Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent my ECU off last Monday to Shoodaben Engineering to get it reflashed. Got it back on Saturday, very good turn around! Took the bike for a nice 96 mile ride this morning to check it out. First, the throttle response is so much better. No jerky starts from a stop, and letting off the throttle at speed is much more gradual. No sudden fuel cut. The low rpm response is much better as well, I found myself not having to down shift nearly as much at low speed as the rpms dropped. These were the biggest obvious changes I noted and to me it makes the bike much more fun to ride and safer to boot. There are other changes made that were not as obvious but these alone made it worth the reflash. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had mine done last month and that pretty much sums up my experience as well. Much better than the stock tune.

I still wish the throttle response was better though. You'd think that with fuel injection being around for such a long time and being done so well on other bikes that Kawasaki would get their act together with the Versys.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just curious, how much does it cost to have the ECU reprogrammed? Sounds like there really isn’t a reason not to do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with the OP. Truly makes this bike more fun to ride. Not sure why Kawi's ecu programing is so off...but Steve is there to take care of it.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
32 Posts
The jerky throttle at low gear, particularly 2nd when downshifting then throttling up for making turns is my main complaint with this bike. (I also have a Honda CB300F and it's smooth as glass compared to the bigger, better Kawasaki.) I've also thought of an ECU flash or Power Commander or BoosterPlug. I'm curious whether your ECU flash affects your gas mileage in any meaningful way. I reset the Trip A odometer at each fill and often take a cell photo of the odometer reading and the pump before resetting the odometer. I'm averaging 52.88 mpg on a 2019 Versys 650 LT. Most of my riding (when I have a choice) is twisty rural roads and rural highways (US East Coast).

5.5 gallon tank
1999 Kawasaki Versys 650
MilesUS GallonsMPG
192.1​
3.652​
52.60​
156.4​
2.813​
55.60​
127.1​
2.298​
55.31​
200.7​
3.687​
54.43​
172.1​
3.293​
52.26​
139.1​
2.569​
54.15​
141.6​
2.969​
47.69​
213.8​
4.121​
51.88​
158.5​
3.143​
50.43​
197.6​
3.663​
53.94​
179.7​
3.366​
53.39​
Average MPG:
52.88​
1st (E) starts flashing at 1.5 gal

·
Registered
66 Posts
2019 Versys 650 with full Hindle exhaust and dealer ECU flash: similar outcome as described here. Average fuel economy dropped by 2-4 mpg.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The jerky throttle at low gear, particularly 2nd when downshifting then throttling up for making turns is my main complaint with this bike. (I also have a Honda CB300F and it's smooth as glass compared to the bigger, better Kawasaki.) I've also thought of an ECU flash or Power Commander or BoosterPlug. I'm curious whether your ECU flash affects your gas mileage in any meaningful way.

Just do it! The improvement in rideability is huge, and exactly in the kinds of riding you describe. Jerky throttle made the bike unpleasant, the Shoodaben flash transforms it into what it should have been from the factory.

I think my fuel economy dropped 1-2 mpg with the Shoodaben flash. But my riding is variable between highway/commuting vs around town vs mountain twisties, and it isn't easy to do a direct before vs after comparison.

On a recent 1,023 mile camping trip I averaged 51.4 mpg. Fully loaded with square aluminum boxes and a bag on the rear seat. Mostly rural highway, with some great mountain roads, some dirt, some slower sight seeing.
Sky Plant Mountain Cloud Natural landscape

When I am around town and commuting it seems to average 49.x mpg typically. The difference is quite small, and well worth the $$ cost of fuel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Side question - assuming you have 46T back sprocket - was the speedometer discrepancy fixed with reflashing?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
ECU flash has no connection to speedometer. someone was kind enough to send me the sheet with speedometer values for the 43T sprocket. It seems that with 43 rear sprocket the speedometer reading is close to very accurate.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...It seems that with 43 rear sprocket the speedometer reading is close to very accurate....
BUT your odometer readings are NOT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts