Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all - if anyone can - Please tell if you can feel/see the diff twixt the 2010/11 with the rubber engine mounts/rubber on the pedals etc and the 2008/2009 no rubber mounts.

Second - is it possible and worth mounting the rubber engine mounts if you ever happen to need or want to change them?

thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a 2009 V and a 2010 V. I have 7500 miles on the 09 V and about 1000 miles on the 10 V. I could tell no difference when both were new; if anything, the 09 V was smoother (less buzzing in handlebars and foot pegs). After a thousand miles or so, both got smoother. I feel very little buzzing from either; almost none on the 09 V. After break-in and change to synthetic oil, both run very smooth.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Unfortunately some peoples idea of "smooth" is skewed by their experience. Don't kid yourself, there is nothing smooth about the Versys engine. If you cant tell any difference between the 09 and 11 that sucks for Kawasaki, it means they failed to fix the problem

·
Registered
642 Posts
Unfortunately some peoples idea of "smooth" is skewed by their experience. Don't kid yourself, there is nothing smooth about the Versys engine. If you cant tell any difference between the 09 and 11 that sucks for Kawasaki, it means they failed to fix the problem
I will freely admit that my '08 is my first motorcycle, but if there is a "problem" with vibrations, then I am glad that it is there. With my foam earplugs in on my 100 mile commute, I would not even notice the bike if it was any less "viby."

I do not want to cause a disruption here, but I see/feel no "problem."

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
To be brutally honest my V-twin Cruisers are smoother than the Versys. They have a low frequency pulse. The versys has a high frequency buzz. Neither put body parts to sleep. Even my inline 4 Kawasaki Voyager 1200 had some vibration. I test rode a Honda Goldwing that I could feel a buzz and they are supposed to be so smooth you can balance a nickel on the engine.

A friend has a ZRX1200 and it is probably the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. Or maybe I was just too busy enjoying the power to notice any buzzing.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I do not want to cause a disruption here, but I see/feel no "problem."
Meh, the V has a high frequency vibration between 4000 and 4500 rpm. Its there and is obviously worse on some bikes than others. Because of its nature is very irritating to some (me). I can take a V-twin pulse all day long but a buzz drives me nuts. :D As does all the vibrating plastic at the same RPM. :mad:

In all fairness to the V my other bike is an ST1300 and you can hardly tell that engine is running. So getting off one of the smoothest running bikes I have owned and hopping on the V is really not to the Vs advantage. Eventually I will sell the V or give it to my son. It and I just don't see eye to eye, we don't mesh. If I could have test ridden it I probably wouldn't have bought it. It is also probably the last Kawasaki I will own. The last three have just been "meh" (craptastic build quality)....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I gotta say that installing the 14t front sprocket has moved my RPM up high enough to avoid the buzz and I am enjoying my V more than ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It crossed my mind to try this factory modification. I test drove the 2011 Versys Tourer at my local Kawasaki dealer to compare. The new Versys felt slightly smoother. It was fitted with Kawasaki handguards and touring screen.My 09 isnt.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is that the same as a 44 smaller rear sprocket?
A 14-tooth front is the same as going to a larger rear sprocket (something I have not heard anyone talk about on the Versys that I recall), not a smaller rear sprocket.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mine vibrates the bars about 5,000. Bike goes 60 mph @ 4500 in high gear with no vibration. I filled the handlebars with shot #6. I can now keep it in 5th go 60 mph @5000 rpm with pleasure.

My 11 has rubber mounts in the front. On top, it has solid mounts.

I can get a pic if you want.

David

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Every bike forum seems to have a discussion on vibration and each has proponents and nay-sayers. My last bike (Concours) had members who railed about high frequency buzz, I never noticed. Other 4 cylinder bikes and forums likewise.

I haven't noticed any annoying vibration on any bike I've owned since my Matchless G80 CS: now that was a paint can shaker.That was also a long time ago. Norton Atlas was another. My Commandos were very smooth comparatively.

If you want total isolation from engine vibration take the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's all about perspective I guess. If you've ever driven a thumper for long periods of time, you're pretty much clueless to the buzz that people complain about in the Versys. If you came from an Inline 4 to the parallel twin you're probably "what the fluck is wrong with this thing, is it going to vibrate apart?" I'm sure if there's someone out there started out with the new BMW Inline 6 bike for some reason, and then down graded to an Inline-4, he may feel similar to a Inline-4 guy going to what is basically an Inline-2. Then you have the engine shapes, horizontally opposed, V vs. P, blah blah.

Bottom line is the Versys is a lot of performance in a rather small, lightweight package. There are some 1500+ V-twins out there putting out less acceleration and horsepower than the Versys' 650. Want more power and less midrange ability? Make it into a 650R. The trade off is the P2's buzziness. Just like you can have a very simple and easy to work on single, putting out a lot of torque, and the trade off is the THUMP. On more complicated engines, there are trade offs too, the more cylinders, the more can go wrong with it. The inline-4 is probably not that much fun to do a valve inspection on or to sync the throttle bodies on.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I rode pillion on a KTM SMT, and it vibrates a lot. No wonder my buddy is looking for the vibration damping underpants from komine. I came from a Ninja 250R, so the V to me is considered smooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts