Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My luggage solution for my KLRs has been to zip tie a "Coke crate" to the luggage rack and then bungie a small "Action Packer" (sold everywhere for about $18.00) into the crate. The Action Packer has quite a bit of room and it straps or unstraps from the Coke crate in a few seconds:

I wanted to do something similar with my V but it lacked a factory luggage rack and the aftermarket racks weren't quite what I wanted.

So I decided to make one from some scrap.

My luggage rack would be very minimal and would take the place of the factory passenger grab handles. In a pinch my rack can be used as passenger grab handles (if the Coke crate is removed).

Started with some 3/16" by 1.5" flat steel:

Added some 1/2" tubing:

And some triangulating bracing and tied it together at the rear:

And some paint:

Mounted up:

In hind sight, I should have used flat black to match the similar factory truss support for the rear seat.

I used a black crate on the V and put an LED brake light on it to get the attention of all of the text'ers behind me:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wait - You can fab and weld and you top it off with a coke crate and plastic tub ?????

WOW.

I am jealous btw. I would like to add welding to my skillset

·
Registered
330 Posts
skillz.
But, couldn't you have modded a Coke crate to the the OEM grab handles?

BTW, I have that Harbor Freight stand too!

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Thrifty & Nifty.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I ran that box on my home built rack too for a while. I couldn't get two helmets in mine though so ended up buying a top case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My luggage solution for my KLRs has been to zip tie a "Coke crate" to the luggage rack and then bungie a small "Action Packer" (sold everywhere for about $18.00) into the crate. The Action Packer has quite a bit of room and it straps or unstraps from the Coke crate in a few seconds:

I wanted to do something similar with my V but it lacked a factory luggage rack and the aftermarket racks weren't quite what I wanted.

So I decided to make one from some scrap.

My luggage rack would be very minimal and would take the place of the factory passenger grab handles. In a pinch my rack can be used as passenger grab handles (if the Coke crate is removed).

Started with some 3/16" by 1.5" flat steel:

Added some 1/2" tubing:

And some triangulating bracing and tied it together at the rear:

And some paint:

Mounted up:

In hind sight, I should have used flat black to match the similar factory truss support for the rear seat.

I used a black crate on the V and put an LED brake light on it to get the attention of all of the text'ers behind me:

Nice rack!:clap: (oh that didn't sound right!:(), I mean great looking luggage rack....:D:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice. I've said it numerous times and I'll say it again. I wish I had the skill set of welding under my belt. Sadly I'm very tool inept beyond loosen, tighten and bang.

Very jealous of the people who have the skills to weld and make things like this.

One question though:

Do you carry passengers? If so it looks to be a might cramped on the rear end. If not then perfect solution and I applaud you. :clap:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Now you just have to add (2) tabs to the back side of the front risers and fab up a quick mount driver's back rest

steve

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can never take the 'KLR' out of an owner. :D

Nice job, actually. I think that most top-box racks hang too much out the back of the bike. This is a sturdier solution.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nice DIY rack. I wish I have the welding skills or have access to welding tools. I did try welding before and it was such a difficult task. Couldn't see through that welding visor. I don't know how the welders see through that darken lens.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Grab some steel and get busy. I have a nice little gas set up from CL. Lots of fun learning and building stuff on your own.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Neat job!

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
melonhead - doesn't say where you're from in the top right - would that be Saskatchewsan???
You're close. I'm in Texas. :)

Today I took a short ride through what passes for curvy canyon roads in the TX panhandle:

... when I passed this sign on the way back:

That's about as close to Canada as I'm likely to get for a while.

To those that expressed an interest in learning to weld: DO IT!

Trust me, with some time and practice, you can master it. Stick welding is a little tough at first, but wire feed welders are very easy. I bought a welding book and a little buzz box years ago and never looked back. Even with just that book, it wasn't tough to learn. Like they say, it just takes practice (but the practice is fun). I've since taught several friends and they picked it up in a snap.

The only downside is you have to spend some $$$ to get a decent working set of tools, but once bought, they don't eat much and you'll sure enjoy having them around. In no time at all, the tools will pay for themselves with the savings of DIY.

RE the comment about difficulty seeing through the welding helmet: spend a few bucks more and get an auto-darkening helmet. You'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wait - You can fab and weld and you top it off with a coke crate and plastic tub ?????

WOW.

I am jealous btw. I would like to add welding to my skillset
Get a cheap welder from Harbor Freight or eBay, then get some scrap metal, do some reading, have at it. Couple of sticks of pipe from a muffler shop is are pretty cheap for fooling about. Scrap metal can be ridiculously cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts