Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the MT90 Scorpion Sync dual sport tires on the Versys?

I've read that they perform very well in a 70/30 on/off road trial.

Re; Webbikeworld/Kawasaki Versys dual sport

I plan on ordering a set as soon as I find the best source/price.

Any input welcome.

Mike.................SWEET HOME ALABAMA

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe the review said they were very good but did not last very long. Some Vs have been outfitted with Distanzias and have recieved thumbs up. I attempted the same but the tire has been back ordered for 6 months. I decided on the Scorpion syns that are very good street tirs but have enough aggressive tread to tool around on trails unless your planning on mud pit stomping. All three are certainly better than stock. Good if they only made the Continental TKC80s in the correct sizes...life be good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The MT 90 scorpion syncs do not fit the Versys. The Scorpion syncs which are considered road tires do. I hava pair and they work well for both on and off road. They a bit soft but work well. I have had them for about 1000 miles now and enjoy them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dual sport tires for Versys

Well I ordered a set of Pirelli MT 60 Corsa radial Maxi-Grip tires for the Versys

today. Should be able to try them out at the farm this week end. Will report

results then.

Mike...............Sweet Home Alabama

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got the MT 60 Corsa tires mounted on the Versys today. Very pleased

to report a smooth ride, corners well, no vibration to speak of. I'll try

them out in the dirt over the weekend before I brag on them anymore.

Until then..............Mike

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just got the Scorpion syncs installed. Nothing like riding new tires in the pouring rain. I have the same tire on my naked sv1000. Very nice performer. I'm certain if I get the itch to ride trails , I'll just let out a little air and hit it. Can't waite until Spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I ordered a set of Pirelli MT 60 Corsa radial Maxi-Grip tires for the Versys

today. Should be able to try them out at the farm this week end. Will report

results then.

Mike...............Sweet Home Alabama
Well, I just replaced my front MT60 after 7500 miles...it was toast. However, these tires look good from a distance, their tread when new is less than half of a TKC 80. therefore, what they have wears well, and the core is good, but you lose your tread early in the game, so you may as well use a street tire for more miles. My rear MT60 only lasted about 4300 miles, and it was gone.

Though they look good when new, I was disappointed in how early they lost what little tread they do have. No complains about mileage on the front, but I rode it longer than I should have.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
If the TKC80's came in the correct tire size they would be the go to dual sport tire for the bike......to bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well, I just replaced my front MT60 after 7500 miles...it was toast. However, these tires look good from a distance, their tread when new is less than half of a TKC 80. therefore, what they have wears well, and the core is good, but you lose your tread early in the game, so you may as well use a street tire for more miles. My rear MT60 only lasted about 4300 miles, and it was gone.

Though they look good when new, I was disappointed in how early they lost what little tread they do have. No complains about mileage on the front, but I rode it longer than I should have.
thats to bad because I was looking at a set of those MT60 and was hoping to hear great things about the tread life and that low of mileage and the rear is toast..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Tire milage is directly related to the driving habits of the rider. A friend

got very close to the same milage out of his Pirelli MT 60 Corsa's as he did

out of the originals. I bought the MT 60's to better handle some lite off-

roading. I have been pleasantly surprised by their handling on the street.

Your experience with them may be much different than anyone else's.

Buy what you want, it's your money and your ride.

Mike.................Sweet Home Alabama

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the MT 60's to better handle some lite off-

roading. I have been pleasantly surprised by their handling on the street.

Mike.................Sweet Home Alabama
Hey Mike,

I have also read the review on the MT 60s and was going to buy a set. My Versys is primarily a street ride but I want the ability to head down a gravel or logging road knowing I'll be able to drive myself out. What did you think of the off-road ability of the MT 60s? I want to find that 70/30 road/trail balance. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree they look good when new. However, when the tread wears off, and it is not very deep, then you effectively have a street tire for half of the life of the tire.

I agree they handle well on the street, but so do TKC 80's. I'll never recommend them as anything other than a 1500 dual sport tire, and I'll not buy another pair. FWIW.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Anyone have experience or input on the continental escape? A new to US tire, but good reviews...
thinking of pairing that rear with a 17 Avon Distanzia front...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Continental Escape doesn't come in a 160/60-17 or 150/70-17. The 140/80 is only recommended for 3.5" - 3.75" wide rim (Versys rear: 4.5"), and its diameter is 1.2" more than Distanzia 160/60... I'm going with a Continental Trail Attack 150/70-17 rear with an Avon Distanzia 120/70-17 front.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Continental Escape doesn't come in a 160/60-17 or 150/70-17. The 140/80 is only recommended for 3.5" - 3.75" wide rim (Versys rear: 4.5"), and its diameter is 1.2" more than Distanzia 160/60... I'm going with a Continental Trail Attack 150/70-17 rear with an Avon Distanzia 120/70-17 front.
OK. see that's why I ask questions...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tyre combinations.

Hi Invader.
I know it's a long time ago you posted this but how did you like that pairing?
I have decided that I will stick with Distanzia front as I get good miles out of it and it grips like crazy, so I have to find the best rear to go with it. I doubt anything else will grip like the Distanzia SM rear but I must have more miles. It is not a cost thing but planning my long trips with such a small rear tyre life is hopeless.
Ted 99UK.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Hi Invader.
I know it's a long time ago you posted this but how did you like that pairing?
I have decided that I will stick with Distanzia front as I get good miles out of it and it grips like crazy, so I have to find the best rear to go with it. I doubt anything else will grip like the Distanzia SM rear but I must have more miles. It is not a cost thing but planning my long trips with such a small rear tyre life is hopeless.
Ted 99UK.

I really like the combo a lot. They perform together beautifully in all conditions, and are very well balanced. I only have 3500 kms on them so far. I like that the TrailAttack is wide and low for a 150/70, with variable compound... Another interesting pair would be a Pirelli Scorpion Synch 160/60 with a Scorpion Trail 120/70.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I really like the combo. They perform very well together in all conditions, and are very well balanced. I only have 3500 kms on them so far. I like that the ContiTrail is wide and low for a 150/70. with variable compound,.. Another interesting pair would be a Pirelli Scorpion Synch 160/60 with a Scorpion Trail 120/70.
Thanks Invader, I will get one.
Ted.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Handling.

I really like the combo a lot. They perform together beautifully in all conditions, and are very well balanced. I only have 3500 kms on them so far. I like that the TrailAttack is wide and low for a 150/70, with variable compound... .
Hi Invader.
Did you notice a change in the sharpness of the handling with the narrower rear tyre? Not that it needs it.
I used to run my previous Yamaha Supertenere 750 twin on a 130 rear tyre instead of the standard 140. It very noticeably sharpened up the steering and handling. I found it out when I fitted an old tyre off a Yamaha Tenere 660 single to use up the tyre.
Ted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts