Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow V riders,

I'm a new V owner (and a newbie biker too) and glad this forum exists...I'll be using it a lot :thumb:

I have read a lot on here about chain lubing and the Dupont teflon multi-use seems to be very popular. Unfortunately I can't find it in Eastern Canada (New Brunswick - we don't have Lowes or Ace Hardware here that I'm aware of).

Anyone know how I could get this magical chemical? I've found a non-aerisol version on eBay but it would cost over $30 to ship it here...not gonna happen.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
they carry it at cycle gear stores but i did't see it on thier website www.cyclegear.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Cycle Gear stores here either (I don't live in the sticks...really). Shipping to Canada is $25.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Can't get it here in Canader. I wrote Dupont to ask. IIRC, you can get it in the US, but if you buy it online, because it's aeorsol, it has to go UPS, which means added expense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thx Red. Any close alternatives that you're aware of. I guess I"ll check out my local cycle dealers. I want something that doesn't collect grime and doesn't spin off.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go in on a group buy with your buddies up there in order to share the shipping costs. That or a run to the states to get some :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try this stuff available from Lee Valley: Boeshield T9

:thumb:
Hi fellow V riders,

I'm a new V owner (and a newbie biker too) and glad this forum exists...I'll be using it a lot :thumb:

I have read a lot on here about chain lubing and the Dupont teflon multi-use seems to be very popular. Unfortunately I can't find it in Eastern Canada (New Brunswick - we don't have Lowes or Ace Hardware here that I'm aware of).

Anyone know how I could get this magical chemical? I've found a non-aerisol version on eBay but it would cost over $30 to ship it here...not gonna happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like good stuff Yarne...do you use it? A little pricey but should last a while.

·
Registered
779 Posts
he Boeshield website...

"For applications such as bicycle chains apply by drip or dipping, wipe off the excess, and allow to set at least 2 hours, preferably over night. Frequency of reapplication will depend on riding extent and conditions, as well as method of cleaning after use. Typically, road cyclists get over 300 miles (500Km) per application in good weather. In wet weather reduce that by half. For off road riding reduce distance by half again for reapplication."

Does not seem like it would stand up well enought for motorcycle use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I contacted Dupont and their Canadian distributor is in Mississauga, ON.(suburb of Toronto). Their number is 905-602-6022. I called and they will sell only in cases of six. Their cost on a case is $59.29 plus tax. This is the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube. They also carry the multi use product but why buy it if you plan to lube your chain?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Maybe I'll buy a case...I'll use it eventually. Did they say what the cost is to ship it within Canada?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I didn't ask but you can call and find out. Talk to Bruno. I figured I'd buy a case the next time I run down to Toronto.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I contacted Dupont and their Canadian distributor is in Mississauga, ON.(suburb of Toronto). Their number is 905-602-6022. I called and they will sell only in cases of six. Their cost on a case is $59.29 plus tax. This is the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube. They also carry the multi use product but why buy it if you plan to lube your chain?
According to Web Bike World, Dupont Multi-Use and Dupont Chain Saver are the same product.... Did the distributor say chain lube or chain saver? Could be different products.

Rub

·
Registered
72 Posts

True Value stores are listed as carrying the product - stateside at least.... I searched and found a True Value store in St. Andrews NB. You might want to give them a call to see if they carry it.

St. Andrews True Value Hardware
189 Water Street
ST ANDREWS, NB
E5B 1A9

506 529 3158

Rub

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dupont does make a Teflon Chain Saver product (see the attached link) but I don't know if it's available in a spray can. I also don't know if it's the same product in a different can. Rather than fuss about this topic I think the Multi Use Teflon spray is probably the way to go here. If you live in Canada just call the Canadian distributor at 905-602-6022 and they will answer all your questions.

http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_Services/en_AU/products/safety_protection/teflon_lubs.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dupont does make a Teflon Chain Saver product (see the attached link) but I don't know if it's available in a spray can. I also don't know if it's the same product in a different can. Rather than fuss about this topic I think the Multi Use Teflon spray is probably the way to go here. If you live in Canada just call the Canadian distributor at 905-602-6022 and they will answer all your questions.

http://www2.dupont.com/Products_and_Services/en_AU/products/safety_protection/teflon_lubs.html
It's the same product with a different label.

Rub

·
Registered
57 Posts
he Boeshield website...

"For applications such as bicycle chains apply by drip or dipping, wipe off the excess, and allow to set at least 2 hours, preferably over night. Frequency of reapplication will depend on riding extent and conditions, as well as method of cleaning after use. Typically, road cyclists get over 300 miles (500Km) per application in good weather. In wet weather reduce that by half. For off road riding reduce distance by half again for reapplication."

Does not seem like it would stand up well enought for motorcycle use.
I had planned on using this product since it was available locally and was a dry wax type protectant similar in description to the Dupont stuff...however, you could be right, it may not stand up for motorcycle use. Besides, 500K is not a generous interval for lubing a chain. I'll see if I can get a group buy together with some riding buddies and order the Dupont 6 pack. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the True Value tip Rub. Would be a nice day ride from here too :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were you able to get any of the Dupont spray at the True Value in St. Andrews? I'd like to get my hands on some of this stuff as well, sounds like it works well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't try yet actually. I ended up picking up some stuff locally that the dealer suggested...but I'm not completely happy with it. I'm still interested in the Dupont stuff. I may be heading down to Atlanticade in St. Andrews so will check it out then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts