jump forward when I shift into gear. My crf250 does it sometimes but not Versys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too agree with doing a clearance check.

Something to keep in mind while listening to your video, the tic-tic-tic sound of valves may not come through well and we may not be as good of a judge as your own ears.
Otherwise, it sounds just like my '09 with a fraction of the miles.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
while versys is stronger the more rpm you have.
Yea, Ive changed my style of riding after five years on the 649cc. It is very happy around 6,000 and ramps up quickly over 5,000. Its a mid range motor. I go up to 7,000 on shifts more often . Getting Steves Gen 3 flash helped the OEM gagging 3 to 5,000. so less dicking around with shifting on uphill cornering. But really, electric is going to redefine the concept of relentless torque in motorcycles as it is in cars now...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

Since I will do the maintenance od versys on my own, I want to ask a few important questions:

• Oil change after warming or before warming?
  • 10w40?
  • What size of washers I should use?
  • what company makes quality oil filters.
  • how to properly judge the looseness of the cam shaft chain. Do i have to take out the tensioner before? How loose the chain should be?
  • What type of glue i should use to "on the crescent gasket )
  • What type of air filter?
  • what type of spark plugs and what company offers the quality ones?

Should I remember about something?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.