Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my versys on a dirt road. It landed on the left side and the engine cover was smashed with a rock.
If i'm lucky, stator is not damaged. I can replace the cover (already ordered a new one and the gasket).
But a piece of the cover is missing and I think it's somewhere inside the engine.
Should I take the engine apart in order to check for the missing piece? Is it possible at all to do this on my own in the parking lot?

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
29 Posts
" ... is it possible at all to do this on my own in the parking lot"?
I would say no, find a small garage space (friend) where you are able to leave the bike overnight. Nothing is worse than being in a pinch and where you have to roll out. Things go sideways, have a plan before draining the oil to remove the Alternator cover.

BTW, after my covers got busted, I invested into R&G covers, they go right over, and saved Hornet many times!
Stator site
Kawasaki Versys and ER-6 Left Hand Side Engine Case Cover - ECC0121BK
Clutch site
Kawasaki Versys and ER-6 Right Hand Side Engine Case Cover - ECC0121BK

1596323324020.png

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you a lot @moto4you! According to the manual, in order to get rid of debris, I need to:
1) remove the oil pan and clean it
2) remove internal oil filter? and clean it
3) remove the oil screen and clean it
Do I get it right - versys has an external oil filter (which you replace while changing oil) and 2 more internal filters?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW I forgot to order oil pan gasket... is it really necessary to replace it on a 3 year old bike when you remove an oil pan?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Should I take the engine apart in order to check for the missing piece? Is it possible at all to do this on my own in the parking lot?
you're just going to replace the cover, the missing piece is not inside the engine cases. do not remove the oil pan, it's not necessary.

this is a very simple job, and you can do it in the parking lot, no special tools required. caveats, couple different length fasteners, remember their location. the thin gauge stainless positioning dowels are easily damaged, exercise care. make sure the stator leads are sealed, otherwise you'll have an oil leak. if you are careful, you may be able to reuse the cover gasket, there is no OEM sealant.

easy job, maybe an hour, maybe less, depending

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
@jdrocks there is definitely a piece of a cover missing. Do you think it could not get into the engine?
either the missing piece(s) fell off on the ground, or you'll find them when you take the damaged cover off. those pieces are not inside the engine cases, relax.

if you don't have a lift, and are going to make this repair in the parking lot, get some suitable padding and carefully lay the bike down on the right side, you'll make the job much easier and faster.

clean everything up before assembly. i use locker on the stator bolts. lube the starter gear shaft at the blind pocket in the cover.

you'll find out that this is an easy job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@jdrocks thank you so much for the words of encouragement and for good advice!
Despite I'm happy I walked away from that crash with few bruises (gear did its job nicely!) I feel so embarrassed for what I did to my versys.
I hope I'll be able to fix her soon.
That's amazing how helpful and supporting members of this forum are! :D(y)

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
I did what jdrocks recommended when I replaced the FIRST stator I replaced, in my '09. Laid it down on the right side so the oil didn't leak out, then went to work.

Good luck.

:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@fasteddiecopeman @jdrocks I removed the cover, seems like stator is not damaged. Spent an hour removing leftovers of old gasket :poop:
The manual says
Apply liquid gasket to the alternator lead grommet and crankcase halves mating surface [A] on the front and rear sides of the cover mount.
should I run to home depot tomorrow to find that liquid gasket or is it safe to skip this step?
Also
lube the starter gear shaft at the blind pocket in the cover.
you'll find out that this is an easy job.
which lube should I use? I only have wd-40, motor oil and the only thick lube I have is Motul 102984 Chain Paste, will it work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts