Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not been all that active here lately, been busy being retired and being a kid again along with trying to conserve hotspot data. So, howdy everyone!

The bike now has an issue that will shorten my annual 3 month trip out west to 2.5 months. First world problem, but still...

2015 650LT with about 88k miles on it.

I hear a puffing noise at idle. It goes away the instant the throttle is cracked, leading me to assume a severe vacuum leak. It is getting worse. Also recently, on slight throttle application while riding one cylinder is not picking up. Also recently, the check engine light sometimes(50%?) comes on when decelerating. The bike was flashed by Shoodabeen about 60-70,000 miles ago, no issue until now. The evap cannister was removed over 70k miles ago and the work around on the plumbing and vacuum lines was performed at that time. I've been playing with the bike on some pretty rough dirt roads lately and it has taken 3 stopped or veerrrry slow dirt naps. (Maybe time for a Tenere 700 or mud tires)

My thinking is one of the throttle bodies has come loose or I have a compromised intake boot. Maybe a vacuum line somehow came loose? I am done riding it as I assume that unfiltered air is being ingested and the areas that I'm camping in involve dirt roads, not a good combination. I do have some tools with me but not for really tearing into it and working on it in the trailer or out in the dirt is not gonna happen.

Thoughts? Packing up today and will start the four (long) day slog back to Flowriduh tomorrow.

On TDY boondock camping near Pagosa Springs, CO.

Thanks.

Reactions: JT in GA

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
How's the weather in Pagosa? I was going to head that way tomorrow but am worried about thunderstorms. Probably I'll wait until late August or September. I am looking forward to riding Durango - Chama - Pagosa - Creed - Ouray - Telluride!

On my 2015 I had a major vacuum issue with a line that runs to the intake pressure sensor. It is mounted next to the fuel tank on the left side right by where the evap canister mounts. On mine the line was a shiny black plastic thin walled hose that had cracked on the back side which was not easily visible. I really cannot figure out why the sensor is located there rather than directly onto the air box, nor why they didn't use regular vacuum line. Anyhow, that line caused all kinds of problems especially with the throttle at or near idle. The check engine light would cycle on and off, the engine would barely run at idle, and throttle response was all messed up.

The parts diagram part number on PartZilla for the sensor is 21176C, the Kawasaki part number is 21176-0111 if you need it.

I replaced the vacuum line with normal rubber vacuum hose and it has been flawless ever since.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that line. I'll look it over and then replace it anyhow. I'm due for a valve check, spark plugs, and likely an air filter so I'll be doing a dive in anyway to look over the stuff in the intake. It is definitely some sort of vac leak from somewhere.

I was wanting to ride around this area for about 10 days, just means I'll have to come back. I did spend about six weeks out here, being an alleged hooligan. Oh darn it all.

Weather looks quite sucky for the next ten days, that also played a part in not really wanting to tear into the bike while boondock camping. Started on my way back, boondock camping just south of Caballo, NM.

Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: JT in GA

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the late reply, been busy driving from the very nice weather in NM through TX and the SE, tonight in GA. At this point I'm thinking not a spark plug as the huffing goes away when I blip the throttle. But thanks for the thought. As mentioned above, I'll be going full in to check the valves, new air filter and plugs. I'll be inspecting all of the vac lines that I can find and likely just replace them all. With the age(7 years) and miles(about 88,000) replacing stuff like those lines would seem prudent.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Fly-Sig had it nailed. My line did, however, look like and feel like a real vac line, fairly thick and stiff without being brittle, not shiny. It was split at both ends. This would be a good hose to check the condition of when doing a tune up or just replace it, me thinks. Off to O Reilly's...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit of a follow up. I can see why the line split, the new line(same size) really didn't want to fit over the plastic vac port on the gizmo thing. I had to heat the hose and spritz it with silicone to make it go on.

Spark plugs, new cruise control switchgear, air filter, and vac hose installed. Waiting on LED bulbs for the city lights(tomorrow) and still have to change the oil once the tank goes back on and I can run it to warm the oil.

Thanks again, all, for helping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts