Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had my ECU flashed by Steve with shoodaben.
My bike is a 21 650LT with 1800 miles on it when flashed.
300 miles or so before removing the ECU I adjusted my throttle cable and chain so everything would still be in spec for a more accurate comparison after the flash.

My results mirror everything most people say about the flash. Better all around usable power, smoother in the lower revs, seemingly less vibration but this could be because I’m able to comfortably ride in different rpm ranges than before.
The snatchy throttle is almost completely cured in gears 2-6, with just a very mild and forgivable roll on blip in certain rpms while in first.
Deceleration is much smoother and less aggressive, fuel cut off is definitely gone.

Only thing mildly less fun is it’s more difficult to bump up wheelies now because the throttle is so much tamer, on the other hand the bike power wheelies away from stops much easier because the power is in a more usable range. Absolutely no need to ring the bike out anymore, the power feels the same, just in a better rpm range.

The flash is exactly as it’s named, how the bike should’ve been from the factory.

Ultimately I would pay for it again if I had to.
Made the bike way more fun, I would never say it’s a 100% necessary mod to do, but it’s absolutely not a mod you’ll ever regret.

Turnaround time from shipping to receiving my ECU back from Steve was 7 days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do have to laugh when I see guys posting about wheeling their V650's. No disrepect to anyone but I just don't ride this bike that way. My previous bike before this had so much HP that the V650 is a walk in the park in comparison.
This is the smallest street legal bike I’ve ever owned, just can’t help but flick it around sometimes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Possibly the 2018 already had improvements in the fueling. The OP. was asking which place to send his ECU - not if it was worth the money or effort. I have a 2015 , if I had two 2015 , one with the flash and one without. Put you on the flashed one first- don't say anything. Then switch to the OEM one, it would be like being on a quad for the first time .
I couldn’t see them updating the 2018 and then going backwards for the 2021 model (what I have)

It’s possible some people may not feel the difference in throttle depending on their riding habits, but I just cannot see how you wouldn’t notice the improved rev range.
That difference is literally night and day. You would NEVER find me riding 30-40 mph in 5th before the flash, now the bike handles it very smoothly.
Riding through small towns at 15-20 was annoying because it never felt like I could really find the right gear, since the flash I’ve never had that “can’t find the right gear” feeling.

If someone honestly can’t feel any difference in a shoodaben flash I’m not sure what I could tell them…maybe they’re just immune to chugging and lurching

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone done before and after "flash" fuel consumption figures? (preferably on a gen 2)

In some places down here petrol stations are a very long way apart.
Even if it dropped all the way to 40mpg you’d still have 200 miles of range so I think you’ll be fine.
I haven’t noticed a change but I really don’t pay attention, the dash says 46-48 mpg usually.
Even if I tried to make a specific data driven comparison for you right now the numbers would be negatively skewed by the difference between summer and winter blend fuel around me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LOL

No Bud.

Only automatic weapons are tightly controlled.
Apart from that, you can have virtually any firearm you want
as long as you are a responsible individual with the
appropriate licences.

A relative has a gun collection that includes an anti aircraft gun.

No freedom... ROFL.

Apart from all of that, your post is totally irrelevant as I am in Australia
and I am asking about fuel economy because of that fact.

It was you that said petrol stations are close together... but that
is up there, which is irrelevant to me of course... but your mental
capacity has not been able to process that fact boy.

Your posts therefore are a waste of cyberspace... nothing more, nothing less. LOL.

Things Australia does not have, that North America does have:

An astronomical crime rate.

An astronomical debt.

An astronomical rate of homelessness.

An astronomical (mass) murder rate.

The ability to make a multiple bankrupt and arse clown like Donald Trump its leader. LOL

Neighborhoods like this:
View attachment 184387

That's just the tip of the hideous North American iceburg that so many of you
don't/can't acknowledge because you've been comprehensively brainwashed by the media
that controls you like so many marionettes.

I feel sorry for you and your ignorance.
I never insulted you. Tried to offer my opinion and never said any of that or even brought up guns. I jokingly referred to your covid travel restrictions (freedoms) saying it wouldn’t matter if I wanted to travel in Australia or not, it simply wouldn’t be possible for awhile.

Ride safe and enjoy your bike, there’s no need to have such a chip on your shoulder for reasons that aren’t exactly clear to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to apologize to Jungle Phantom and Vibes for putting my two cents worth into there conversation.
It was not called for and was rather stupid of me.
And to the form as well.
I have being a lurker on this site for about a year and have picked up a lot of information and insite
Again sorry for the intrusion guys
Lawrence
No apology necessary man we’re all equally entitled to be here and everyone’s voice is welcome as far as I’m concerned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts