Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to start beefing-up my new Versys-X. First item on my list is engine guards / crash bars. Anyone care to share their experiences with the different versions available? There don't seem to be many...

I'm currently leaning towards the T-Rex bars. I like the looks, and it seems that they would provide a lot of protection. I'm not sure I like the pucks, though. Are they optional, and how do the bars look without them installed?

I'm also leaning towards the Ricochet skid plate, so I'd need to check on mounting compatibility.

Photos would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know there is at least one person here who has the T-Rex crash bars with the Ricochet skid plate. So, they are definitely compatible.

Tomorrow, I'll take a photo of the T-Rex crash bars with a puck removed if nobody beats me to it. I wish I could take the photo now, but I'm out of town hanging out with the in-laws.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Givi crash bars with the Ricochet bash plate. I had to go down to Fastenal to get a longer upper motor mount bolt as neither of the bolts provided with the crash bars and bash plate were long enough. Getting the motor mount brackets tightened down and aligned was probably the hardest part because they want to spin when you tighten the motor mount bolt. I'm very happy with this set up. Very sturdy and they look good on the bike imo.

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
Has anyone tried the frame sliders for road use only? I don't see myself going off road in this bike....
If you have access to the MOTORCYCLIST video "how-to" do things - awhile back they had one about using 'frame-sliders' vs crash-bars.

VERY often sliders will dig-in, flipping the bike, which is NOT good.

:forgetit:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
South West Mototech Bars. Have Not crash tested yet and don't plan too.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found oem lower cowlings online for about $120 bucks each which seems comparable to the price of crash bars designed to protect them. I figure I'll just replace those if they get tore up in a laydown, or just live with the damage. Sounds good in theory, hopefully won't have to test it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There seem to be some vibration issues with some of the bars too. Is this with the SW Motech or do the factory bars vibrate too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found oem lower cowlings online for about $120 bucks each which seems comparable to the price of crash bars designed to protect them. I figure I'll just replace those if they get tore up in a laydown, or just live with the damage. Sounds good in theory, hopefully won't have to test it.
Good point. Money spent on bars could pay for repair costs.

Maybe the bars could still provide protection in a slower speed drop without the bars receiving much damage. Touching up scuffed paint on a bar would be better than replacing cracked plastics.

This brings to my mind another consideration. In addition to protecting the bike, could bars also help protect the rider? At least in a slow speed drop scenario?. Allow some space between the ground and the bike for a leg, for example? With this in mind, perhaps I should consider bars that extends further from the bike. It looks like the OEM bars may be wider than the T-Rex bars.

Another benefit would be that I also like the looks of crash bars on adventure style bikes. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love the T-Rex engine guards with the Ricochet skid plate. They went together seamlessly, and together provide strong, practical protection for the bike.
The T-Rex kit includes an upper engine mount that is long enough to accommodate the Ricochet skid plate upper mounts. Assembly was very simple and both are incredibly solid. I highly recommend both for your bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the T-Rex engine guards with the Ricochet skid plate. They went together seamlessly, and together provide strong, practical protection for the bike.
The T-Rex kit includes an upper engine mount that is long enough to accommodate the Ricochet skid plate upper mounts. Assembly was very simple and both are incredibly solid. I highly recommend both for your bike.
Thanks for the information and for posting the photo. That's a good looking combo.

·
Super Moderator
19,141 Posts
...In addition to protecting the bike, could bars also help protect the rider?....
Yes. I low-sided my '08 650 at 20 to 30 mph. Beside a bit of 'paint-scrapes' and scratches, there was NO damage to the bike - my pants got abraded on the left leg, but otherwise I was protected.

When I was forced off the Dempster Hwy in '15 (on my '09), there was absolutely NO damage (OR abrasion) to me or my gear (altho' the frame got 'tweaked', making that bike a "write-off"...), but I DID ride it back to Kelowna over three days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Sil3ns,

I saw in another thread where you mentioned that the Givi engine guard might rub the fairing. How's it working out for you? Thanks.
So far so good. The "mouse" seems to be doing its job. However, it does seem like a design afterthought. All they would have needed to do was to put a 1/4" kink in tube and it wouldn't be an issue. In any case, the part of the faring that touches the crash bar isn't even were you would see it anyway, so it'll never be an issue for me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts