Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an English magazine called "Bike" (June 2010) off of Fee-Bay because it had a write up on the Versys. Inside the magazine was a Dunlop brochure. It had their line-up of the "Sportmax Range" of tires in it and included was a tire called Sportmax Mutant. I had never seen one or even heard of it. They look cool! From the brochure: "The Sportmax Mutant has been specifically developed for the challenging demands of supermoto street bike riders." To me, they look like a high performance sport touring radial tire with about 2X (maybe 3X) the grooves in the tread-way more streetbikeish than the Shinko's or even the Tourances. "Aggressive tread pattern allows high performance in all conditions, including on and off road." I especially liked this part: "Front and rear selected compounds offer durability and grip on wet or dry surfaces." English magazine...are they only available in Europe? I suspect they might be: "It's agressive tread pattern, lightweight casings and optimised profiles give an instant handling response, which has been commended by European magazines."

I want a set!!! Has anyone heard of them? Does anyone have them on their V? I did a search here (Sportmax Mutant) and got nothing. They come in only 3 sizes: F 120/70ZR 17, R 150/60ZR 17, and 160/ 60ZR 17. Perfect! :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
As you already figured out, Dunlop doesn't offer them in the US (it's been around for at least 4 years that I remember, maybe more). I don't recall anybody using them on a Versys in the UK forum, but reviews from other bikes seem to be consistent with the Distanzia SM tires - i.e. very good tires, but if you really use them, you won't get good mileage out of the rear. Would be a nice additional option, if they sold them at reasonable prices, unlike the Distanzia and MT60.

Gustavo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts