Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dupont seems to keep tweaking their chain lubricant formulation. There has recently been a new formulation come to market, in a new round shoulder can. It is still Teflon, but now has a wax base rather than a Moly one.

Dupont has always been a favorite of mine as it is one of the few clean chain lubricants. That is it does not fling off easily on rear wheel and tire and does not attract grit like the grease based lubes do.

Spotted some in Lowes this weekend and applied to my still hibernating bike. Conclusion, it applies differently than the previous formulation, so has really been changed, but it is too early to know what the effect of this is. Is there even an accurate way to measure the effectiveness of chain lubricants? If I were to speculate I would say the wax base will allow it to last longer between applications and withstand rain better than the previous formulation, but it will no longer help clean the chain when applied, as it does not drip off, carrying contaminates, like the previous product did, before it set up. Compared with Maxima Chain Wax, it sets up differently. Both form a waxy surface but the Maxima forms into a tougher tar/wax surface, one that can be hard to remove when it comes to cleaning your chain, while the Dupont is more of a clear Teflon/wax compound you can feel but not see, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the initial info. Always looking for the next best thing!

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
I'll be getting some soon.I'm down to half a can of the old Dupont Blue....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'll be getting some soon.I'm down to half a can of the old Dupont Blue....
I'm right there with ya Joe. I was down to 1/2 a bottle of the blue myself. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in my future.

I just checked Amazon........ https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-4-Ounce/dp/B0130E2C7Q/ref=pd_sbs_86_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0130E2C7Q&pd_rd_r=BV2GD5EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8&pd_rd_w=fkw5a&pd_rd_wg=LtksS&psc=1&refRID=BV2GD5EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8

[email protected]#@ Does this have GOLD flakes in the wax or what? $43 for ONE 4 oz. bottle!

Reactions: weljo2001

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
I'm right there with ya Joe. I was down to 1/2 a bottle of the blue myself. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in my future.

I just checked Amazon........ https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-4-Ounce/dp/B0130E2C7Q/ref=pd_sbs_86_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0130E2C7Q&pd_rd_r=BV2GD5EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8&pd_rd_w=fkw5a&pd_rd_wg=LtksS&psc=1&refRID=BV2GD5EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8

[email protected]#@ Does this have GOLD flakes in the wax or what? $43 for ONE 4 oz. bottle!

Yea, their real proud of that...:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
260 Posts

11 oz spray can is $12.48 on Amazon. I use the 11 oz can at home and keep a 3.5 oz spray can in my tank bag.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I purchase the 11 oz. size at Wallyworld for approx. $7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts