Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what happened to my Versys-650 the other day. I stopped to fill it up with gas (Shell gas station, regular gas, I have the receipt to prove it) and pulled out of the gas station. As soon as I got on the throttle the engine was non-responsive, still running but wouldn't respond to throttle control properly. I was able to go about a quarter mile struggling to get over 20 mph when I got to a stop sign where the engine died as soon as I stopped and it wouldn't restart. Luckily I was close to home so I pushed it home and now I can't get it to start. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key and the starter is turning over, but the engine won't fire up. I siphoned out the fuel and put in a gallon from another station but same problem. Is it possible this is a case of bad gas? If so any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650
16 Posts
What's the chance you have been sold fuel that has water in it ? Your post sounds like contaminated fuel to me.
Unfortunately, if this is true it would mean pulling the tank off the bike to be able to remove the fuel pump and filter from the bottom of the tank, as the pump is inside the tank (and uses fuel to keep it cool).
You then probably may need a new gasket and gasket goo if you don't want a leak.,
Googling 'water in fuel' tells a story that steam may fracture the injectors if it the motor does restart, so a wise measure would be to remove the spark plugs, then crank the engine over to re prime the system after proving the fuel pump and filter are clean of water.

Rob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a triumph sprint that I had the same thing happen..
The fuel was badly contaminated with what looked like bracken and leaf stalks and bits...
Needless to say I never used that petrol station ever again..
If its not contaminated fuel you got a whole process of elimination to go through..
I'm fairly new to the versys so don't know much about the bike to be fair but they all run on the same basic formula..
Unfortunately you got no haynes manual for the versys..
Start with simple things..
Air
Fuel
Spark..
Get a fault reader on it if you or your mates have one..
Good luck mate..let us know how you get on..I'd be interested to know what happens..🦆

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What's the chance you have been sold fuel that has water in it ? Your post sounds like contaminated fuel to me.
Unfortunately, if this is true it would mean pulling the tank off the bike to be able to remove the fuel pump and filter from the bottom of the tank, as the pump is inside the tank (and uses fuel to keep it cool).
You then probably may need a new gasket and gasket goo if you don't want a leak.,
Googling 'water in fuel' tells a story that steam may fracture the injectors if it the motor does restart, so a wise measure would be to remove the spark plugs, then crank the engine over to re prime the system after proving the fuel pump and filter are clean of water.

Rob.
i'm sure you're enjoying your new Versys, you made the right choice, but understandably you're not yet familiar with the mechanicals...best to hold off on the advice until you are.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what happened to my Versys-650 the other day. I stopped to fill it up with gas (Shell gas station, regular gas, I have the receipt to prove it) and pulled out of the gas station. As soon as I got on the throttle the engine was non-responsive, still running but wouldn't respond to throttle control properly. I was able to go about a quarter mile struggling to get over 20 mph when I got to a stop sign where the engine died as soon as I stopped and it wouldn't restart. Luckily I was close to home so I pushed it home and now I can't get it to start. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key and the starter is turning over, but the engine won't fire up. I siphoned out the fuel and put in a gallon from another station but same problem. Is it possible this is a case of bad gas? If so any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,
Short reply
You can very easily use the fuel pump and pump ALL the fuel out of the tank into a jerry can.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sounds very much like some sort of fuel starvation or grossly bad fuel.

I had a carbureted bike a few years ago that got gummed up over the winter. It acted exactly as you described, where it ran poorly and had almost zero power, then it would die.

The obvious proximal event was putting fuel into it, so it seems nearly impossible to be an air or spark issue.

Have you contacted the gas station management? Perhaps diesel was dispensed into the wrong tank and a bunch of customers had problems. Or there was a lot of debris in the tank which got pumped into numerous vehicles.

Alternatively it is possible the rush of fuel into your tank dislodged some gunk which clogged it up, but I think that is quite unlikely.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did the gas you drained out look? Any chance you put in diesel?
i am no expert but it didn’t seem like diesel and I am confident that I didn’t pump diesel because the diesel pump was out of service while I was there and my receipt (and price) are for regular gas. I’m afraid it’s beyond my technical competency at this point and I’m working on getting it towed to the repair shop nearby. I’ll repost with whatever they find. Thanks for the input all!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hopefully it wasn't an error with the pump. We had that happen here locally in 2020. As far as drivers knew based on the pumps and their receipts, they pumped unleaded into their tanks. It was actually diesel.

In any event, I hope it's not a serious issue and that it can be resolved quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a very similar situation 20 years ago. Running perfectly until 5 minutes after a fuel stop. Turned out to be diesel mistakenly added to regular pumps. Had to flush everything, as in entire fuel system. Fortunately nothing hurt but cost me lots of time/effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts