Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was carrying my son and taking a slow left turn when a moped came at me on my lane. The road has a left slope and guessed what - I extended my left leg and couldn't find a footing until the bike tipped over.

No bruises except the ego. As for the bike, a bent gear shifter and the left mirror was loosen which took 5 minutes to be back in order. Thank god for the barkbuster, I think it saved my clutch lever. Scratches though one the left hand guard and left bobbin. Surprised that there was no contact on the engine guard.

After I pull the gear shifter straight, I couldn't up shift. Fiddled with the clutch and all that connects. Later called a friend who told me that I can't engage 2nd while bike is stationary so took it out for a quick spin and all is fine.

This happened near my house and an adjustable spanner was all I need. If you guys are on the road, what tools do you normally pack?

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Welcome to the drop club.
I built up an enhanced toolkit before my long trip last year. It has just about everything but the kitchen sink. Since my Happy Trail panniers are permanently attached I just left my enhanced kit on board.
Glad your damage was minimal.

·
Registered
377 Posts
After I pull the gear shifter straight, I couldn't up shift. Fiddled with the clutch and all that connects. Later called a friend who told me that I can't engage 2nd while bike is stationary so took it out for a quick spin and all is fine.
Been there, done that. Thought for sure I had screwed up the shifter, as well ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been there, done that. Thought for sure I had screwed up the shifter, as well ;)
:exactly: I thought I broke the internal gear shaft when the shifter got bent.

I have never opened the factory tool bag before. Any specific listing ?
- Screwdrivers ?
- Torx driver ?
- Spanners (set jaw/common) ?
- Headlamp adjusters ?

Do you keep a jump start cable ?
I still don't understand why the factory does not recommend push starts ? Fuel injection issue ?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Added Barkbusters after a light drop on the grass lawn snapped the clutch lever. Barkies also are nice in Winter to keep hands warmer by diverting wind off the gloves. Kiwi41 you dog, it's Spring there and starting to get long shadows and morning chills here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
additions to my tool kit

if I remember correctly, my tool kit did not have all the sizes of allen keys required for fairing removal so I added it and I added a set of 4" needle nose vise grips which provides needle nose, side cutters and a massive adjustable spanner in a pinch.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts