Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been perusing this forum and ADV for info on 17" dual sport tires, and the selection is a bit limited. Choices seem to be:

Avon Distanzia
Pirelli MT60
Continental TKC 80 Twinduro

...after that there are limited dealers for MEFO and with fender and brakeline alteration, Metzler Tourance 130/80-17 front/rear.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation and I need these pretty quick, so a month to order won't work. 60/40 Street/Offroad is my basic aim. Any worthwhile experiences appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got the Pirelli MT60s installed. So far I like them. Grip well on gravel roads, compacted dirt, etc. I purchased mine from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/, put them on myself, then had them balanced over at CycleGear (free service). Cheap and quick.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Pirelli MT60's 60/40 Street/Offroad tire would probably be your best bet, over Avon Distanzia/Pirelli Scorpion Trail's 90/10 or Conti TKC80's 40/60.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Only knock I've heard against the Pirellis is treadlife, but there's your trade-off. I had the Distanzia/Scorpion Trail combo for awhile- road manners are great, but nothing to write home about off-road.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've been perusing this forum and ADV for info on 17" dual sport tires, and the selection is a bit limited. Choices seem to be:

Avon Distanzia
Pirelli MT60
Continental TKC 80 Twinduro

...after that there are limited dealers for MEFO and with fender and brakeline alteration, Metzler Tourance 130/80-17 front/rear.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation and I need these pretty quick, so a month to order won't work. 60/40 Street/Offroad is my basic aim. Any worthwhile experiences appreciated.
Thanks
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14850/ITEM/Pirelli-Scorpion-Trail-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

·
Registered
901 Posts
The TKC's seem like an 80/20 off/on road. Might be a bit aggressive for a Versys unless your really planning some serious off-road. Do the Mt60s go one without mods?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put Distancia's on my V over the holidays. I've done probably 500 miles since then, and only about 10 miles of dirt. All of the miles have been dry. These are the only non-stock tires I've tried.

First impression is that I love them. Way more confidence and grip on gravel and hard-packed dirt, and also way more grip on pavement. They also turn-in better than the stock tires and generally feel more responsive. They are not really 'DS' tires like the TKC's or super knobby by any means - but the tread pattern pretty closely matches what I seem to ride on the most: 150 miles on pavement to get to 10 to 20 of decent dirt roads, then back on the slab to get home. I'd call these 80/20 street/dirt, maybe 70/30 if the dirt isn't too loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts