Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find a driver's backrest, home made or manufactured. Just wondering if anybody has done it before I set off and make my own. I know Russell (day long saddles) has the option of adding one, but I don't want to spend a week of my time (to drive out there so it's custom fitted to me) and two paychecks to get one made. Passenger doesn't need to fit, would be better if they did so i could also use my tunnel bag. I'm handy with a welder. So, any suggestions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't been able to find a driver's backrest, home made or manufactured. Just wondering if anybody has done it before I set off and make my own. I know Russell (day long saddles) has the option of adding one, but I don't want to spend a week of my time (to drive out there so it's custom fitted to me) and two paychecks to get one made. Passenger doesn't need to fit, would be better if they did so i could also use my tunnel bag. I'm handy with a welder. So, any suggestions?
ventura rack its removalable if required easily and you can attach and bag to any side so you can rest against it, for my misses we just use my ogio dirt bike back pack between the rack and seat and works a treat.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ventura rack its removalable if required easily and you can attach and bag to any side so you can rest against it, for my misses we just use my ogio dirt bike back pack between the rack and seat and works a treat.
I've already got a rack, and want a real backrest instead of a system of bags and bungee cords.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I built a backrest for the passenger using a headrest from a suzuki samurai. I think I could modify it for the driver...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm sure you could make something on the lines of this:

By using the rack / saddle bags / grab handle mounting points :thumb:

Richard :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
homemade

I have a pretty big Nelson-Rigg tailbag. I made an internal frame out of pvc pipe for it, strap it down on the passenger seat when riding solo, prop my feet out on DallasDon's highway pegs, and lean back comfortably! I can also anchor it back on the Alurack for a passenger to lean on.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would also like a backrest on my Versys. Hopefully something will come from the ideas mentioned here.
I'm working on a few ideas, when my sketches are viable, I'll post them so you guts can tear them apart. Remember, I'm making one that's not passenger friendly, yet easily removable because 99% of the time I ride solo.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm definitely interested to see what shows up. I could use one for sure. My bike is part adventure part commuter. Not much sport bike action for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ideas im motion!

Motopsyco,I think your pursuit in this idea is gonna grab alot of attention,just like seat mod threads...In my opinion,and i think most of us will agree that the more comfy the ride,the better the xpierience!.russell does have a version of this concept.but there are some super thinkers in here,so lets see what you and others can come up with...onward and upward!:thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Motopsyco,I think your pursuit in this idea is gonna grab alot of attention,just like seat mod threads...In my opinion,and i think most of us will agree that the more comfy the ride,the better the xpierience!.russell does have a version of this concept.but there are some super thinkers in here,so lets see what you and others can come up with...onward and upward!:thumb:
There in-lies a problem. $470 for the cheapest seat (all vinyl, driver mod only) Add another $240 for the backrest. $710 :eek: and then you either have to drive out there and pay sales tax, or you have to ship it. Pretty sure I can build one out of metal and an old pillion pad myself a lot cheaper. I'm sure it's comfortable, but I rode 2,500 miles on my vacation this year on the stock seat and I was fine. Just need something solid to lean against.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts