Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike should be done by next week and includes the engine guard, 12v adapter and center stand. I did not get the Kawi optional "fog" lights that mount on the engine guard as I seldom ride at night. Then I got to thinking that maybe a reason to have them was for greater visibility during the day. Has anyone considered this? There are some posting about replacing the stock tailight bulbs with brighter ones. I'm all for anything that increases my visibility. I'm assuming the headlight comes on automatically when starting the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have two sets of LEDs on my V-Strom 1000 with the Mondomotos on all of the time with the key just for visibility. They are the first things traffic typically sees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely for greater daytime visibility. Does anyone know what type connector the Kawasaki fog light harness has? I'm interested in the DM micro style lights supplied with Deutsch connectors. Would like to run them all the time when key is on, but the Kawi fog light harness has a switch plug, so I don't know how all that would work.

Forgot to ask...I've been unsuccessfully trying to find a website for Mondo Moto. Are they still in biz?

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Definitely for greater daytime visibility. Does anyone know what type connector the Kawasaki fog light harness has? I'm interested in the DM micro style lights supplied with Deutsch connectors. Would like to run them all the time when key is on, but the Kawi fog light harness has a switch plug, so I don't know how all that would work.

Forgot to ask...I've been unsuccessfully trying to find a website for Mondo Moto. Are they still in biz?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/101977-fuzing-wiring-auxiliary-devices-relay-led-lights.html?highlight=mondo I checked the saved link, looks like they are gone, my last contact with them was they were no longer shipping to Canada. Looks like they are done.

Below is some links for the plugs, you will need to sort out which one.

050 Connectors

Motorcycle MT .090 Sealed Series - Connector and Terminals

·
Registered
445 Posts
First, I bought my bike used with the following, so I know nothing about brands or how to install. IMHO, the best increase in visibility to the front is the flashing front high beam light. It is so easy to use, just leave your high beam on. If you need high beam at night, there is a little light sensor mounted up front that stops the modulation of the light when it is dark. ( I know it works, because the flashing stops when I pull in to my garage). To the rear there are some small, red LED's at top of license plate that flash those lights 3 times (I think) when I first apply the brake lever. When at a stop and a driver has not yet arrived behind me, I grip and release the brake lever repeatedly so that the blinking of lights happens as somebody approaches. Just my $0.02, keep us posted.

·
Registered
399 Posts
First, I bought my bike used with the following, so I know nothing about brands or how to install. IMHO, the best increase in visibility to the front is the flashing front high beam light. It is so easy to use, just leave your high beam on. If you need high beam at night, there is a little light sensor mounted up front that stops the modulation of the light when it is dark. ( I know it works, because the flashing stops when I pull in to my garage). To the rear there are some small, red LED's at top of license plate that flash those lights 3 times (I think) when I first apply the brake lever. When at a stop and a driver has not yet arrived behind me, I grip and release the brake lever repeatedly so that the blinking of lights happens as somebody approaches. Just my $0.02, keep us posted.
Stay away from OEM crash bars. they are complete crap. I dropped the bike and not only the bar got bent, but all the front faring got broke. The OEM crash bar is attached mainly in one place, and the second place of attachment is the very think plate in the front, which bents at any minor crash. It is crap. I am ordering a new crash bar. I made the mistake of buying the fully loaded versys300, and what I got in return? the center stand is a good thing; the low-quality side cases are ok. the fog lights do not serve any purpose; not only they do not illuminate the road, but they are not even adequate as visibility lights. I drove with my friend, who was behind me, with these lights, and I could not see them at all. all I could see is the main light, which I converted to LED plus LED parking lights. Kawasaki is cutting corners where they can. It is really disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
...the fog lights do not serve any purpose; not only they do not illuminate the road, but they are not even adequate as visibility lights. I drove with my friend, who was behind me, with these lights, and I could not see them at all....
I rode w/ "Pekes17" for an hour on Weds, him following.

I could see him quite well in my mirrors, (ALL three lights, PLUS the DRLs) so I would suggest you look at WHERE they are pointed!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stay away from OEM crash bars. they are complete crap. I dropped the bike and not only the bar got bent, but all the front faring got broke. The OEM crash bar is attached mainly in one place, and the second place of attachment is the very think plate in the front, which bents at any minor crash.
Wow, what did you do, hit a steel utility pole or something. I've dropped mine twice in the woods and only broke a mirror, the crash bars did what they're expected to do. Each crash bar is attached to the bike at two points, in the front and on the side, bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow, what did you do, hit a steel utility pole or something. I've dropped mine twice in the woods and only broke a mirror, the crash bars did what they're expected to do. Each crash bar is attached to the bike at two points, in the front and on the side, bolted to the frame.
actually I had just a gentle fall at the corner. I guess it was the angle of the fall that exposed the vulnerability of the crash bar. the bar is attached indeed in two places, but the front does not count, because it is just a joke thin plate that can easily cave in. so far you have been lucky, but let's see how long the luck holds. i am now getting this crash bar, which
crash bar.jpg
also protects the upper faring. from what I have seen, Give, SW motech, etc. this one seems to protect the bike the most. I have also the same bash plate which I installed mostly to hide the ugly underbelly of the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts