Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the humble warning but I don’t think anyone’s traveling in or to Australia for awhile considering your country has virtually no freedom lol
LOL
No Bud.

Only automatic weapons are tightly controlled.
Apart from that, you can have virtually any firearm you want
as long as you are a responsible individual with the
appropriate licences.

A relative has a gun collection that includes an anti aircraft gun.

No freedom... ROFL.

Apart from all of that, your post is totally irrelevant as I am in Australia
and I am asking about fuel economy because of that fact.

It was you that said petrol stations are close together... but that
is up there, which is irrelevant to me of course... but your mental
capacity has not been able to process that fact boy.

Your posts therefore are a waste of cyberspace... nothing more, nothing less. LOL.

Things Australia does not have, that North America does have:

An astronomical crime rate.

An astronomical debt.

An astronomical rate of homelessness.

An astronomical (mass) murder rate.

The ability to make a multiple bankrupt and arse clown like Donald Trump its leader. LOL

Neighborhoods like this:
Sky Daytime Window Building Cloud

That's just the tip of the hideous North American iceburg that so many of you
don't/can't acknowledge because you've been comprehensively brainwashed by the media
that controls you like so many marionettes.

I feel sorry for you and your ignorance.

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Has anyone done before and after "flash" fuel consumption figures? (preferably on a gen 2)

In some places down here petrol stations are a very long way apart.
Looking forward to returning, last time there was 2013, I drove 2000 km .
This time looking at starting in TAZ

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
Without sidetracking this thread. I used Eildon as a base. Traveled to mount Buffalo - the great ocean road. Hunter valley, Sydney, New Castle - Cairns
This time looking at 2 to 3 month stay
Possibly buying a bike and leaving it in Taz.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Looking forward to returning, last time there was 2013, I drove 2000 km .
This time looking at starting in TAZ
I love Tassie.

It's like turning your clock back 40 years... in a very good way though.
The landscape is absolutely sensational and the scallops have
to be the most delicious on the planet.

A lot of the roads down there are tricky, so take care Bro.

What this fella has to say is very true judging from
my one day down there riding across the top of the
island:

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
I love Tassie.

It's like turning your clock back 40 years... in a very good way though.
The landscape is absolutely sensational and the scallops have
to be the most delicious on the planet.

A lot of the roads down there are tricky, so take care Bro.

What this fella has to say is very true judging from
my one day down there riding across the top of the
island:
Never seen before- in Cairns - Signs specific to motorcycles - HIGH CRASH AREA -"turns that were more than 360 and a drop exceeding 30M .
I have a advantage, my daughter is now near Hobart- nice house, her partner is a electrical mechanic , he had a DR 650.
The challenge is, last time was October November- We should be starting in the north along the coast , north of Sydney and working South.
So starting in Taz may be Late January or February , after school break.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Never seen before- in Cairns - Signs specific to motorcycles - HIGH CRASH AREA -"turns that were more than 360 and a drop exceeding 30M .
I have a advantage, my daughter is now near Hobart- nice house, her partner is a electrical mechanic , he had a DR 650.
The challenge is, last time was October November- We should be starting in the north along the coast , north of Sydney and working South.
So starting in Taz may be Late January or February , after school break.
:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL

No Bud.

Only automatic weapons are tightly controlled.
Apart from that, you can have virtually any firearm you want
as long as you are a responsible individual with the
appropriate licences.

A relative has a gun collection that includes an anti aircraft gun.

No freedom... ROFL.

Apart from all of that, your post is totally irrelevant as I am in Australia
and I am asking about fuel economy because of that fact.

It was you that said petrol stations are close together... but that
is up there, which is irrelevant to me of course... but your mental
capacity has not been able to process that fact boy.

Your posts therefore are a waste of cyberspace... nothing more, nothing less. LOL.

Things Australia does not have, that North America does have:

An astronomical crime rate.

An astronomical debt.

An astronomical rate of homelessness.

An astronomical (mass) murder rate.

The ability to make a multiple bankrupt and arse clown like Donald Trump its leader. LOL

Neighborhoods like this:
View attachment 184387

That's just the tip of the hideous North American iceburg that so many of you
don't/can't acknowledge because you've been comprehensively brainwashed by the media
that controls you like so many marionettes.

I feel sorry for you and your ignorance.
I never insulted you. Tried to offer my opinion and never said any of that or even brought up guns. I jokingly referred to your covid travel restrictions (freedoms) saying it wouldn’t matter if I wanted to travel in Australia or not, it simply wouldn’t be possible for awhile.

Ride safe and enjoy your bike, there’s no need to have such a chip on your shoulder for reasons that aren’t exactly clear to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to apologize to Jungle Phantom and Vibes for putting my two cents worth into there conversation.
It was not called for and was rather stupid of me.
And to the form as well.
I have being a lurker on this site for about a year and have picked up a lot of information and insite
Again sorry for the intrusion guys
Lawrence

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to apologize to Jungle Phantom and Vibes for putting my two cents worth into there conversation.
It was not called for and was rather stupid of me.
And to the form as well.
I have being a lurker on this site for about a year and have picked up a lot of information and insite
Again sorry for the intrusion guys
Lawrence
No apology necessary man we’re all equally entitled to be here and everyone’s voice is welcome as far as I’m concerned

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can say that compared to before no change- However!! Before it didn't matter if I was going 80 KM/HR or 120 KM/HR , fuel consumption was the same or very close. Because many of my trips are highway and long-averaging 360 to 480 KM on a ride. Not always am I starting out with a full tank. When possible, I take a fuel can with me when gassing the car up. That allows me to top up my motorcycle tank, so only one stop on a long ride.

Soooo I get roughly 400 KM on a tank riding in the 100 to 140 KM/HR range-- I get an extra 100 KM if I keep it between 80 -- 90 KM/HR- and that generally leaves me with 2 to 3 liters in the tank.
I have the trekker side cases and the Givi E56 top case, I have weighed the three and the extra weight is 100 LBs- all the time. Plus I have 4 fuel bottles ( 1 liter ) I weigh roughly 98 KG with full gear. I have heated grips and heated gear. So if I was riding in Northern Ontario and not sure about fuel, possibly a road closure, I would stay within the 80 KM/HR range, which would give me almost 580 KM with the fuel on the bike. The fuel in the Sigg fuel bottles is premium ethanol free with stabilizer, emergency fuel only, I burn it once a year, and buy a Gerry can full, add stabilizer and that is my snowblower and lawnmower fuel plus the emergency bike fuel.

As to concern for mileage- I ride for pleasure, my wrist very rarely eases off unless walking is imminent - hence the emergency fuel. I know I can get about 100 KM when the fuel indicator starts flashing, in high cross winds I need to back off on the throttle if that is the distance to fuel--And yes I came close, high winds and way over 80, Fueled up, according to the gas pumps, I had lots of fuel left -0.5 liters

So my final answer on a MK-3 -Not what you have but likely comparable- by riding slower there is a gain with the flash- the MK-2 is it with a oxygen sensor?
As the flash involves changing the fuel mapping-I doubt the change between the MK-2 and MK-3 are comparable.
Yep my Mk2 has an oxygen sensor in the left side of the pipe that enters the front of the muffler.(y)

I have a feeling that my question may be moot, to those in North America and possibly Europe too...
The fuel down here is possibly/probably quite different.

Most cars and some bikes down here run on 91 octane unleaded.
Generally one has a choice of 5 different petrol blends:
91 octane
95 octane Premium Petrol (which I use in my Subaru, Versys 650, and ZX12R)
98 octane Premium Petrol
E10 Petrol with up to 10% ethanol.
E10 Premium... with up to 10% ethanol blended with high octane Petrol

Also there is no variation in the fuel winter or summer.

There is E85 fuel which contains up to 85% ethanol, but is generally only suitable for purpose-built vehicles
and is not widely available.

My unflashed (as far as I know) gen II runs strongly and smoothly no matter what!
as long as it's not below 3000 RPM in the top 2 gears...
gradient and how the throttle is used can mitigate
or exacerbate that.

Possibly its stock engine management
is more compatible with Australian premium 95 petrol
than North American fuel?

·
Registered
317 Posts
No apology necessary man we’re all equally entitled to be here and everyone’s voice is welcome as far as I’m concerned
Have a look at the last post on page 2... it should clarify my earlier response to you (and or) Lawrences
half arsed attempt at quoting?

And Lawrence,,, apology accepted. I can be a grumpy old man at times.

Best wishes,

Alan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep my Mk2 has an oxygen sensor in the left side of the pipe that enters the front of the muffler.(y)

I have a feeling that my question may be moot, to those in North America and possibly Europe too...
The fuel down here is possibly/probably quite different.

Most cars and some bikes down here run on 91 octane unleaded.
Generally one has a choice of 5 different petrol blends:
91 octane
95 octane Premium Petrol (which I use in my Subaru, Versys 650, and ZX12R)
98 octane Premium Petrol
E10 Petrol with up to 10% ethanol.
E10 Premium... with up to 10% ethanol blended with high octane Petrol

Also there is no variation in the fuel winter or summer.

There is E85 fuel which contains up to 85% ethanol, but is generally only suitable for purpose-built vehicles
and is not widely available.

My unflashed (as far as I know) gen II runs strongly and smoothly no matter what!
as long as it's not below 3000 RPM in the top 2 gears...
gradient and how the throttle is used can mitigate
or exacerbate that.

Possibly its stock engine management
is more compatible with Australian premium 95 petrol
than North American fuel?
It's very likely that your bike sold in your market has a distinctly different tune than the ones sold here in North America. A lot of compromises are made to meet emissions standards that are measured in a certain RPM range under a certain load. Meeting those emission standards quite frequently is done at the expense of drivabilty and power output. It would not surprise me at all to see the same bike in different markets behave quite differently because of this.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's very likely that your bike sold in your market has a distinctly different tune than the ones sold here in North America. A lot of compromises are made to meet emissions standards that are measured in a certain RPM range under a certain load. Meeting those emission standards quite frequently is done at the expense of drivabilty and power output. It would not surprise me at all to see the same bike in different markets behave quite differently because of this.
I agree that's a possibility too.

One things for sure though; the fuel is different down here.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts