Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Versys with 12K miles and I noticed when I turn the rear wheel, I hear a clicking noise. I don't notice the noise when I'm riding but only when I push the bike. The noise goes away when I lube the chain but comes back after a day of riding. Took it to the dealer and was told that the chain and sprockets are starting to wear. Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts
I bet the chain is not aligned correctly. Get one of these..

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
i bet it is worn teeth on a the sprockets - like the mechanic said!
as they sprocket teeth wear they tend to hook over and the chain has to jump out of the teeth.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yeah, you just need a new chain and sprockets.

Rear wheel and sprocket is probably out of alignment if using the swingarm guide marks at chain tension adjusters. I found mine to be perfectly aligned when the right side is further forward by half the distance between two lines, or by 2.5mm (lines are 5mm apart). The same tendency is likely seen on all Versys 650's.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah, you just need a new chain and sprockets.

Rear wheel and sprocket is probably out of alignment if using the swingarm guide marks at chain tension adjusters. I found mine to be perfectly aligned when the right side is further forward by half the distance between two lines, or by 2.5mm (lines are 5mm apart). The same tendency is likely seen on all Versys 650's.
Mine is perfectly aligned with the hash marks on the frame, confirmed with two alignment tools/methods.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm surprised that the chain and sprockets are worn at 12,000 miles. Mines at 22,000 and showing very little wear (original stock) .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of those alignment tools and everything checks out perfectly. I have not adjusted the chain recently (4000 miles) since the slack measures 1.5 inches. I've been told that it is better to be a little on the loose side of the spec. The chain does not make the noise when I ride it but I notice it when I roll the bike around in the garage. The dealer did not seem that concerned about the problem and said I should consider changing the chain and sprockets the next time I purchase tires. I was concerned because I thought it might be a safety issue. I also thought about using a chain lube or wax that stays on the chain and does not fling off. I lube my chain every 1-2 rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts