Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why would you mess up the flash's hard worked fueling with a booster plug? I don't want any booster plugs, power commanders, dobek boxes or witches spells stepping on my flash.
And there's virtually NO difference because of the cat. Go look at my versys 1000 dyno charts. todays oen exhausts are not limited by the cats. They are actually very will designed systems, but the restriction is in using smaller pipe diameters that control power at a pre-determined power level.
Steve
Steve, thank you for answering my question. But for instance, in your tune for Versys 1000, I think you make a bit different maps for stock exhausts and open exhausts, no? I am asking, because I have also send for the flash the 1000 ECU. For instance, you have for Concours something called Area P full system, for fully open exhaust, so there must be some difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally got to ride my bike with the flashed ECU. Steve turned it around quickly, but the post office sent it on an extended tour. By the time I got it back the snow got in the way. I don’t have a garage, and putting the ECU back on the bike requires fingers that aren’t frozen. Was hoping for a closer before and after test so I could gauge the difference better, but having tried it now, it’s pretty obvious. I don’t have a ton of miles on it yet, and I couldn’t really say what my mileage was before or after. I’m guessing I’ll be burning more fuel though, because I want to ride it more now. I was thinking it would be my highway bike, with my KLX doing the twisty bits near home, but now choosing between the two is going to be harder.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Steve, thank you for answering my question. But for instance, in your tune for Versys 1000, I think you make a bit different maps for stock exhausts and open exhausts, no? I am asking, because I have also send for the flash the 1000 ECU. For instance, you have for Concours something called Area P full system, for fully open exhaust, so there must be some difference.
There are differences... and in alot of the mapping, particularly if there is larger head pipes and the light throttle torque is down, the fuel mix requires less fuel because the engine is moving less air. That doesn't mean it's leaner, but some may say the mapping is leaner. That completely goes against your idea that the mixture needs to be richened up.
I don't know what you do for a living, but you're probably good at it. I'm good at what I do. You might want to stay in your lane, and I'll stay in mine, and you'll get a really nice flash for your bike.
Steve

·
Registered
800 Posts
There are differences... and in alot of the mapping, particularly if there is larger head pipes and the light throttle torque is down, the fuel mix requires less fuel because the engine is moving less air. That doesn't mean it's leaner, but some may say the mapping is leaner. That completely goes against your idea that the mixture needs to be richened up.
I don't know what you do for a living, but you're probably good at it. I'm good at what I do. You might want to stay in your lane, and I'll stay in mine, and you'll get a really nice flash for your bike.
Steve
yes, i obviously trust your expertise and do not question it, as I am sending 2 ECUs to you. And I appreciate that you take your time to explain that things. I seem to carry some misconceptions, such as the open exhaust makes the mixture leaner (you kind of are saying the opposite as mapping needs to be leaner ?). I know that some solution bikers come up with, in order to reduce popping in open exhaust, is to enrich the mixture, especially when the throttle is closed upon deceleration. I tried that with Dynojet in my previous Vulcan S, but with little success. The bike kept popping, which annoyed me. Interesting enough, both Versys 650 and 1000 are not popping at all (V650 pops a little if DB killer is removed).

I had many carburettor bikes (still have some old British classics) that I tuned myself; you know, by checking the colour of the spark plug and changing the different jets, position of needle or fitting different size carburettors, changing the compression, cams and timing. so i am not completely ignorant, but the mapping of the modern bikes still eludes me, so I leave it to you :)

In my job, I am actually mapping the human brain/consciousness, because I teach a very complex system of meditation that I developed myself.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
yes, i obviously trust your expertise and do not question it, as I am sending 2 ECUs to you. And I appreciate that you take your time to explain that things. I seem to carry some misconceptions, such as the open exhaust makes the mixture leaner (you kind of are saying the opposite as mapping needs to be leaner ?). I know that some solution bikers come up with, in order to reduce popping in open exhaust, is to enrich the mixture, especially when the throttle is closed upon deceleration. I tried that with Dynojet in my previous Vulcan S, but with little success. The bike kept popping, which annoyed me. Interesting enough, both Versys 650 and 1000 are not popping at all (V650 pops a little if DB killer is removed).

I had many carburettor bikes (still have some old British classics) that I tuned myself; you know, by checking the colour of the spark plug and changing the different jets, position of needle or fitting different size carburettors, changing the compression, cams and timing. so i am not completely ignorant, but the mapping of the modern bikes still eludes me, so I leave it to you :)

In my job, I am actually mapping the human brain/consciousness, because I teach a very complex system of meditation that I developed myself.

I didn't say ALL of the mapping would be leaner, and I pointed out light throttle as an example. And again, not leaner, but requiring less fuel because it's not as efficient with large pipes at moving light throttle air volume. You're approaching it as a "one size fits all" and it's not.
Even with carburetion, different jets or needles target different areas of the fuel mix. there's more bleed over with carburetion. EFI is precise.
When I build a flash, I fit the bike with a wideband 02 sensor, ride and datalog the fuel afr's across all the fuel maps. Then I make changes to the fuel mapping, and do it again. My fuel mapping is done in the real world, while riding. Some WOT work is done on the dyno, then confirmed in the real world. Do you see the comments about my flash? It's because I don't build them in an afternoon of dyno work, or on a bench like others do. I own the bike, and have months of work to get it where i want it.
I'm old school. My name is on my work, and I take pride in what I do.
Steve

·
Registered
800 Posts
I didn't say ALL of the mapping would be leaner, and I pointed out light throttle as an example. And again, not leaner, but requiring less fuel because it's not as efficient with large pipes at moving light throttle air volume. You're approaching it as a "one size fits all" and it's not.
Even with carburetion, different jets or needles target different areas of the fuel mix. there's more bleed over with carburetion. EFI is precise.
When I build a flash, I fit the bike with a wideband 02 sensor, ride and datalog the fuel afr's across all the fuel maps. Then I make changes to the fuel mapping, and do it again. My fuel mapping is done in the real world, while riding. Some WOT work is done on the dyno, then confirmed in the real world. Do you see the comments about my flash? It's because I don't build them in an afternoon of dyno work, or on a bench like others do. I own the bike, and have months of work to get it where i want it.
I'm old school. My name is on my work, and I take pride in what I do.
Steve
yes, I know. in carburettor, the pilot jet is from zero to 1/8 throttle opening, the needle jet is around 1/4 opening if I remember correctly, and the main jet is up to full throttle opening.

Anyway, thank you for your great work! All the riders seem to be very happy about the results, which I find reassuring. I am curious myself how it will feel. Hopefully, i am sensitive enough to notice the difference.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts