Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased my leftover 2018 last year and really like the V..The remarks from members here about the ecu flash stoked my curiosity to the point where I removed the unit and sent it over to Shoodabeen. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised with the change. No longer am I lurching towards the bars at slow speeds due to the nasty engine braking. No longer am I lugging through town looking for the right gear. Riding on and off since the 70's but this V had me feeling like a beginner at times. The shifting is now super smooth, finding my gear pace is easier and the V now quickly accelerates faster to highway speeds. Only have a few hours on the flash but I think I can hear a slightly lower rumble to the stock exhaust also? Looking forward to setting sag and suspension to make this a truly versatile machine, now that the motor and gearing are happy......

·
Registered
547 Posts
Purchased my leftover 2018 last year and really like the V..The remarks from members here about the ecu flash stoked my curiosity to the point where I removed the unit and sent it over to Shoodabeen. I can say that I am pleasantly surprised with the change. No longer am I lurching towards the bars at slow speeds due to the nasty engine braking. No longer am I lugging through town looking for the right gear. Riding on and off since the 70's but this V had me feeling like a beginner at times. The shifting is now super smooth, finding my gear pace is easier and the V now quickly accelerates faster to highway speeds. Only have a few hours on the flash but I think I can hear a slightly lower rumble to the stock exhaust also? Looking forward to setting sag and suspension to make this a truly versatile machine, now that the motor and hearing are happy......
Yeah, there is definitely a sound difference with the flash installed; it also has more of a growl from the intake when you accelerate hard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed, the flash has made my ride much more smooth, and I do find myself having the check the gauges more often to be sure I am not over the speed limit. The low speed handling is much improved too. A++++

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have every intention to send my ECU for the flash when I get a chance. I do have a question that I didn’t see in the thread and I assumed maybe others would have it as well. The flash doesn’t use the input from the O2 sensors, so is there a certain altitude zone (or any other scenario like high humidity) this flash would have difficulty in? I’m no O2 sensor ECU wiz, but from what I understand is that the fuel mixture corrects for what the O2 sensor.
Please correct me if I am way off.
@Steve in Sunny Fl

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I have every intention to send my ECU for the flash when I get a chance. I do have a question that I didn’t see in the thread and I assumed maybe others would have it as well. The flash doesn’t use the input from the O2 sensors, so is there a certain altitude zone (or any other scenario like high humidity) this flash would have difficulty in? I’m no O2 sensor ECU wiz, but from what I understand is that the fuel mixture corrects for what the O2 sensor.
Please correct me if I am way off.
@Steve in Sunny Fl

sorry for the LATE reply, since the new forum started I can't seem to find anything!
the 02 sensor has nothing to do with altitude, that's done through the comparison of the 2 iap sensors.
Basically the fueling is adjusted by various inputs of throttle position, rpm, iap (intake air pressure vs ambient pressure) differential, coolant temp ambient air temp, and then it fuels the cylinder. under steady state cruising, the 02 sensor may then try to adjust the mix to 14.7:1 . This is actually to lean with ethanol laced fuels, it's stoich for pure gas. folks seem to think the 02 sensr does everything... it doesn't. It's basically fine tuning for economy, that's it. Good initial mapping can do as well, ask anyone with my flash, it doesn't cost them fuel economy unless they're gouging the throttle more.
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
The 3 help forums , How To; Technical How To & Members Only/ Group rides, all filed using a title related to the discussion within . As a example Torque

Torque Value / Chart / MK-1https://www.kawasakiversys.com/threads/torque-value-chart-mk-1.121690/

S for Shock , several threads
click filters Sort by:
Last Message
Then click Titles and filter ,
yes 3 steps to search by title

·
Registered
10 Posts
This morning was my first ride w/ the new flash. I only have about 45 miles under my belt but it's on a variety of different roads and it's my daily commute so I'm quite familiar w/ the route and how the bike performs at all stages of it. I truly don't understand why this bike isn't like this from the factory. The control is so much more precise. Shifting is butter smooth, downshifts are butter smooth, low speed maneuvers w/out the clutch are effortless. I've had several bikes and I've been riding on the street for a long time. This is the most impressed I've ever been with a modification in all my time. Nothing has ever transformed a bike for me like this flash. I can't wait to leave work today just so I can start playing with the different rpm ranges and situations. But I'm already so thrilled. This is one of those purchases where you will NEVER think about how much it costs. There are things I look at on the bike and just see $$$ wondering if I should have spent the money. This is the best money I've ever put into a motorcycle. I already fell in love with the bike. Now I'm falling even more in love with riding it. Thank you so much, Steve. Folks, just do it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This morning was my first ride w/ the new flash. I only have about 45 miles under my belt but it's on a variety of different roads and it's my daily commute so I'm quite familiar w/ the route and how the bike performs at all stages of it. I truly don't understand why this bike isn't like this from the factory. The control is so much more precise. Shifting is butter smooth, downshifts are butter smooth, low speed maneuvers w/out the clutch are effortless. I've had several bikes and I've been riding on the street for a long time. This is the most impressed I've ever been with a modification in all my time. Nothing has ever transformed a bike for me like this flash. I can't wait to leave work today just so I can start playing with the different rpm ranges and situations. But I'm already so thrilled. This is one of those purchases where you will NEVER think about how much it costs. There are things I look at on the bike and just see $$$ wondering if I should have spent the money. This is the best money I've ever put into a motorcycle. I already fell in love with the bike. Now I'm falling even more in love with riding it. Thank you so much, Steve. Folks, just do it.
So, do you like it?:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
It is hard to believe isn't it? My first ride after the flash was in December 2019, some snow on the ground, I was in 6th gear at 60 KM/HR , went to up shift, couldn't believe I was already in 6th . The rest is history. I have over 12,000 KM on the flash now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, after much thinking and talking to everyone I could reach out to, I have also opted for 2WDW for my flash. Mostly the deciding factor was location, they are in the west coast. :)

Very happy with the result, my Leovince is much happier (no more bangs and pops on deceleration), smoother ride overall, I happened to hit the rev limiter without wanting to a couple times during my first ride after the flash, it takes off fast! It's another bike.
Reflashing was never an option for any of my previous bikes (in EU it's a pain), but now I will definitely reflash or dyno tune all of my future bikes!

@Buffalo_Bob I believe I bought a rear tire hugger from you in Davis, CA. am I wrong?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry, not me for the rear hugger. I'm also in the happy flash family. I went for the Shoodabeen, even though I'm in California. Fedex back and forth took less than a week!

·
Registered
800 Posts
i am going to send my ecu to the Shoodabeen dealer in Germany. however, it has only one type of flash 'mountain runner' for bikes with oem exhaust or slip on. I have a complete exhaust system without CAT, so I wonder whether to keep the booster plug that is already installed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Steve should be able to answer better than I can, but I have a catless setup on my 2015 (Gen 2 LeoVince slip-on muffler and Gen 2 OEM header) with the Shoodben mountain runner tune and it runs great. I asked before sending mine in, and Steve said that the exhaust shouldn't be a problem for the tune if the intake is still stock. So if your intake is stock, you should be ok.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Steve should be able to answer better than I can, but I have a catless setup on my 2015 (Gen 2 LeoVince slip-on muffler and Gen 2 OEM header) with the Shoodben mountain runner tune and it runs great. I asked before sending mine in, and Steve said that the exhaust shouldn't be a problem for the tune if the intake is still stock. So if your intake is stock, you should be ok.
thanks for answering. still, based on a simple logic, BP would make the bike run a bit richer and better. there is a big difference between having or not having CAT, I think....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
thanks for answering. still, based on a simple logic, BP would make the bike run a bit richer and better. there is a big difference between having or not having CAT, I think....
Why would you mess up the flash's hard worked fueling with a booster plug? I don't want any booster plugs, power commanders, dobek boxes or witches spells stepping on my flash.
And there's virtually NO difference because of the cat. Go look at my versys 1000 dyno charts. todays oen exhausts are not limited by the cats. They are actually very will designed systems, but the restriction is in using smaller pipe diameters that control power at a pre-determined power level.
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
Thanks for continuing to post Steve. I guess it comes down to following many of your posts and getting educated. If i compared it electrically to power factor correction. I come out and analyze your motors and add capacitors to correct power factor. You see a deal on capacitors , buy them and add them. Something like the booster plug, more isn't better, adding more capacitors than needed gives a leading power factor , worse than lagging. Same goes with the flash, a precisely mapped fueling then what do you think the booster plug will do?

161 - 180 of 186 Posts