Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an '09 650 and gonna ride the MABDR in May so some offroad on the trails. Gonna have to rip off the street tires for some dual sports. Been considering Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S Tires. Anyone try those? Anyone other suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A lot of us here use the Shinko 705; I don't know the specifics of the MABDR but a lot of those routes are tarmac and dirt/gravel as opposed to gnarly off-road, so the 705 would be a great choice. You may or may not need a super-aggressive tire.

One other change that is common is going with a larger than stock front tire. For example, many of us use a 130/80 or 120/90 on front. The 120/90 will give you the same rolling radius as some 19" tires. You'll have to raise your fender but that's easy.

Here's a 130/80 compared to the OEM size...
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

Since your question concerns tires, I'm confident you'll get a few answers :)

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
IF that ride includes "gnarly-dirt" I'd suggest 'knobbies', but if not - I like my Shinko E-705s for EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Have an '09 650 and gonna ride the MABDR in May so some offroad on the trails. Gonna have to rip off the street tires for some dual sports. Been considering Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S Tires. Anyone try those? Anyone other suggestions?

Thanks.
I've ridden the MABDR, those Bridgestones would never be my choice for that route, and i have been on those roads in May. there are probably some riders who could get through all the gravel on those tires, but most wouldn't have any fun at all, especially sections 2 and 3 where you can find mud, loose gravel, water crossings, you name it. you can ride around those roads, but you miss half the trip. watch the videos, then imagine those roads wet. that's when you divide the riders in half...those that have tires for the worst possible conditions, and those who wish they did.

i had full knobs on both ends, that's what i recommend. it's a fun trip, read the ride reports.

Versys on the MABDR. i had the bike on the ground a few times on that trip, i didn't run out of tire, but had a momentary lapse in skill. the tires did fine, but i was not satisfied with the suspension, and modified both ends not long after completeing the trip.

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
Hey @fasteddiecopeman one thing I've noticed about my front 705 is that it is a bit loud at highway speeds... is your experience the same?
I really CAN'T say, as I ALWAYS ride w/ PDG ear-plugs in - good for 30Db attenuation IF I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
FWIW - I run 36 psi front, 42 psi rear after a talk w/ the mechanic as I was just picking up my NEW '08, BIG RED. Since then I've run the SAME pressures in EVERY motorcycle tire I've owned - knobbies, etc.

When "jdrocks" mentioned the he DOES too - that SEALED the deal for me!

:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S tires when I did Titus Canyon in Death Valley. They were a handful in the soft sand, but I expect any tire to struggle in those sections. Other than that, they did admirably on the rocky and fire road sections, no flats. Also, 100s of miles of high speed roadway to get there was no issue at all.
Titus Canyon on the Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motocross Vehicle

Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Mountain Automotive tire

Sky Tire Wheel Ecoregion Mountain

AX41S mounted. Shinko 705s arrived!
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
I had the Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S tires when I did Titus Canyon in Death Valley. They were a handful in the soft sand, but I expect any tire to struggle in those sections. Other than that, they did admirably on the rocky and fire road sections, no flats. Also, 100s of miles of high speed roadway to get there was no issue at all.
Titus Canyon on the Battlax Adventurecross Scrambler AX41S
View attachment 188849
View attachment 188850
View attachment 188851
AX41S mounted. Shinko 705s arrived!
View attachment 188854
I ran Shinko 705s on my ktm supermoto, I think I’m Gona put them on my versys too. Should do
Good enough for what I want to do. They suck in mud though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
I ran Shinko 705s on my ktm supermoto, I think I’m Gona put them on my versys too. Should do
Good enough for what I want to do. They suck in mud though
Remembering all the muddy enduros I rode back in Quebec in the '70s - I AVOID mud at any cost NOW!

Even when I had a set of knobbies on BIG RED (my '08) for riding w/ jdrocks - there was NO WAY I was gonna enter mud!

PA270865 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

On the worst 'mud-enduro' I can remember in Quebec (up N near Grey Rocks) - MANY had to be rescued by 4X4 trucks, and one had to stay in a mud-hole w/ just handle-bars sticking out for a WEEK, till a bunch of us went back w/ a 4X4, winch and shovels to do the rescue.

(n)(n)

o_O

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Remembering all the muddy enduros I rode back in Quebec in the '70s - I AVOID mud at any cost NOW!

Even when I had a set of knobbies on BIG RED (my '08) for riding w/ jdrocks - there was NO WAY I was gonna enter mud!

PA270865 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

On the worst 'mud-enduro' I can remember in Quebec (up N near Grey Rocks) - MANY had to be rescued by 4X4 trucks, and one had to stay in a mud-hole w/ just handle-bars sticking out for a WEEK, till a bunch of us went back w/ a 4X4, winch and shovels to do the rescue.

(n)(n)

o_O
I took that ktm through some gnarly mud, I hate mud lol, but around here it’s unavoidable sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts