Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding almost a year without even putting a scratch on the bike until now. Rolled up to a stop sign and due to my inseam challenge I normally put the left foot down and keep the right foot on the rear brake. For whatever reason the bike started leaning right and by the time I got he right foot down, she was too far over and I lost it.

The H&B crash bars did their job and saved me a lot of headaches. Rear brake pedal and front brake lever got slightly bent, but otherwise, the only real damage was to my pride.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I feel your pain; literally and figuratively. I did that a couple months ago on the left side. I too lean left, but was doing the last bit of down shifting at a stoplight, and then my left pant leg caught on the foot peg and I could not save it. I got thrown down hard and it sounds silly, but I think all my armor helped out. As it was I had a headache for about 5 days (mild concussion most would say) and that was with my helmet on. Shutter to think about what would have happened without ATGATT. Had to bend shift lever just a little and that was the only damage - well, and some damage to my pride.

Reactions: 3dog

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
A can of Satin Black spray paint works well on the H/B crash bars.....I know from experience....:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
A can of Satin Black spray paint works well on the H/B crash bars.....I know from experience....:frown2:
OR - a couple of inches of "electricians-tape"....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
dont feel to bad, we all end up on our side at one point or another

·
Registered
2013 v650
243 Posts
Plus one for the lowering links. 5' 6" with a 30" inseam. The lowering links and dropping the forks in the triple tree lets me stop flat footed. I also got a ninja 650 kickstand off ebay. A quick swap of the kickstand and the bike has a safe lean while parked.

Glad no real damage to you or the bike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah that sucks. It's a weird feeling reaching for the ground when the crown of the road makes the right side an inch or two lower. Good thing pride heals quickly...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just for clarification. You lower the bike with the lowering link for instance on a new 2016. Should you buy only a 2016 ninja 650 kickstand or can a 12-15 kickstand work? Is the spring also the same or do you also need to swap springs? Thx.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I bought a 2015 that was already lowered front and back. The kickstand had been cut off (not sure how much was removed) and stuck back together with a device that just used a bolt to tighten up and expand the device thus holding the two pieces together. Works great.

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update. The front brake lever was actually broken through the pivot point bolt hole. Looks like I'll need a replacement. I don't think Gorrilla Glue will help here. I had shorty lever lying around the garage to use temporarily. Does anyone know where to buy a factory lever?

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only 2 weeks into ownership, I was at a local park practicing low speed maneuvers and tight turns. I saw an opportunity to try a hill start on a paved section covered with loose gravel. Stopped successfully and went to put my left foot down. Left foot didn't get set - kept sliding -, and the bike went down and I was tossed off :crying: Only injury was to my RIGHT leg, which had a pretty nasty bruise. Oh and my ego. Bike has scraped engine cover and bent shift lever (which I just bent back into place). Sigh. Did not remember how to pick up was fortunate to the kindness of stranger who gave me just enough help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yup...

I really want a 1K size DL or V but not owning/riding a bike in over 10yrs, I feel I will need the re-learning curve of a 650 as my re-starter bike. Hate to drop a 1000cc bike and have to try to pick it up alone somewhere. Or even just drop it all. Thinking a 650cc bike may help to maybe even prevent this happens at all.

THough the 650's Adv bikes I've sat on, sit pretty high. I dropped my 90's KLR 650 once years back. That was a tall bike too. At age 59, I doubt I've grown more since then.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I really want a 1K size DL or V but not owning/riding a bike in over 10yrs, I feel I will need the re-learning curve of a 650 as my re-starter bike. Hate to drop a 1000cc bike and have to try to pick it up alone somewhere. Or even just drop it all. Thinking a 650cc bike may help to maybe even prevent this happens at all.

THough the 650's Adv bikes I've sat on, sit pretty high. I dropped my 90's KLR 650 once years back. That was a tall bike too. At age 59, I doubt I've grown more since then.

Probably not any stronger either :).

I switched to the V because I could not pick up the 1500 Vulcan Classic by myself. The last time I sat for almost an hour with the bike in the middle of a road til I found someone to give me a hand. He was older and in worse physical condition than I was but we managed.

Hopefully it will be a while before I test how hard it is to pick up the Versys.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts