Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So far so good. The "mouse" seems to be doing its job. However, it does seem like a design afterthought. All they would have needed to do was to put a 1/4" kink in tube and it wouldn't be an issue. In any case, the part of the faring that touches the crash bar isn't even were you would see it anyway, so it'll never be an issue for me.
Great. Thanks. I'm going with the Givi racks for my side cases, so I'm considering the Givi engine guard as well.

·
Registered
2017 300X with many mods
2 Posts
I bought mine with the Kawasaki Engine Guard & T Rex bash plate. Engine Guard seems very sturdy but the T Rex bash plate seems a little wimpy. Ok for deflecting rocks from front wheel but you wouldn't want roll it over a large log or rock :).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the T-Rex exhaust slider and crash bars on the Versys-X 300 that I share with my son. He is a new rider and has dropped the bike twice on the right side. There is a barely noticeable scuff on the puck and exhaust slider. The only damage to the bike is a scrape on the heat shield. I think the muffler itself might have been damaged without the exhaust slider.

I like that the T-Rex crash bars have replaceable pucks so the bars themselves don't get scratches and scrapes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I finally got around to installing my crash bars. Thought I'd share a couple of photos. Thanks for the advice!

I went with the T-Rex bars.

There were a couple of minor cosmetic quality issues, but I'm very pleased with the bars. They are very solid and follow the lines of the bike well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just fitted a Ricochet bash plate, it’s an excellent bit of kit. Looks like you could bash it hard & bottom it over logs or rocks etc. I bought the bike new in the Adventure version, which came with factory crash bars which are quite sturdy. Not tested them yet, but they look & feel like they could take a good hit, I can lift the bike around with them.

YMMV

·
Registered
36 Posts
After some thought, I've decided on the OEM crash bars.

1) They're slim and easy to install
2) I'm mostly looking for a place to mount driving lights to augment the pathetic stock headlight, and they have places built in to bolt driving lights to them,
3) I don't need the greater strength of the aftermarket bars that attach to the upper engine mount because my bike is a street-only bike and the only tipovers likely are at the gas station.
4) They look good. They don't look like some industrial monstrosity on the side of my bike.
5) The price is competitive.

Photos when I get it installed...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have any issues with installing your t-rex guards? I found the long spacer wasn't long enough, but I was able to crank down and get things tightened up. Now I'm concerned there is some undue force on the guards or elsewhere...

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I never updated my comment. I put some washers on as spacers. Like the bars alot. Really heavy duty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the T-Rex engine guard and the exhaust slider. Should be here midweek. First pieces of protection will be going on soon and the plan is to have it ready for off-road adventures by Spring. Already have a Shinko 804 front tire (not on bike yet) and will be getting the rear 805 either for Christmas or after if Santa doesnt bring it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Their skid plate is nice too, just doesn't cover as much vertically as other brands, but the price reflects that I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinking about going with the t-rex skid plate but then I see alot of peeps really like the ricochet so now Im undecided.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well my engine guards and exhaust slider arrived today but they sent me the wrong color pucks so I got right on the phone to T-Rex. Great customer service. He had me take a pic for their records of the wrong colored ones and is sending the correct ones right out and I will put these in the same box to return them. The gentleman was very apologetic and said they have several new helpers in the warehouse and may just have been a rookie mistake and he would take care of it right away. I did install the exhaust slider but will put the guards on tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine bars are installed and correct pucks arrived and installed also. Installation was pretty simple. Real happy with these engine guards and have decided to go with the T-Rex skid plate when I get ready to order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good deal.
I also bought their muffler guard/slider. I don't expect to "use" it, but I put on a Yoshi slip-on, so I wanted to protect THAT just in case.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts