Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having some early issues with the components, lack of instructions, and overall quirkiness of the installation I overcame the challenge and got it almost fully installed minus a couple bolts to hold on the very unique hanger thingy. It sounds and looks pretty good for something with no name...
Pre installation teardown:

The can itself:

The crazy mid pipe with 02 sensor bung plugged with an 18mm Oil drain plug :thumb: AND dirt bike style spring hold downs:

Installed:

I will have to find 2 longer bolts and nuts for the hanger as the stock ones will not work. Other than that it's pretty solid and the top line of the tip actually follows the bottom line of the swingarm pretty well:thumb:
I think I may just like this.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Here is a little craptastic quality video of the exhaust in action. It's raining pretty solid today so no chance for a test ride....
WHAT...? Your bike NEVER been dirty, Jeff?;)

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much lighter is the exhaust over stock?
Ididn't weigh either during the process but I'm pretty sure the new set-up is AT LEAST 1/2 the weight of the stock exhaust. Which I would estimate @ 10-15 lbs. Someone else on here should know what the OEM BRICK weighs.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much lighter is the exhaust over stock?
WOW I just weighed the stock can..............2.5 pounds:eek: I thought for sure it was heavier. Ah well I KNOW the new one is lighter and my seat of the pants dyno says :thumb::thumb:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
WOW I just weighed the stock can..............2.5 pounds:eek: I thought for sure it was heavier. Ah well I KNOW the new one is lighter and my seat of the pants dyno says :thumb::thumb:
That MUST be uncomfortable, Jeff. TWO thumbs UP your seat of the pants dyno...!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is all getting very relative...

I'm thinking about the Delkevic slip on since it's $50 more and will definitely not have fitment issues with their own header if I install that down the line.

There's totally an advantage to buying a cheapo though, and not worrying about thrashing it. I just know I'm going to thrash it....:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think their actually supposed to weigh 17lbs.
My digital scale had some issues with the display..I believe the correct weight was 12.5 pounds :D Probably less than others due to the fact it only has 3K miles on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What is the coating on the can: anodizing, powder or paint?

Did you ask them if they'd send it without the o2 bung? Sounds like you just stuck an old oil drain plug in it? The stock drain plug thread size work on it, 12x1.5 pitch I think?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Did you ask them if they'd send it without the o2 bung? Sounds like you just stuck an old oil drain plug in it? The stock drain plug thread size work on it, 12x1.5 pitch I think?
The O2 bung is standard for some reason. As for the drain plug it was a brand-new 18mm plug from my local auto parts store. The coating looks to be powder coat but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts

The O2 bung is standard for some reason. As for the drain plug it was a brand-new 18mm plug from my local auto parts store. The coating looks to be powder coat but not sure.
Sounds like a standard Car Drain plug rather than an old Versys one.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts