Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
some comments here about changing the air box, well some people just like to think they know what they are talking about.
Sometimes, you have to accept that you can't be the only voice of reason on a topic. Forums teaches us that a jiffy... :)

Ok, I wrote "coerced", as in "pressured" to buy further components by typical retailers exploiting one's odd fear of performance loss, regardless of these components being required or not. I don't need to know the exact requirements to make my point, I just know many retailers will screw you at any opportunity...

If the remap is not involving further changes, that's REALLY nice. But when a vast majority of riders don't see a real problem with the versys 650 rpms, the opinion of leaving the ECU as it is deserves some support to oppose the advertising you just did.

If guys like you and me can remain fairly unbiased (and it's hard, I know), then the forums has better value. I think we can agree on an objective truth and only then lay our preferences.

Regards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn’t flash the ECU under warranty. I would also follow the manufacture’s break in period instructions because of the warranty.

I have owned many bikes and I thought the Versys was lugging at lower rpms but it’s really not. I have 18,500 miles on my 2016 and honestly, I still can’t “chug it” along for long without downshifting. I have found that the bike runs okay at low and high rpms but I prefer to keep them on the high side.

Regarding fuel and mileage. I run 91 or 92 octane. The bike runs fine on 87, there is some very slight knocking (ironically when chugging the engine) but I find I get better mileage with the higher octane fuel. I consistently get 50 mpg. I run my bike at 70 plus mph going to and from work and often hang at 80 mph. This engine lives speed.

Oddly enough this is the first bike I have ever owned that didn’t feel broken in until I had 15k on it. Even after 18k miles I am still getting used to this engine and the way it feels and sounds.

The one thing I did have to do, outside manufacturing recommendations, is I had to do the valve lash at 12,000 miles. This was before the recommended 15k adjustment. I had to have a 0.015” shim on one exhaust valve and 0.010” on another due to tapping noises. The dealer said it was not big deal but it bugged.

Enjoy your new bike. Get used to it and leave things alone until you have some miles on it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
For those interested in this flash AND an aftermarket exhaust, I have about 2000 miles on my 2016 with the flash and LeoVince exhaust, about half of that with the 'baffle' insert in the exhaust, and half with it out. It runs very well with this combo, I prefer it with the baffle out and will keep it that way as throttle response is just a touch quicker and it really rips when getting deep into the throttle(also sounds much much better). I was making some effortless passes without needing the usual downshift in NM last week.

I calculate my MPG on almost every tank and cant say the tune has hurt mileage at all, just like before its wholly dependent on the right hand. On this last trip I saw a low of 44mpg after 100 miles on SH130 to and from COTA for MotoGP (85mph speed limit), and a high of 66mpg after 100 miles of slow and lazy backroads around Santa Fe, NM (high altitude helped I think). Average mileage about to 50-55mpg which is what I was seeing with just the LeoVince exhaust for 5000 miles before the tune was added.

Initially I was a bit hesitant to grab the tune as it was developed for bike with stock exhaust, but I couldnt be happier. So much smoother on the bottom end, and noticeable increased pickup through the middle and in the higher revs. Worth every penny, thanks Steve!
Good to hear. I'm always a bit hesitant to endorse a combination I haven't personally worked with. I'm sure someone else will benefit from your efforts too. Steve

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
ECU 2015 / 2016 / Is it needed??

a) get the bike that has the performance you need; don't void warranty and waste money on ecu remap for a few lousy % improvement, next thing you know you will be coerced into costly new airbox and exhausts, filters and such...

b) the stock versys 650 is fine between 2500 and 7000 rpm. Below that it's chugging. Higher it's not worth hurting it. The 3500-4000 range is dead center for city riding and it's fine. I think your problem is between the handlebar and the seat... Adapt.

c) it will not vibrate less with aging, simply because the engine/handebars/pegs rubber mounts will dry/wear and get harder. My 2015 has over 50'000 miles and it's not a young smooth "she" anymore... it's definitely a middle-aged cranky scarred boy, like its owner.

d) What the manual says about lowest shifting rpms, it's likely the safety rpms below which the engine hurts again (low oil pressure and chugging). Shift with the sound, speed, cluthing and performance that pleases you. It's your toy.
I highlighted the coerced and the 2500 to 7000 RPM, I am not advertising, I state facts, I owned a 07 with 30,000 KM on it, I ran a 16 tooth sprocket and could take off in second gear from a stop, something I would never consider on my 2015, fact is it is the same motor, but now a closed loop and different fuel map. Fact is if I had never owned a 07 I wouldn't know the difference and might agree more with your statements, in fact I would agree more if you too had owned a 07 under the same circumstances.

