Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Not familiar with this product but the old adage "you get what you pay for" might be worth considering.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Motorcycle-superstore.com sells EBC organic pads for about $28 for rear and $38 for front. Scintered pads are more but still worth the price IMHO. And EBC is a respected brand. Other members may have found better prices or prefer other brands. Hopefully they will chime in and offer more info.

Carbon kevlar sounds impressive but $11.99 for a set of 4 pads is too good to believe and sets my antennae to quivering something terrible.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I do NOT take chances with my brakes, I don't need them to break at the wrong time. I'll cut corners on lot of things but never brakes or tires.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
In Canada, I paid $48.25 for each front and $40.90 for the rear, EBC pads.

These eBay jobbies are probably that cheap for a reason. The company is in the USA, but the pads could be sourced from any overseas sketchy factory. It's worth it to pay money for your brakes, IMO.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
You should try out Volar's sintered HH pads... Original pads are Tokico sintered HH as well.

Volar are good pads. They've been tried and liked on various models... Having said that, I do like my Vesrah (Japan) RJL sintered HH pads very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintered-HH-Front-Brake-Pads-2007-2011-Kawasaki-KLE-650-Versys-/360463667588?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Versys&hash=item53ed4f1184

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/Motorcycle-Brake-Pads.html

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having replaced my stock Tokico pads with EBC HH pads on the front I notice there is a HUGE improvement in braking performance. All brake pads do not perform the same in my experience. For this reason I would speculate that these are no real bargain.

I found the EBC sintered HH pads are MUCH less grabby and MUCH more linear in grip so you can brake a lot harder without as much risk of accidental lockup. Guessing there are other good pads like these out there but probably not at bargain prices.

Since most Versys don't have ABS I would be inclined to get the best brake pads available although expensive racing pads may not perform well on the street as they require high heat to work effectively.

·
Registered
720 Posts
In general, carbon/organic pads doesnt really work well in street settings. In cold, the grip is poor. But in track, it is a different story, as the constant braking heats up everything, the pads can really hold.

Anyway i use EBC hh pads and i love it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just for the record I've used those brake pads from e-bay on my XT660. That bike came with GG pads from the factory and I decided to try those GG pads from e-bay (kevlar/organic are GG). They work fine, they won't kill you, don't last very long, pretty much the same as going for EBC GG pads... But much cheaper. I tried a rear set first, I wasn't going to put those things in the front, and managed to get them done in 3000kms of abuse. Then I replaced front and rear with those and well, the rear without abuse lasted 4,000kms and the front 6,000kms, just like the EBC GG pads, on the other hand the OEM Brembo were good for 17,000 in the rear and 20,000 in the front, so eventhough they are much more expensive than the EBC I went back to the OEM Brembo.

I wouldn't use them on the Versys as the Versys came with HH pads from the factory.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Versys brakes ain't crappy you would have to go to Harley or KLR for that. The Versys is not a ZX-10R. On one sided calipers the piston side pad wears more. You will note that one O.E.M. pads the piston side pad is thicker. Ain't the case on EBC pads I have used. The fit of O.E.M. pads also seem to be better than EBC. I have also used Galfer pads. Neither seem to work better than the O.E.M. pads and don't last as long.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They are actually pretty crappy, there are many other bikes out there with single disks up front that brake better than the Versys. I can't tell exactly what makes the brakes so bad on the Versys, probably the master cylinder, as those floating calipers work pretty good on the Wee Strom (they use the same calipers). Then there is the "feel", floating calipers suck at that, opposed piston calipers are much more progressive and provide feedback.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
They are actually pretty crappy, there are many other bikes out there with single disks up front that brake better than the Versys. I can't tell exactly what makes the brakes so bad on the Versys, probably the master cylinder, as those floating calipers work pretty good on the Wee Strom (they use the same calipers). Then there is the "feel", floating calipers suck at that, opposed piston calipers are much more progressive and provide feedback.
I can't think of any except dirt bikes. Maybe it is operator error. I installed some Galfter lines and it improved the feel a bit. It will do a stoppie, not one finger like the ZX-10R and with lots of front end dive. What more do you want?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can't think of any except dirt bikes. Maybe it is operator error. I installed some Galfter lines and it improved the feel a bit. It will do a stoppie, not one finger like the ZX-10R and with lots of front end dive. What more do you want?
+1 on that. EBC HH pads and my V brakes quite nicely.I get good feel from the lever and granted, I need to use two fingers, but so what? I never have understood why so many complain about the brakes but then again, I got my V used and it had EBC rotors as well as the pads, so maybe the combo is why I like it. The master cylinder is stock, however, and the MC and the pads are the usual reason for poor braking feel and performance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You should try out Volar's sintered HH pads... Original pads are Tokico sintered HH as well.

Volar are good pads. They've been tried and liked on various models... Having said that, I do like my Vesrah (Japan) RJL sintered HH pads very much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintered-HH-Front-Brake-Pads-2007-2011-Kawasaki-KLE-650-Versys-/360463667588?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Versys&hash=item53ed4f1184

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/Motorcycle-Brake-Pads.html

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/about-us.html
What's your disc wear like?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts