Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
(I hate that I'm feeling that I have to do this for a gen-3 motorcycle. I really like the bike but the jerky throttle and loud clunky gear shifting is something Kawi should have dealt with years ago.)
Also I am thinking about the flash ECU on my 2018 V650. Because of the jerky throttle and the sudden fuel cut when you release the throttle.
I almost fell off the motorcycle a few times. The authorized service has done the vacuum synchronization and after that I feel a strong motor braking when I release the throttle, and when I release the throttle slowly, then there is a sudden fuel cut.
This year when I went to the sea and in those 2000km I had a situation 10-15 times that in a bend I have to release the throttle very little and there the electronics make a sudden fuel cut and the engine jerks in a bend while you are leaning.
Not a pleasant feeling when you have 10 kilos of things in the top box and in the passenger seat more things like tents, sleeping bags and stretches.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am not sure about your statement about the vacuum synchronization. I will tell you one incident before the flash, I was following a idiot ( I didn't know he was a idiot until he stopped on the railway tracks) he was driving a pickup, stalled his POS truck just at the far edge of double tracks, following a car too close. I had sufficient time to respond and as he started moving, he stalled it a second time, this time I was still in 2nd gear, around 2500 RPM , it took only seconds but by the time he got it running a third time, I had stalled and nearly dropped the bike, front wheel on the tracks so it was a challenge to get my foot down and then restart. I have absolutely no issues with starting in second gear now. I can ride right down to 2000 RPM in sixth gear, it becomes a challenge but doable.
That was the best change for the $$$$ and like Steve said, this is what it Should a been from Kawasaki.
Make no mistake, there have been debates about booster plugs and they do work, in fact, I have recommended them when shipping costs are equal to a booster plug cost. The thing is, it fools the ECU by modifying inlet air temperature and enriching the complete fuel map -absolutely no way you can compare that and Steves flash.
Ask anyone that has done it with exception of @Kris , we all have a big smile on our faces!!
I wrote a little wrong.
Before the trip to the sea I had both vacuum synchronization and valve check and regular service oil in the engine and brakes.
But I had a feeling that the engine has a stronger engine brake after that service.
And that sudden fuel cut and sudden jerk of the motorcycle really surprise me after that service. Otherwise the motorcycle works without any flaws, or maybe it was just my feeling like that. Since I had been lying down for 2.5 months due to illness, I had not yet fully recovered before that trip so I was weakened, and also the motorcycle was crammed with a lot more stuff than I had ever ridden before so I wasn’t used to that weight distribution . So maybe all of that played a role as well.

One man from the forum said : "Steve" does someone in Germany that can flash his tune onto your ECU.
So I’m going to have to check it out next year.

Reactions: onewizard
1 - 2 of 2 Posts