Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

eBay exhaust

7K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Gigitt 
#1 ·
So after having some early issues with the components, lack of instructions, and overall quirkiness of the installation I overcame the challenge and got it almost fully installed minus a couple bolts to hold on the very unique hanger thingy. It sounds and looks pretty good for something with no name...
Pre installation teardown:

The can itself:

The crazy mid pipe with 02 sensor bung plugged with an 18mm Oil drain plug :thumb: AND dirt bike style spring hold downs:

Installed:

I will have to find 2 longer bolts and nuts for the hanger as the stock ones will not work. Other than that it's pretty solid and the top line of the tip actually follows the bottom line of the swingarm pretty well:thumb:
I think I may just like this.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Ididn't weigh either during the process but I'm pretty sure the new set-up is AT LEAST 1/2 the weight of the stock exhaust. Which I would estimate @ 10-15 lbs. Someone else on here should know what the OEM BRICK weighs.

#10 ·
WOW I just weighed the stock can..............2.5 pounds:eek: I thought for sure it was heavier. Ah well I KNOW the new one is lighter and my seat of the pants dyno says :thumb::thumb:

#16 ·
My digital scale had some issues with the display..I believe the correct weight was 12.5 pounds :D Probably less than others due to the fact it only has 3K miles on it.

#15 ·
This is all getting very relative...

I'm thinking about the Delkevic slip on since it's $50 more and will definitely not have fitment issues with their own header if I install that down the line.

There's totally an advantage to buying a cheapo though, and not worrying about thrashing it. I just know I'm going to thrash it....:yeahsmile:

#18 ·
The O2 bung is standard for some reason. As for the drain plug it was a brand-new 18mm plug from my local auto parts store. The coating looks to be powder coat but not sure.

#21 ·
So what did the slipon cannister weigh? I know you said the stock was 12.5 or 14 lbs or something?

I just ordered the same cannister as you. Any advice on fitting aside from what I read above? What length bolts will I need for the mount and what's the quirkiness of the muffler mount strap you mention?

#25 ·
Couldn't tell you IF it is a standard 02 sensor size threads. But the area you have to work with down under the bike is pretty tight so fitting in a full size 02 sensor might not be possible. As for the expander I went to my local OReilly's and they had one to rent. You will also need (or at least I did) 2 bolts with nuts and washers to mount the weird bracket to the bike. Any two decent sized bolts will work. I went with grade 8 and nylon lock nuts just to be safe. I hope yours will be easier to install than mine was.

#27 ·
My 2011 V2 does not have an 02 sensor at all, so I just plugged the hole in the mid pipe and pressed on!

#28 ·
I could use your help on fitting this slipon I've got. No matter what way I try to flip the little elbow I can't get it to line up correctly where the spring tabs line up or are even close.

Which way does the 02 sensor point once you have it all mounted? Do your spring tabs line up? They look like they did. I first position my elbow with the tabs and the 02 sensor in the same orientation as yours but it was not even close to fitting-the pipe was pointing nearly downward. Here are a few pics.

(I'm pissed and frustrated with this ill fitting piece of junk. The worst fitting pipe I've ever seen.)

Here is how I thought yours was orientated.

As you can see it'll have my can pointing downward.

#30 · (Edited)

Here is how I thought yours was orientated.

that looks to me the correct orientation.

the O2 sensor goes on LHS of bike.
If the bike is on rear paddock stands then the O2 sensor is is at 9:00-9:15 position when you look from the rear. cable end sits higher than the bung so it is clearer from debris.

here is my Leo Vince with the PowerCommander AutoTune200 O2 sensor installed

My 2 springs are on the bottom of the connector pipe.
You spring clip from the above pic is on top of the O2 bung.

Slide the connector pipe into the exhaust where you think it needs to face, then while slipping the whole lot onto the header pipe, slowly rotate the connector pipe so it slides straight on, and the O2 sensor is in the right position on LHS of bike.

Tip: Use come high temp copper/nickel slip (anti seize) on the pipe slip ends will make it easier to slip on.

#29 ·
I'm out of town till Tuesday so I can't help till then, sorry.
If I remember the mid pipe needed to be spun with the 02
bung facing towards the left. The spring hangers eneded up
not lining up with the ones on the pipe. It was a bit of a
PITA getting it all lined up. But as I said, with a little tweaking
it did work. Did your mid pipe slip over the header OK? That
was my biggest problem. Keep at it, you will figure things
out. :thumb:

#32 ·
Once I expanded it slipped all the way in to the raised area exactly how the OEM muffler fit. Have you had any luck with yours?

#33 ·
I guess what I'm trying to ask is how far did you expand? Did you expand just the area where there are the slits in the elbow, or did you expand all the way to the raised area? And was the expansion still slightly smaller diameter than the raised area? Or did you expand it about the same diameter?

I may run into town, 20 minutes, after church to borrow an expander and buy the 02 plug and give it another go.

#34 ·
I FINALLY got this dang pipe fitted, albeit with some slight scuffs on the underside outside edge of my swingarm. DOH.

I had to go to Autozone where I bought an 02 sensor plug/oil plug 18x1.5 for $3. I also borrowed their small size pipe expander in order to get the elbow opening wide enough and flared enough to slip onto the header. Still isn't a perfect fit but it doesn't leak and cinched up just fine. With the pics you guys provided and direction I got it oriented correctly, though the tangs for the springs holding the slipon onto the elbow don't line up, I was able to get the springs at least both on. They are fitted at an angle but work.

All in all, a pain in the butt to fit. It is a very high quality pipe, esp for $150. But you must be prepared to buy an 02 plug, use lots of elbow grease, spray lubricant and a rubber mallet to get it to fit. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TRAVEL TO AUTOZONE AND BORROW A TAILPIPE EXPANDER TOOL. You should also tape your swingarm up to keep the muffler and rearset from scuffing it up as you are pounding and moving things around.

If I had to do it over again I'd buy a brand name pipe.
I will say that the sound isn't overly loud, nor soft. It has a nice rumble, this with the insert left in. I'll post a pic when I get second.

#35 ·
Here is the pic of the elbow after a lot of elbow grease and lube. This is more to show how the spring tangs didn't line up. Luckily I have a real good spring puller and with me on my back, bike in gear and bracing on the rear wheel I was able to get it to pull far enough to attach across the angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.