Sometimes, you have to accept that you can't be the only voice of reason on a topic. Forums teaches us that a jiffy... :)

Ok, I wrote "coerced", as in "pressured" to buy further components by typical retailers exploiting one's odd fear of performance loss, regardless of these components being required or not. I don't need to know the exact requirements to make my point, I just know many retailers will screw you at any opportunity...

If the remap is not involving further changes, that's REALLY nice. But when a vast majority of riders don't see a real problem with the versys 650 rpms, the opinion of leaving the ECU as it is deserves some support to oppose the advertising you just did.

If guys like you and me can remain fairly unbiased (and it's hard, I know), then the forums has better value. I think we can agree on an objective truth and only then lay our preferences.

Regards.
For those interested in it, no one forced you to post here, everything I have stated is fact, this forum is probably the best I have ever belonged to, 99% of all work on my bike is done by me, the same as my 07 Versys. Do a count on how many have posted here with the new flash, read their comments, this has only been available since late 2018, if you were to go back several years, many complained about this, mainly people like myself that had a MK-1 or MK-2 Versys. My statement that the
take a closer look , you are on your declaring "But when a vast majority of riders" you represent the vast majority, to be fair, I moved my post and yours to the ECU flash thread, as I do realize that some like yourself could take this as advertising, with the General discussion thread, never my intention, I am not selling anything or getting a commission, FYI my hourly wage on this forum is $00.00 USD / per HR which = $00.00 Canadian , some times I forget which forum I am posting in.
Here is a few links on earlier discussions;

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...change-way-your-v-runs.html?highlight=low+rpm

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...onse-anyone-interested.html?highlight=low+rpm

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...0/88345-pc-v-auto-tune.html?highlight=low+rpm

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...ng-versys-650-complete.html?highlight=low+rpm

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
General Discussion / Not Advertising

For those wondering, the post by dddd was in https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/220051-new-bike-questions.html

Initially I responded using my first hand knowledge of owning a MK-1 and now a MK-3, the last reply made me think I was the one advertising and at fault for posting in a new members thread trying to sway him. I don't advertise or state falsehoods intentionally or otherwise, yes I got my back up, I moved the posts, in the process I realized I wasn't the one bringing this issue up, in fact I took the time later to state fact, after realizing my mistake, I copied the posts back and provided a link to this thread.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I wish we could get this on the Gen 2 650s. Everything time a thread on this Flash pops up I get so jealous.
The 'flash' AIN'T REQUIRED on the early (Gen 1 and Gen 2) V650s, AT LEAST NOT for North American V650s which are 'open-loop'.

My '08 V650 runs like the "flashed" Gen 3s do AFTER they get flashed,

:thumb: - :thumb:

while my '15 V650 [Gen 3] runs... differently....

·
Registered
548 Posts
It would seem that some folks are very skeptical about ECU flashing on the Gen 3 V650, and if it's really needed. I've had many bikes over my 55+ years of riding and I've never had a bike that had engine power delivery that was completely flawless and have always adjusted accordingly with throttle, shifting, and clutch control. For many of us, this becomes automatic after a short time and since the Versys is such a great bike, any small flaws are overlooked.

But, if you have been reading this forum for a couple of years, you will find quite a few complaints from folks that have not been happy or accepting of the power delivery, and some have tried many things to take out the shuddering and on/off throttle response at sub 4000 RPM's and have sold their bikes or have expressed regret at buying the bike. After listening to their complaints, I actually found myself grumbling, especially when riding my bike leisurely, and started looking around at different bikes. I tested out a Yamaha Tracer 900 and it had close to perfect power delivery, but I felt the Versys was better for me in all other categories, but I was jealous of Tracers smooth power delivery.

When I heard of the Shoodaben ECU update, It's sounded as if Steve, the tuner, completely zeroed in on the power delivery issues and I took a calculated chance to do the update. The results are frankly amazing from 2000 RPM's to redline. ALL power delivery issues are gone and now I have a bike with the smoothest power delivery I've ever had in a bike, and greatly expanded power band. No doubt I would do it again and I've also recommended folks looking to buy a Versys 650, look seriously at the 2015- 2016 just because of the availability of the Shoodeben ECU update. I have no benefit of making this recommendation and just want to share my experience. I no longer am interested in any other bike.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The 'flash' AIN'T REQUIRED on the early (Gen 1 and Gen 2) V650s, AT LEAST NOT for North American V650s which are 'open-loop'.

My '08 V650 runs like the "flashed" Gen 3s do AFTER they get flashed,

:thumb: - :thumb:

while my '15 V650 [Gen 3] runs... differently....
I'm very curious about comparing the Gen 1 and Gen 2 V to a flashed Gen 3 since I don't have an older Gen bike to compare. Eddie, has your "15 been flashed.

Anyone have both to comment?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm very curious about comparing the Gen 1 and Gen 2 V to a flashed Gen 3 since I don't have an older Gen bike to compare. Eddie, has your "15 been flashed.

Curious about this, as well. And also about the differences many have claimed in the tuning of the '07-'08 Gen 1s vs the '09-14 version.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I'm very curious about comparing the Gen 1 and Gen 2 V to a flashed Gen 3 since I don't have an older Gen bike to compare. Eddie, has your "15 been flashed....
No, my '15 has a 'stock' ECU, but I DID ride a 'flashed' Gen 3 (the '17 V650 of "SteveJ" from FL, who came to AZ this winter - we rode together for a few days) BACK-TO-BACK w/ my '08 V650 [at about 84,000 miles on its ODO...]. Seemed pretty much the same as the '08 for engine response, etc.

Got back to BC and my '15 V650 four weeks ago. So far I've ridden it around 850 kms, and at this point I'm not sure that I will get its ECU "flashed", but that is NOT 'set in stone', so I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It would seem that some folks are very skeptical about ECU flashing on the Gen 3 V650, and if it's really needed. I've had many bikes over my 55+ years of riding and I've never had a bike that had engine power delivery that was completely flawless and have always adjusted accordingly with throttle, shifting, and clutch control. For many of us, this becomes automatic after a short time and since the Versys is such a great bike, any small flaws are overlooked.

But, if you have been reading this forum for a couple of years, you will find quite a few complaints from folks that have not been happy or accepting of the power delivery, and some have tried many things to take out the shuddering and on/off throttle response at sub 4000 RPM's and have sold their bikes or have expressed regret at buying the bike. After listening to their complaints, I actually found myself grumbling, especially when riding my bike leisurely, and started looking around at different bikes. I tested out a Yamaha Tracer 900 and it had close to perfect power delivery, but I felt the Versys was better for me in all other categories, but I was jealous of Tracers smooth power delivery.

When I heard of the Shoodaben ECU update, It's sounded as if Steve, the tuner, completely zeroed in on the power delivery issues and I took a calculated chance to do the update. The results are frankly amazing from 2000 RPM's to redline. ALL power delivery issues are gone and now I have a bike with the smoothest power delivery I've ever had in a bike, and greatly expanded power band. No doubt I would do it again and I've also recommended folks looking to buy a Versys 650, look seriously at the 2015- 2016 just because of the availability of the Shoodeben ECU update. I have no benefit of making this recommendation and just want to share my experience. I no longer am interested in any other bike.
Listen to Bob cuz he will not "Buffalo" you.:wink2:

I completely agree with his assessment of the Shoodaben flash.

It makes a great bike even more fun to ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
no, my '15 has a 'stock' ecu, but i did ride a 'flashed' gen 3 (the '17 v650 of "stevej" from fl, who came to az this winter - we rode together for a few days) back-to-back w/ my '08 v650 [at about 84,000 miles on its odo...]
what?!! There's a 2017 flash???? Sign me up

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·

I have had several PM and discussions in variuos threads , my disappointment in the 2015 came from the fact I first noticed a huge difference from my 07, which by the way exceeded engine response in the 2500 to 4000 RPM with a 16 tooth front sprocket
, I lived with that for over 22,000 KM on my 2015, during that 22,000 KM , the idea of putting a 16T on the bike was actually laughable , yup want to crash and burn. Since getting the flash , the 16T has entered my mind, but just happy to have a bike I can enjoy again. I am hoping to put over 15,000 on it this year, provided I don't need surgery ( it has taken almost a year of pushing my doctor, finally after 11 months since my injury I get a MRI and find I have a partially torn ACL )

I have said many times now, and maybe we need someone like Eddie to get the flash and compare, as without having owned a 07 I wouldn't know there was a difference.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have had several PM and discussions in variuos threads , my disappointment in the 2015 came from the fact I first noticed a huge difference from my 07, which by the way exceeded engine response in the 2500 to 4000 RPM with a 16 tooth front sprocket
, I lived with that for over 22,000 KM on my 2015, during that 22,000 KM , the idea of putting a 16T on the bike was actually laughable , yup want to crash and burn. Since getting the flash , the 16T has entered my mind, but just happy to have a bike I can enjoy again. I am hoping to put over 15,000 on it this year, provided I don't need surgery ( it has taken almost a year of pushing my doctor, finally after 11 months since my injury I get a MRI and find I have a partially torn ACL )

I have said many times now, and maybe we need someone like Eddie to get the flash and compare, as without having owned a 07 I wouldn't know there was a difference.
I have a 16 tooth front sprocket and it works perfectly with my flashed '16 V. Still pulls strongly from 2000 on up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pulled my ECU in anticipation of sending it out during a trip out of town but Steve isn't taking orders until Mid May so I'll have to wait until my next vacation.

The biggest thing I hope will be solved is the jerkiness when you release the throttle and engine braking kicks in during 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The biggest thing I hope will be solved is the jerkiness when you release the throttle and engine braking kicks in during 1st and 2nd gear.[/QUOTE]

Yes,the throttle rolls on and off so smoothly. More sophisticated,less like a track racer. Kinda reminiscent of my old carburated bikes in that regard.That combined with more power down low means less farting around looking for the right gear. Then you can experiment with taller gearing if you dont care about doing wheelies!:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the Hepco Becker center stand. Left stock, there is very little wiggle room on the chain slack. As a believer in having the slack to the looser side($800 mistake on a too tight chain on my KLR), this was not acceptable.

So out came the pneumatic angle grinder. I removed some of the CS frame where the chain interfered. I ground it at a 45* angle. The CS frame is quite over engineered so no worries there. I have about 40k miles on it and there are no issues on that.

The stand works a treat.

For me, the belt drive is a no-go as you really can't do dirt roads safely with it. Now shaft? sign me up. I would gladly carry the extra weight around to not have to deal with a chain. The stock gearing works well for me so changing the ratio is not on my radar as it seems to cruise at 85-90 mph(out west) just fine.

I have about a thousand miles on the flash. No discernible difference in mpg. A huge difference in "ride-ability", especially in the lower to mid rpm range. Enough of a difference that I won't be replacing the V anytime soon.
Hi, I have a 2020 versys650 and I recently put a new exhaust but to fit the exhaust I needed to cut the catalytic. I have changed air filter and changed Spark plugs hoping to get better air flow but I still just feel a loss of power. I’m in the Philippines btw, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi, I have a 2020 versys650 and I recently put a new exhaust but to fit the exhaust I needed to cut the catalytic. I have changed air filter and changed Spark plugs hoping to get better air flow but I still just feel a loss of power. I’m in the Philippines btw, any help is appreciated!
Is it like a fully open slip-on? have you tried with a baffle in? I have a full system Leo Vince, and while it is open, it has a plate in the middle with many holes which restricts to some extend the flow of exhaust gas. additionally, I drive it with baffle in because it gets too loud for my liking. I can just say that before the Flash, with Booster Plug and O2 sensor removed, I did not notice any loss of power; kind of the same or perhaps the bike became somewhat stronger, more responsive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sent my ECU off last Monday to Shoodaben Engineering to get it reflashed. Got it back on Saturday, very good turn around! Took the bike for a nice 96 mile ride this morning to check it out. First, the throttle response is so much better. No jerky starts from a stop, and letting off the throttle at speed is much more gradual. No sudden fuel cut. The low rpm response is much better as well, I found myself not having to down shift nearly as much at low speed as the rpms dropped. These were the biggest obvious changes I noted and to me it makes the bike much more fun to ride and safer to boot. There are other changes made that were not as obvious but these alone made it worth the reflash. Highly recommend it.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts