Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Yes, I thought you mentioned that the oxygen sensor kicks in once you reach a steady RPM, correct me if I am wrong, the time I am at idle and accelerating the temperature sensor is saying it is cold and add more fuel, once I level out at say 6000 RPM , the ECU looks at the oxygen sensor and modifies the fueling compared to the inlet temperature. So at 3'C , every-time I downshift or accelerate the default is the inlet air temperature?? I shall await your reply Steve, FYI I have some really neat stickers on the bike, I used super glue on two locations to make sure they don't come off.>:) And :grin2::grin2::grin2: very hard not to:grin2:, what a amazing difference. That fuel mileage is accurate, it just proved what the computer says. I was genuinely surprised when I did the calculation. As to riding around 80 KM/HR , really hard to adjust my wrist to react that way, but maybe when this pandemic is all over, I will ride slower in the North country where fuel is far between , many small operators are gone, small towns can't survive , 300 KM between stations is normal, all you need is one of those to close and you are SOL. So I now carry 4 Sigg fuel bottles in my mortar round cases, I figure if I am desperate, I can get 100 KM more.That fuel is premium , stabilized, primarily used on all my small engines, as no ethanol in it. I do have a ethanol test kit.As you and many understand there is no advantage to premium , I also use Lucas top end conditioner , about 1.5 ounces to a tank. This is the first winter I have started to use premium in the snowblower etc. on advice from a large small engine repair shop. There have been studies done, that show stabilized fuel does very little to stop the damage from ethanol in the way of corrosion, it's prime purpose is to keep the burning properties of the fuel alive for up to a year ( some say two years , that is stretching it ).
NOPE, the 02 sensors are disabled. you're running on my fueling. and it's not lean. Steve

·
Registered
743 Posts
Year 2 now with my flash on the 2015 650. Love it, Steve. I really feel like my road riding has improved now with the expanded performance of the lower gears. Some days I ride revving high like a sport bike and some days I cruise more under 5000 RPM, depends on how much pep is in my step that day. The beauty of the Versys 650 twin. The lower stuff was very jumbled before, its real nice now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Year 2 now with my flash on the 2015 650. Love it, Steve. I really feel like my road riding has improved now with the expanded performance of the lower gears. Some days I ride revving high like a sport bike and some days I cruise more under 5000 RPM, depends on how much pep is in my step that day. The beauty of the Versys 650 twin. The lower stuff was very jumbled before, its real nice now.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
NOPE, the 02 sensors are disabled. you're running on my fueling. and it's not lean. Steve
Well my numbers are accurate. Who would think you could get 63 miles to the gallon. I am guessing total weight of me , the gear, all my cases and what was in them around 275 LBs. The top case makes a big difference with a cross wind, which I had for the last 1.5 hours of riding.
So I learned something new again. Could I disconnect my 02 sensor?

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
feedback Excellent!!

Well....since I got my 18 Versus LT i

1. Added a lowering kit from Motowerk.
2. Switched to a 43T rear sprocket.
3. Switched to MRS windshield.
4. Just recently got ECU Flashed by Shoodaben.

All of these changes have been an improvement over stock.
The Shoodaben flash is my favorite. Makes the bike just easier to ride,
Smoother gear changes with improved throttle response. Love it!
It is hard to believe, a before and after ride, at first I thought there was something wrong with my shifter. I was cruising along at 60KM / HR , I was accelerating and when I hit 80 KM/HR I went to up-shift, no luck, that was because I was in sixth gear
. A impossible feat before the flash!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
ECU flash and O2 sensor

Hi Steve,
I talked to you today earlier via email about sending my ECU (2016 Versys 650 LT), when I get my ECU back from you do I unhook my O2 sensor or just leave it alone? My bike is 100% stock.
This may have been addressed in earlier conversations, I just couldn't find it. You should see mine in the mail in a couple of weeks, thanks. Kevin.

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
Hi Steve,
I talked to you today earlier via email about sending my ECU (2016 Versys 650 LT), when I get my ECU back from you do I unhook my O2 sensor or just leave it alone? My bike is 100% stock.
This may have been addressed in earlier conversations, I just couldn't find it. You should see mine in the mail in a couple of weeks, thanks. Kevin.

:funnypost: Read post 147

·
Registered
23 Posts
just pulled my ecu and packaged it up ..should be on the way soon ...
get it,got it ,good
only took a short ride for a half hour but it doesnt seem too jumpy a throttle response like before ,engine braking not as drastic so far but it has been a few months since my last ride .....engine sounds better too and more throaty at lower speeds and rpm ...sweet
well worth it thanks steve

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
get it,got it ,good
only took a short ride for a half hour but it doesnt seem too jumpy a throttle response like before ,engine braking not as drastic so far but it has been a few months since my last ride .....engine sounds better too and more throaty at lower speeds and rpm ...sweet
well worth it thanks steve
Try 6th gear , using some common sense, try accelerating from 35 miles per hour, you will be surprised.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here you go! As far as I'm concerned, Steve's ECU flash for the Gen 3 V650 is a must. Now for the 1000!

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/heat-shields

VERSYS 1000 ECU FLASH- CURRENTLY FOR 2015-16 models. Others to be added shortly.

Special introductory pricing - 225.00 during April, 2020 USA only!

We are seeing some real changes in the sport touring world. Manufacturers are leaning towards either hypersport touring, or adventure touring. The Versys 1000 is part of the upcoming breed of "asphalt adventure" bikes. That's not to say it can't be used offroad... my 2015 V1000LT is used offroad everyday on sand trails and dirt roads. In fact it's the bike I ride the most, as the wide bars, upright seating position,low center of gravity and relatively light weight make it a good all around choice for me. As such, I demand very good low rpm and light throttle operation for offroad, and higher power for on road use. My flash has resolved any throttle jerkiness from idle all the way up. Power increases, particularly with the addition of a header, are substantial. My direction for this flash is very refined throttle control while increasing power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steve's ECU flash

Just got my ECU back today for my 650 and reinstalled and did a quick run down to the store for suds.
Man what a difference! Around town it rides so much better, no more herky-jerky. Good job Steve, your flash was the best mod yet that I've done. Tomorrow is going to be a longer ride, weather is getting better!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Just got my ECU back today for my 650 and reinstalled and did a quick run down to the store for suds.
Man what a difference! Around town it rides so much better, no more herky-jerky. Good job Steve, your flash was the best mod yet that I've done. Tomorrow is going to be a longer ride, weather is getting better!
The revised tuning is really stellar

·
Registered
849 Posts
I know early on some decided that the flash wasn't needed. I think that if we had a pole of all those that have the flash, and ask after having it, if offered double what they paid, to sell it , would they? I think the pole would register a 100% No
I would. In a "flash"(see what I did there?). And then just ride over to Shoodaben and get it reflashed. :wink2:

His shop is two hours from me.

But yeah, the low rpm range behavior is really nice.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts