Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching engine guards, and it looks like neither Givi nor H&B will fit a 2011 california model without modifications. I saw someone trimmed a little plastic on what might be an older california bike to mount an H&B guard.

Will a SW Motech guard fit? Someone was claiming this one caused vibration on their bike. Did it do that for you?

if there's a Kawasaki OEM guard, will it fit?

Any other guards?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I highly recomend the SW Motech's and it can be done with the Cannister in place but its a tight fit see post below with pics.

These is on a 2007-2009 Versys but the fitment for the 2011 is (i think, dont quote me) the same (2010/11 in video below).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2155

also see

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14347

fasteddies post has some pics with mods.

(that being said theres only a small amount of material that needs to be removed to fit the H&B's up, see post below).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627

looks like pics have been removed but info still there.

As for Vibration from what i remember it will only do that if you attempt to apply maximum Torque to the U-clamp which mount to the V's frame. I've had no issues with mine.

Finally a youtube vid of a crash with the SW bars on.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Seen at a bike group meet. a one-off custom made add-on bars on top of the Givi engine guards.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, I posted that the day after I got my bike.

Givi claims to the contrary, the engine guards fit a 2011 California model just fine. I got out my Dremel for the canister cover, but didn't need to use it.

Actually I installed the Kappa guards, which I think are Givi guards minus US$40 in price. Thanks, weljo2001 for posting the link to those on ebay!

And as far as "fit just fine", I enhanced 3 of the holes with a drill. I added rubber below the frame clamps. One of the holes I enhanced was on a clamp, and probably wouldn't have been needed without the extra rubber. The other two were the left side guard bolt holes.

The main thing I've noticed is that traffic lights seem easier to trigger with the extra steel up there.

Of HB, SW Motech, and Givi/Kappa, these seemed like the lightest--based mostly on shipping cost from a vendor who sells all 3. I also thought they had a narrower profile than HB (which I think are the heaviest). Now that I have them on I'm not convinced they're much narrower. If you have HB, I'm curious what the tip to tip measurement is for those.

If someone wants that info about these I'll post it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was able to fit the SW Motech bars to my 2011 by pulling the cover off the evaporative canister and mounting the upper U-bolts carefully. The upper bolt can be mounted so it just fits inside the cover, no modifications required.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts