Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Premium Member
Also I am thinking about the flash ECU on my 2018 V650. Because of the jerky throttle and the sudden fuel cut when you release the throttle.
I almost fell off the motorcycle a few times. The authorized service has done the vacuum synchronization and after that I feel a strong motor braking when I release the throttle, and when I release the throttle slowly, then there is a sudden fuel cut.
This year when I went to the sea and in those 2000km I had a situation 10-15 times that in a bend I have to release the throttle very little and there the electronics make a sudden fuel cut and the engine jerks in a bend while you are leaning.
Not a pleasant feeling when you have 10 kilos of things in the top box and in the passenger seat more things like tents, sleeping bags and stretches.
I am not sure about your statement about the vacuum synchronization. I will tell you one incident before the flash, I was following a idiot ( I didn't know he was a idiot until he stopped on the railway tracks) he was driving a pickup, stalled his POS truck just at the far edge of double tracks, following a car too close. I had sufficient time to respond and as he started moving, he stalled it a second time, this time I was still in 2nd gear, around 2500 RPM , it took only seconds but by the time he got it running a third time, I had stalled and nearly dropped the bike, front wheel on the tracks so it was a challenge to get my foot down and then restart. I have absolutely no issues with starting in second gear now. I can ride right down to 2000 RPM in sixth gear, it becomes a challenge but doable.
That was the best change for the $$$$ and like Steve said, this is what it Should a been from Kawasaki.
Make no mistake, there have been debates about booster plugs and they do work, in fact, I have recommended them when shipping costs are equal to a booster plug cost. The thing is, it fools the ECU by modifying inlet air temperature and enriching the complete fuel map -absolutely no way you can compare that and Steves flash.
Ask anyone that has done it with exception of @Kris , we all have a big smile on our faces!!

Reactions: kardan

Registered
I am not sure about your statement about the vacuum synchronization. I will tell you one incident before the flash, I was following a idiot ( I didn't know he was a idiot until he stopped on the railway tracks) he was driving a pickup, stalled his POS truck just at the far edge of double tracks, following a car too close. I had sufficient time to respond and as he started moving, he stalled it a second time, this time I was still in 2nd gear, around 2500 RPM , it took only seconds but by the time he got it running a third time, I had stalled and nearly dropped the bike, front wheel on the tracks so it was a challenge to get my foot down and then restart. I have absolutely no issues with starting in second gear now. I can ride right down to 2000 RPM in sixth gear, it becomes a challenge but doable.
That was the best change for the $$$$ and like Steve said, this is what it Should a been from Kawasaki.
Make no mistake, there have been debates about booster plugs and they do work, in fact, I have recommended them when shipping costs are equal to a booster plug cost. The thing is, it fools the ECU by modifying inlet air temperature and enriching the complete fuel map -absolutely no way you can compare that and Steves flash.
Ask anyone that has done it with exception of @Kris , we all have a big smile on our faces!!
I wrote a little wrong.
Before the trip to the sea I had both vacuum synchronization and valve check and regular service oil in the engine and brakes.
But I had a feeling that the engine has a stronger engine brake after that service.
And that sudden fuel cut and sudden jerk of the motorcycle really surprise me after that service. Otherwise the motorcycle works without any flaws, or maybe it was just my feeling like that. Since I had been lying down for 2.5 months due to illness, I had not yet fully recovered before that trip so I was weakened, and also the motorcycle was crammed with a lot more stuff than I had ever ridden before so I wasn鈥檛 used to that weight distribution . So maybe all of that played a role as well.

One man from the forum said : "Steve" does someone in Germany that can flash his tune onto your ECU.
So I鈥檓 going to have to check it out next year.

Reactions: onewizard

Registered
sudden fuel cut and sudden jerk of the motorcycle
Alot of us here say" Why do they have to have the fuel cutoff at all, no one likes it"? Kawasaki has to make deals around the world in different markets to increase fuel efficiency to meet ever stricter goals to sell in those markets. Here in N. America it is the same as Europe I imagine. In our Versys case they have the fuel cutoff and on my 2015 650 they leaned out the fuel in the lower mid range. Leave the high end alone as this sells bikes. So we get it tricked out by Steve. Motorbikes don't use much gas anyways. Next trick in Kawis geopolitical bag is to offer hybrids and in fifteen years they have committed to full electric I think. But one thing I like about Kawi Heavy Industries is their no nonsense engineering and desire to stay on top. I'm sure they will carry that standard on to the future.

Premium Member
I couldn't tell any difference at all with mine, a 2018
Possibly the 2018 already had improvements in the fueling. The OP. was asking which place to send his ECU - not if it was worth the money or effort. I have a 2015 , if I had two 2015 , one with the flash and one without. Put you on the flashed one first- don't say anything. Then switch to the OEM one, it would be like being on a quad for the first time .

Reactions: vibes

Registered
Possibly the 2018 already had improvements in the fueling. The OP. was asking which place to send his ECU - not if it was worth the money or effort. I have a 2015 , if I had two 2015 , one with the flash and one without. Put you on the flashed one first- don't say anything. Then switch to the OEM one, it would be like being on a quad for the first time .
I couldn鈥檛 see them updating the 2018 and then going backwards for the 2021 model (what I have)

It鈥檚 possible some people may not feel the difference in throttle depending on their riding habits, but I just cannot see how you wouldn鈥檛 notice the improved rev range.
That difference is literally night and day. You would NEVER find me riding 30-40 mph in 5th before the flash, now the bike handles it very smoothly.
Riding through small towns at 15-20 was annoying because it never felt like I could really find the right gear, since the flash I鈥檝e never had that 鈥渃an鈥檛 find the right gear鈥 feeling.

If someone honestly can鈥檛 feel any difference in a shoodaben flash I鈥檓 not sure what I could tell them鈥aybe they鈥檙e just immune to chugging and lurching

Registered
I couldn鈥檛 see them updating the 2018 and then going backwards for the 2021 model (what I have)

It鈥檚 possible some people may not feel the difference in throttle depending on their riding habits, but I just cannot see how you wouldn鈥檛 notice the improved rev range.
That difference is literally night and day. You would NEVER find me riding 30-40 mph in 5th before the flash, now the bike handles it very smoothly.
Riding through small towns at 15-20 was annoying because it never felt like I could really find the right gear, since the flash I鈥檝e never had that 鈥渃an鈥檛 find the right gear鈥 feeling.

If someone honestly can鈥檛 feel any difference in a shoodaben flash I鈥檓 not sure what I could tell them鈥aybe they鈥檙e just immune to chugging and lurching
yea, i am one of those guys that are immune.

Registered
Has anyone done before and after "flash" fuel consumption figures? (preferably on a gen 2)

In some places down here petrol stations are a very long way apart.
Even if it dropped all the way to 40mpg you鈥檇 still have 200 miles of range so I think you鈥檒l be fine.
I haven鈥檛 noticed a change but I really don鈥檛 pay attention, the dash says 46-48 mpg usually.
Even if I tried to make a specific data driven comparison for you right now the numbers would be negatively skewed by the difference between summer and winter blend fuel around me.

Super Moderator
I get AT LEAST 54mpgUS w/ my '09, and BETTER w/ my '15, so (to tank DRY) probably 286 miles on the '09, 325 on the '15, and that is when FILLED to the TOP of the neck...!

IMG_1664 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P7222557 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Premium Member
I can say that compared to before no change- However!! Before it didn't matter if I was going 80 KM/HR or 120 KM/HR , fuel consumption was the same or very close. Because many of my trips are highway and long-averaging 360 to 480 KM on a ride. Not always am I starting out with a full tank. When possible, I take a fuel can with me when gassing the car up. That allows me to top up my motorcycle tank, so only one stop on a long ride.

Soooo I get roughly 400 KM on a tank riding in the 100 to 140 KM/HR range-- I get an extra 100 KM if I keep it between 80 -- 90 KM/HR- and that generally leaves me with 2 to 3 liters in the tank.
I have the trekker side cases and the Givi E56 top case, I have weighed the three and the extra weight is 100 LBs- all the time. Plus I have 4 fuel bottles ( 1 liter ) I weigh roughly 98 KG with full gear. I have heated grips and heated gear. So if I was riding in Northern Ontario and not sure about fuel, possibly a road closure, I would stay within the 80 KM/HR range, which would give me almost 580 KM with the fuel on the bike. The fuel in the Sigg fuel bottles is premium ethanol free with stabilizer, emergency fuel only, I burn it once a year, and buy a Gerry can full, add stabilizer and that is my snowblower and lawnmower fuel plus the emergency bike fuel.

As to concern for mileage- I ride for pleasure, my wrist very rarely eases off unless walking is imminent - hence the emergency fuel. I know I can get about 100 KM when the fuel indicator starts flashing, in high cross winds I need to back off on the throttle if that is the distance to fuel--And yes I came close, high winds and way over 80, Fueled up, according to the gas pumps, I had lots of fuel left -0.5 liters

So my final answer on a MK-3 -Not what you have but likely comparable- by riding slower there is a gain with the flash- the MK-2 is it with a oxygen sensor?
As the flash involves changing the fuel mapping-I doubt the change between the MK-2 and MK-3 are comparable.

Registered

Registered
Even if it dropped all the way to 40mpg you鈥檇 still have 200 miles of range so I think you鈥檒l be fine.
I haven鈥檛 noticed a change but I really don鈥檛 pay attention, the dash says 46-48 mpg usually.
Even if I tried to make a specific data driven comparison for you right now the numbers would be negatively skewed by the difference between summer and winter blend fuel around me.
LOL

Do not travel in outback Australia bud... as you will go back home in a coffin.

Premium Member
I get AT LEAST 54mpgUS w/ my '09, and BETTER w/ my '15, so (to tank DRY) probably 286 miles on the '09, 325 on the '15, and that is when FILLED to the TOP of the neck...!

IMG_1664 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P7222557 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
I was really surprised to see the post, as the OP clearly is asking about the flash and fuel mileage . So your 2015 is identical to my 2015 but I would think you have at least 100 pounds less than me. Converting to miles per gallon, I get what you get provided I stay under 90 KM / HR.

Since the bike is in BC , too late to compare anything else. Also, how do you find the throttle response? For me it is a huge improvement on the 2015.

Also I didn't think Steve did the flash on 07s .

Registered
I was really surprised to see the post, as the OP clearly is asking about the flash and fuel mileage . So your 2015 is identical to my 2015 but I would think you have at least 100 pounds less than me. Converting to miles per gallon, I get what you get provided I stay under 90 KM / HR.

Since the bike is in BC , too late to compare anything else. Also, how do you find the throttle response? For me it is a huge improvement on the 2015.

Also I didn't think Steve did the flash on 07s .
Is that US gallons (3.785 litres) or real gallons (4.546 litres)?

Premium Member

Registered

Hello,

I found this video of a ride on a 2016 Versys 650. The bike is stone-stock except for Shinko tires, and the Shoodabeen ECU flash.

The rider exits several corners in the wrong gear, with the revs too low. Instead of madly downshifting to get the engine on the cam or the pipe or whatever, the rider simply and lazily rolls on the throttle. The ECU flash greatly improves the throttle response in these situations, and the bike torques nicely out of the botched corner exits.

This is offered as a basis of comparison for those considering the flash. If your bike already pulls at low RPMs like this, that's excellent. If not, then the flash might be just the thing.

John Cutter

21 - 40 of 55 Posts