Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had your bikes dyno'd after changing the silencer ?

Was the air / fuel ratio still within spec ?

Just concerned about the bike running too lean with pipe changed .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Shawn,
there has been a couple of posts that address this issue. I posted something about the Sub throttle plates, and was informed that when stock, the V. runs rich as the revs rise, so I'd imagine you'll be okay. I have an exhaust and no problems.
Aus,
Erik!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moto

I had a dealer tell me the bike will run leaner with an aftermarket pipe and that I need to have it dyno'd to check it out .

My bike is pulling stronger right through the rev range except the last 1500 rpm . ( it did pull right to limiter with standard pipe )

·
Registered
159 Posts
my bike was running rich uppon startup causing it to has a somewhat hard time starting and just all around out of tune throughout the rpms after a change, highly recomend dyno tuning, worked great and picked up a few ponies!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my bike was running rich uppon startup causing it to has a somewhat hard time starting and just all around out of tune throughout the rpms after a change, highly recomend dyno tuning, worked great and picked up a few ponies!
What did they do to get the bike running properly as you cant change the air fuel ratio on FI , unless you fit a power commander or similar product ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
well yeah you have to have the power commander and thats what they use to load up a new map on your bike, if you make any mods involving fuel or aspiration, drop 300 bucks and just have it tuned, you wont be sorry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont want to do a power commander as I will lose my warranty .

Only changes allowed is the pipe , cant even change the airfilter without loosing the warranty . ( this part of the world ) .

·
Registered
186 Posts
Stay with the stock pipes and setup friend . These folks doing exhausts , power commanders and throttle body mods are only get about 1-2 additional horse power .
What they are getting along with that is the need for allot of other adjustments to compensate for the new pipe . If it is racket you want to hear going down the road . Just get you one of those Varoom machines and put some extra speakers on the tail and blast it . I mean , I outrun my exhaust anyway . Whats all the racket for . the neighbors .
What I like most a bout the V is her stealthyness . I can slip up on about anyone with it . If you insist on racket , spend the cash , around 3-4 hundred bux for nearly no gain in power and a load of noise .

That's the real deal ...................

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the standard pipe sounds lame , I also ride in the worst of traffic to work and a loud pipe warns the road users im there .

Different strokes for different folks .

·
Registered
429 Posts
Stay with the stock pipes and setup friend . These folks doing exhausts , power commanders and throttle body mods are only get about 1-2 additional horse power .
What they are getting along with that is the need for allot of other adjustments to compensate for the new pipe . If it is racket you want to hear going down the road . Just get you one of those Varoom machines and put some extra speakers on the tail and blast it . I mean , I outrun my exhaust anyway . Whats all the racket for . the neighbors .
What I like most a bout the V is her stealthyness . I can slip up on about anyone with it . If you insist on racket , spend the cash , around 3-4 hundred bux for nearly no gain in power and a load of noise .

That's the real deal ...................
LOL, and there you have it!

That's exactly how I felt when I first picked up my bike, but when I hear that exhaust singing, which it does for a couple thousand RPMs, quietly, I want MORE! I want my dirt bike to be STEALTHY. I'd rather never have anybody even know I'm in the woods. I want my Versys to be MEDIUM. I like the stock can, but I want a few more DBs, I want to hear it singing to me, but not so much that my neighbors will hear me every time I leave and come home, nor do I wish to attract the watchful eyes of the popo.

Have fun with your bikes!

·
Registered
365 Posts
i personnally do alot of touring, running louder pipes can be a headache after i while, yeah i like a little rumble, but if i can't pick up any appreciable power increase, why bother? also i'm not interested in losing any gas mileage, considering the cost of it now....it's also hard to beat the quality of stock parts as opposed to aftermarket.....i'm waiting to hear some dyno numbers with a pipe change...any of you guys that are doing this try to give a breakdown on which changes gave the most bang for the buck.......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Topics like this are what make me appreciate how different folks see things from different angles . Man , I KNOW you are glad you aren't just like me . LOL
You see , I am the other way with the offroad can . I want mine to be just loud enough I can mentally keep up with my rpm's , it helps me to remember what gear that I " might " be in . LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately, "personal preference" is all too often intrusive to everyone around you. My biggest bitch with frigging Harley riders is their knee jerk "gotta buy a loud exhaust" mindset. Granted, their is nothing sweeter than a high performance engine winding up (a defacto exclusion of Harleys). But, I don't want to hear your bike (or your car, or your truck or your chainsaw, etc) in an urban setting. The only place that sound is appropriate is on a race track. If you like the sound so much find a way to pipe it into your helmit. Leave the rest of us in peace.

Edit: sorry for the subject hijack, but it seemed appropriate to the direction the thread was heading

·
Registered
429 Posts
**** it, move to the country. ;) Most Harleys don't bother me. Seems like it's the minority that sound just too damn loud.

My wife says my dirt bike is hella loud, it was almost silent when I bought it. I didn't change anything, it just needs new packing.

I get a kick out of the kids with slow ass POS ugly dented ricers and a loud coffee can sticking out the back. I LOVE to run them down in my '87 300D (as in Diesel). :) Heck it's not many cars that old girl can outrun.

I want more DB from the Versys. I ride, to ride. I ride for ME. I enjoy hearing the motor working, and the growl of the exhaust. It's part of the experience. I don't want anything open pipe loud. The Versys after market cans are all really short, which leads me to believe they're really loud.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The exhaust that 08versys figured out is just a bit louder than stock and has a nice rumble to it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The exhaust that 08versys figured out is just a bit louder than stock and has a nice rumble to it.
I'm tempted, just wish I could find something in stainless.

I'd also like to see a dyno or three of a V with a can and some other mods. Plenty of 650r dynos on the introwebs, but the V is a different motor, tuning wise anyways.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm tempted, just wish I could find something in stainless...
I'd love to find a stainless muffler to use just so I could say it was stainless. I ordered a Magnaflow stainless muffler that was very close to the same dimensions as the Cherry Bomb I am using. I was going to offer 2 different kit, with the stainless Magnaflow kit being about $40 more than the aluminized steel Cherry Bomb kit. When I got the magnaflow in and opened it up, I immediately knew it was going back. The welds were dark and ugly, and it would have looked bad. If anyone comes up with an inexpensive stainless can (preferably polished) that has about an 11" body, with approximately 3x7 oval dimensions please let me know.

Personally I think the aluminized steel Cherry Bomb will last a loooong time in anything but the toughest conditions. Not many people ride on salt covered snowy roads so I'm not concerned about it prematurely rotting away.

As far as warranty goes, it would be easy enough to remove a muffler, air filter, and Power Commander if you ever had any warranty issues you needed taken care of and were worried they would say something about them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be running my Versys and mates on a dyno tomorrow , purely to see the power difference between the stock pipe and the Penta pipe I fitted a week ago .

Butt dyno is telling me there is more bottom and mid range on the Penta , but may be dropping off sooner than the stock , will know for sure tomorrow .

1 - 20 of 71 Posts