Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there

I'm trying to explore unpavned roads (checking Shinko E-705 tires) and have dropped the bike (because there was a small hill and I forgot that need the ground to put my feet on it but there was no ground on the left side :) )

Everyting is fine (have crash bars and handguards installed) but I've noticed that the coolant is leaking from the small tube that is connected to the reservoir. It was leaking fast enough. It is called hose cooling breather on the parts diagram. I've managed to get up the bike fast enough (I hope)

I suppose that the reservior was a lowest part (because of the hill) but just wondering is it supposed to have such tube not protected from liquid leak when bike is down?
I understood that it should to breath through the tube and it is not possible to close it completely.
However I'm thinking may I reduce the tube diameter a bit and leave small hole to breath but not to leak so fast ?
I'm going to continue my unpavned road exploring so would like to prevent the leak.

Regards

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
A picture is worth WHAT :ROFLMAO: Okay, you drop the bike, coolant runs out the overflow, that is normal , be aware that every heat cool cycle, fluid passes to the reservoir and then returns to the rad on the cool down cycle. Blocking that overflow will create a vacuum. I have experienced the same thing, but on asphalt, lost about 3 ounces, nothing to worry about. Be aware that unless you repeat this for days on end and allow the reservoir to go dry--NOTHING to worry about, if the bike is at running temperature, the rad is 100% full, and unless you are riding in snow and let the motor cool to 0'C , no worries because it only pulls coolant into the rad on cool down.

The hose you are talking about is to the right of the reservoir cap, and is the highest point in the system

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lost about 3 ounces, nothing to worry about
well I can imagine I will drop the bike four times and will lost the signinficant part of the coolant. It may be a problem out of civilization (hope I will find some water)
The hose you are talking about is to the right of the reservoir cap, and is the highest point in the system
It was the highest part until the bike has fallen upside down :)

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Came close , but it takes real skill to get 500 LBS upside down. Good to hear you are enjoying your bike. I had a XL250R and then a DRZ400S, no good offroad around me, when I had the DRZ on top of me ( by myself- nobody around, a little banged up -- time to give it up--too many idiots in 4wheelers making a mess and making things dangerous), I came to realize that maybe I should get out of dirt bikes, that was when I was 59, so 12 years later and my second Versys,

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if this is something that would interest you. A automatic air vent, it allows air out, but has a floating check valve, the instant fluid hits it closes
thank you for helping me
i can't get the link it says "You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.ca/product/watts-1-4-inch-fv-4m1-automatic-air-vent/1001072840" on this server. "

I'm thinking about elementary tube diameter reducing using some plastic stopper having 1.5 mm hole to breath

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you are overthinking this. If the bike goes down get it upright as soon as feasible.
Besides the coolant, other fluids are not in their right places and could also leak such as oil and fuel. A fuel leak could be worse than the coolant leak.

Arknt

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm thinking about elementary tube diameter reducing using some plastic stopper having 1.5 mm hole to breath
you don't need to change anything. i am the world renowned expert when it comes to putting these bikes on the ground, and i never changed the diameter of that hose. contrary to what that onewizard dude says, you can get these bikes fully upside down if you try hard enough. you can also put them on the ground with enough finesse that it takes some time to even find the damn thing, it flew way out yonder.

when i jump the bike back up i'm not worried about coolant or fuel, i want to make sure that the engine oil drains back down to the pan before i even think about starting it. it's always helpful if the tip sensor resets.

anyway, flop the bike, pick it up, dust yourself off, get back on, start it up, ride away...there's plenty more exploring that needs doing. i applaud your desire to explore, too few of your kind left.

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
you don't need to change anything. i am the world renowned expert when it comes to putting these bikes on the ground, and i never changed the diameter of that hose. contrary to what that onewizard dude says, you can get these bikes fully upside down if you try hard enough. you can also put them on the ground with enough finesse that it takes some time to even find the damn thing, it flew way out yonder.

when i jump the bike back up i'm not worried about coolant or fuel, i want to make sure that the engine oil drains back down to the pan before i even think about starting it. it's always helpful if the tip sensor resets.

anyway, flop the bike, pick it up, dust yourself off, get back on, start it up, ride away...there's plenty more exploring that needs doing. i applaud your desire to explore, too few of your kind left.
Like I said, "Came close , but it takes real skill to get 500 LBS upside down."
I don't have that skill and never did, at one time I could solo my Old Town Tripper 17 foot canoe weighing in at 110 Lbs, completely rigged for what was called white water. Today it is a challenge to get my Versys up off the pavement. Knowing your limits is important, the focus seemed more on the overflow tank than riding, enough comments , including this one with excellent advice.
Make sure you take photos and post them.Also thanks for posting on the forum.

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
...Today it is a challenge to get my Versys up off the pavement....
HELL - I haven't been able to do THAT since BEFORE I had my first V650!

I recall riding off-road in the Rockies on my '04KLR650 (by MYSELF!), when I needed to do a "180", so I mistakenly turned UPHILL to do it, and - as you can imagine - dropped it at the apogee, so it was handle-bars DOWN.

NO PROBLEM I thought, so I started to tug the bars moving the bike towards the WHEELS LOWER position, except that I could NOT get it all the way to the WHEELS DOWN.

Tried, and tried, then into the trees looking for a branch big enough to use as a lever. Got one around 4" diameter by 4', so I jammed it under the KLR and was able to lift it to the point that the tank was around knee-height, so wedged my leg under, tank resting on my upper leg, then I was able to complete lifting it to a standing position, and get the bike rolled to a better spot, stand down.

I rode out of there OK, but it sure showed me how STUPID I had been!

(n)(n)

o_O

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
geeeeeez, all you old farts and your trips down memory lane. this guy asked a question about an issue in 2021, not 1921. he's out in the bush exploring the countryside, not doddering around on pavement like you dudes. park that moto, get a golf cart to promote your brand of mayhem.

my mayhem...terrorizing the Mid-Atlantic for 500 miles Friday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank for your thoughts
I hope I understood Versys limits and do not push it too hard. It was an ordinary unpaved road (with sand and paddles) and not the dirt track trying to have fun those rough times.

I've checked the reservoir connections and found that I've lost all reservoir coolant only. Because the breather tube connection became the lowest part after I dropped a bike.

I've used a wrong word sorry. The actual bike position was like on the layout attached. I would like to say the bike was on the side having small negative angle.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts