Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ordered them through Amazon prime for a whopping $11.89 They work really well.....used them in 29F at interstate speeds...70-75mph. They velcro around your grips and don't slip either, takes less than a minute to get them on and plugged in. Non adjustable but you can feel the heat through tourmaster synergy 2.0 leather gloves well enough.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nice, what is the item exact name on Amazon? 12 Toss, 1 Z Toss, R Toss... :)

Reactions: trialsguy

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Better than nothing

My take on those, would be for someone that has never had heated grips, the price is right to try them. Couple things to be aware of, make sure you get a USB adapter that outputs a minimum of 2 amp, second, theoretically, they can't be more than 10 watts total, my Oxfords are something like maximum of 28 to 30 watts each or 60 Watts total, and 8 times the price.

Edit:
Post below says 7.5 watts and greater than 2 amp, so if that is each grip= 15 watts total at 3 amp, don't know of too many 12 volt to USB adapters that output that kind of current.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The all-important specficiations

and for those who are wondering:

Specifications:
Fitment: for 22-30MM diameter handlebars
Color: Black
Material: Driving Fabric
Wattage: 7.5W
Voltage: 5V DC
Current: ≥2A
Working Temperature: 55-65℃
Wire Length: Approx. 100cm / 39.4in
Item Size: Approx. 10.3 * 12.5cm / 4.0 * 4.9in
Item Weight: Approx. 55g / 1.9oz
Package Size: Approx. 12 * 18 * 3.8cm / 4.7 * 7.1 * 1.5in
Package Weight: Approx. 88g / 3.1oz

Package List:
1 * Pair of Heated Grips

·
Registered
132 Posts
what if I cut the USB jack and connect it directly

to battery at 12V. It will generate more heat, but can it burn the heating elements?

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
USB is very limited for the power it can supply and anything that generates heat requires lots of power. USB is only 5V and most USB outlets are limited to 1 or sometimes 2 amps. Perfect for charging a low power cell phone but not so good for anything that generates heat. This is why we don't see USB powered toasters. ;) Since power = voltage * current, maybe 10 watts is at the most what you can get from USB. To put this in context, most heated grips use 50 to 100 watts. A heated jacket liner uses in excess of 100 watts at full power.

My advice would be to save your $14 and put it toward some real heated grips rather than a USB powered novelty item. Having used heated grips, you'll want to run them at the full 50-100 watt setting on a cool day.

Oxford does make wrap on grip covers like this that actually work and put out full power from 12V but they cost the same as heated grips and have no temperature controller.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-heated-grip-reviews/koso-apollo-heated-grips-review/

http://kosonorthamerica.com/

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
5 Volts X 3=The magic smoke Escapes

to battery at 12V. It will generate more heat, but can it burn the heating elements?
My title says it all, unless you put a controller between , it will last about 1 minute, either start on fire or just blow open.

Here is a dimmer that would work, problem is there is no way of knowing when you are at the threshold of element failure.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=DC+12V+8A+LED+Light+Protect+Strip+Dimmer+Adjustable+Brightness+Controller+US1WO&_sacat=0

·
Registered
243 Posts
My actual heated grips have 5 temp settings and actually get too hot to hold on the 5 setting unless I've got my SUPER thick gloves on, which I never wear because they dampen steering too much for me and because hand guards do 75% of the work anyway. You're trying to stay on the limber side of comfortable, not fry an egg, I wouldn't worry too much about doing this over USB, especially at 2.1-3A which is standard capacity today until the C-spec gets more integrated. My grips are only $40 on amazon though, so def worth the purchase, but still a big difference between that and $11.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts