Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I removed the CAT because I just hate it. Motorcycles should not have one; it is for cars. I did not expect any power gain, but more nicer sound from the exhaust, losing some weight, and having less heat. The CAT needs to heat up to work and this heat goes into your legs. And I kind of doubt that it is not restrictive. It is HUGE.

I have no doubt that proper flash is better than booster plug or other systems, but where I live it is simply not available. You guys in USA are very lucky to have access to all the aftermarket modifications! But I am very happy with my bike. Why to change what is not broken? The bike is sooo smooth and powerful! The Triumph offers different maps for the aftermarket exhausts (i have Tiger 800) which they themselves sell, which is nice. Kawa doesn't.

Just to add, the V1000 will be so more powerful throughout all the range than 650 (even if flashed or whatnot). And I am happy with 650 too. The reason I did not remove the CAT in 650 is because the 2 cylinder engines tend to be too loud with an open exhaust. I had this issue with Vulcan S. I love deep sound of an exhaust, but I hate noise.

one thing is certain, removing the CAT will not harm your engine.

Oh so the baffle and catalytic converter are two different parts of the bike? The big ass box is the catalytic converter. How bout the baffle? Is it the one where the O2 sensor is connected?
yes, that big ass box is the CAT. the O2 sensor is connected to the pipe before the CAT. I usually just remove the O2 sensor by putting a resistor, but V1000 seems to detect it and creates an error code. So I just fitted Dynojet O2 Optimizer, in order to make a more smooth transition between open and closed loop...

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I removed the CAT because I just hate it. Motorcycles should not have one; it is for cars. I did not expect any power gain, but more nicer sound from the exhaust, losing some weight, and having less heat. The CAT needs to heat up to work and this heat goes into your legs. And I kind of doubt that it is not restrictive. It is HUGE.

I have no doubt that proper flash is better than booster plug or other systems, but where I live it is simply not available. You guys in USA are very lucky to have access to all the aftermarket modifications! But I am very happy with my bike. Why to change what is not broken? The bike is sooo smooth and powerful! The Triumph offers different maps for the aftermarket exhausts (i have Tiger 800) which they themselves sell, which is nice. Kawa doesn't.

Just to add, the V1000 will be so more powerful throughout all the range than 650 (even if flashed or whatnot). And I am happy with 650 too. The reason I did not remove the CAT in 650 is because the 2 cylinder engines tend to be too loud with an open exhaust. I had this issue with Vulcan S. I love deep sound of an exhaust, but I hate noise.

one thing is certain, removing the CAT will not harm your engine.
Im from the Cebu, Philippines ECU remap services are rare here thats why I asked for opinions here in this website. Anyway thank you for your input sir I really appreciate it!

Im from the Cebu, Philippines ECU remap services are rare here thats why I asked for opinions here in this website. Anyway thank you for your input sir I really appreciate it!
you will be ok without any fuel map change. if you like, put a booster plug, or something similar; it enriches the fuel mixture by 6%, preventing the bike from getting too lean. I used to have Harley Sporster, and according the company recommendations, if you fit just an open exhaust, you do not need any fuel map change. If you change both exhaust and air filter, you need. this is just Harley, but I think i applies to most bikes. so my recommendation is that you get rid of that ugly CAT, and enjoy your ride! let the bike breathe....

changing the air filter is a bit more tricky as most so-called free flowing filters let too much dust getting into your engine. I have foam unifilter in my V1000, but it is saturated with thick oil and filters the dust even better than OEM one. It is not that you need one; i am just sayihg.

Steve has flashed ECU's from the EU as well as Oz, plus maybe some other places. Worldwide shipping can be a wonderful thing.

Reactions: ltbelmonte1
I removed the stock exhaust because it is ugly, and weighs a lot. No problems with how bike runs.
Put on a Delkevic with titanium can.
there were some negative reports about the Delkevic headers in other forums. I have already removed the CAT and welded a connecting pipe to the OEM headers. Now, I am going to try the Black Widow headers. The flash is already done and it is great. Tomorrow, i am fitting the 2 tall velocity ducts that come from the air box (replacing the short ones in the 2nd and 3rd cylinder). They are meant to improved the low and middle-range power of the bike. I am curious to see the difference.

actually, i changed my mind. i receive the tune for OME headers with CAT removed. And with the black widow the bike was running anaemically at lower rpm. so i fitted back the oem headers. much better.

Again, I'm in California, and exhaust modifications are against the law. I have not modified my exhaust. The long term ramifications of modifying your exhaust (without adjustments to programming) are primarily burned exhaust valves and potentially melted pistons. I purchased my 2016 v1k new in 2018. It now has 40k miles on it.
I change on my ninja 650 exhaust with aftermarket after one year he starts to get really loud so I'm putting back my catalytic the power it's really small you barely see any difference actually you loosing mid range because has less back pressure than the stock exhaust

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.