Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife brought this up the other day,
When we were all outside admiring my freshly washed and waxed Greenie.
Of course my three grown kids and there friends were present.

On our second date I went to pick her up on my Brand new 1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk ( Blue )
I pulled into her driveway and she was outside waiting for me.
I slowly pulled up beside her feeling all big and bad on my new ride.

Well as fate would have it , I was wearing cuffed pants at the time,
I stopped the bike & put my feet down looking cool.
Didn’t think about where my pant cuff and foot peg were,
And went to put the kickstand down.
Slow motion… My cuff got stuck in the peg and I was leaning that way.
So as I looked into her eye’s I slowly fell over to the ground .

The look in her eye’s was priceless, as I’m sure was mine.
I picked the bike back up, swallowed the rest of my pride.
And said, I fully understand if you don’t want to get on..
Without hesitation she said let’s go!

We’ve been going ever since, that was 27 years ago.
Not the Nighthawk though, sold her two years later…

Anyone else out there got a good one to share?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dropped!

I was road racing a Yamaha R5 back "in the day" and had no help at the track that weekend. The kickstarter was removed so I had to bump start her. Well the R5 was feeling frisky and decided not to start too easily. I pushed the bike up and down the pit area trying to bumpstart it until I was exhausted. On my last attempt I tried to throw my leg over the seat to weight the rear end, it didnt' start and I just fell over with the bike on top of me, exhausted. A couple of guys helped me up. They pushed it and it started immediately! Totally embarrased, tired and I had to ride out to my heat race with my tongue hanging out! Well, I got third out of 28 bikes in that heat race. Goes to show you!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I rode over to Elmer Trett's (late & great Top Fuel motorcycle builder and rider) home in Demorest, Ga years ago. After our visit I got to talking with his lovely daughter and she was telling me her dad wouldn't let ride streetbikes because they were too dangerous. I explained the basics and how to stay cautious, alert, etc. and in a little when I left and pulled out of the driveway she waved at me, I waved back with my right hand chopping the throttle. The bike stalled, I didn't get my hand on the bar, the bike fell over and I felt like a total doofus.......
I feel better now that I finally told somebody! :)
Dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hopped on my '78 Z1R-TC in front of a bank downtown ,pulled out in traffic and punched it only to realize I'D FORGOT TO UNLOCK THE STEERING LOCK !!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I rode my versys to work the day after I got it. Rode up to the guys and sat on it while everybody looked at it and told them how I just got it. zoomed up to a parking spot, put it on it's kick stand in neutral with the front tire on a slight down grade turned around and crash. that was in september.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did something similar. I met this girl and on our first day seeing each other she wanted to go for a ride so I put her on back of my 02 ZX6R and we rode through Prescott AZ up to Jerome and back and when we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel I went to put my foot down and my shoelace from my boot got caught around the peg and over we went.

I cracked the fairing where it fell on my foot (luckily I was wearing steel toed boots at the time). She just kind of looked at me like WTF? We were together for about a year and a half after that, she only rode with me one other time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoestring

I did something similar. I met this girl and on our first day seeing each other she wanted to go for a ride so I put her on back of my 02 ZX6R and we rode through Prescott AZ up to Jerome and back and when we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel I went to put my foot down and my shoelace from my boot got caught around the peg and over we went.

I cracked the fairing where it fell on my foot (luckily I was wearing steel toed boots at the time). She just kind of looked at me like WTF? We were together for about a year and a half after that, she only rode with me one other time.
Hey, I've caught my boot shoestring on that pointy do-hickey under the peg,
twice now, had people watching me too, happened when the light turned green. I musta looked like a big tard trying to get my foot out of it!

So i took them buggers off. hopefully avoid a future moment

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey, I've caught my boot shoestring on that pointy do-hickey under the peg,
twice now, had people watching me too, happened when the light turned green. I musta looked like a big tard trying to get my foot out of it!

So i took them buggers off. hopefully avoid a future moment
I've done it on every bike after that. as that's what mine got caught on also.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Taking my motorcycle test in Farnborough UK in pouring rain on a CZ 175 trail bike with knobbly tires, around 1980.

In the UK in those days the examiner comes out and watches you on 'real' roads, on a figure of eight course. It was torrential rain and examiner would much rather have been doing a car test, he was obviously very pissed off.

Halfway round the first circuit of the figure eight, he leaps out in front of me to test my emergency stop-I was so surprised, jumped on the brakes and promptly feel off. He comes running up, apologizes and says,
"sorry that was a bit sudden. Tell you what one more circuit and you've passed and we can both get out of this terrible rain".

CZ wouldn't kick start, so asked if I could bump start it-"yes yes, fine get on with it". Stuck it in 3rd (very low geared bike), ran it along the road let the clutch out. it fired up. BUT, when I fell over, I had unknown to me, stuck the throttle grip in full open position as I slid along the road.

Bike took off, couldn't get on it had to let go and it went about 10feet into a parked car (no kill switch on CZ in th)ose days.

Look around and examiner had gone.

No I didn't pass, took it again about 3 weeks later (not much waiting in those days), bright sunny day-slackend off the brakes, different examiner no more 'L' plate.

Machog

·
Registered
171 Posts
On my way home from work one afternoon earlier this year.I was cruizng through town,with a pretty hot lady in a z4 next to me.Doing about 30 mph when a bee hit me on the chest and flipped up into my helmet,the litle bastard stung me on the lip,so needless to say I freaked out a little bit and actually ripped my visor off uttering some rather tastefull language, trying to get the stinger out,I don't think she was impressed.as she quickly changed lanes to get away from the foul mouthed visor yielding weirdo

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I had just fueled up and started my beautiful V (all of about 6 mos. old) when a man and his wife and kids pull up right next to me. He asks how I like the Versys and I tell him I love it and proceed to tell him what I love about "her". He says he's going to get a bike in the next week and the V is on his short list. We say our farewells and just as he's about to pull away I put her in gear and my baby promptly cuts off due to the kickstand still being down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts