Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my headlights and motolights dim when I stop at a light. This no doubt has an effect on the rest of the electrical system including the fuel injection electronics, and any accessories you plug-in (i.e. hardwired gps), ect.

I'm thinking of adding a .25 farad capacitor to combat the electrical fluctuations.

Anyone think this will work? Any other bright ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't think the cap is going to cut it for the timescale of fluctuations you're looking at.

E=1/2CV^2 or power(joules) = 1/2 capacitance(farads) x voltage squared
power = 1/2 x .25F x 14.7V^2
power = .5 x .25 x 216
power = 27 joules

This is about 27 watt seconds of power - your capacitor will support a load of 27 watts for one second before it is completely discharged. I concur with making sure the idle is within spec. You may also want to make sure the battery has the correct level of electrolyte and the alternator output is within spec - both high and low voltage as too high of a voltage can damage the battery and too low of a voltage can cause the battery to discharge.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The alternator output drops off at low RPM. This is completely normal,and a capacitor won't help. This is not like an auto, where there is plenty of output at idle. Leave it alone unless you like spending lots of money on a new rectifier/regulator.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Versys has an excellent charging system, as others say, don't worry about it.

24 amps & 14 volts @ 5000 rpm. 24 x 14 = 336 Watts Watts / Volts = Amps Amps x Volts = Watts

I have a small volt meter on the V and always even sitting at lights with blinkers on and heated gear, no issues-unless I was there for hours.

I run the following with no problems, could run more. Gerbing jacket 75watts + gloves 30watts + GPS24watts + LED Strip6watts = 133total.

Machog

·
Registered
813 Posts
Like Machog, I have a voltage regulator on mine.
Yes the bike does dip lower at idle, but this is normal and not at all a problem even when I'm running heated grips and hi-beams.
I don't think it would be worth your money to try and stop the dip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts