Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WooHoo, I just found some untapped potential on the V, lol. I have always run street tires on the V and decided to put a little more aggressive tire on this time to ride a few more rural roads around where I grew up. Anyone who's ridden their V on gravel knows it's just like riding on ball bearings and far from confidence inspiring. I just put a set of Pirelli MT 60 Corsa on and wow, what a difference, it's just like my old CR500 drifting around long sweepers at well above legal speed..:guilty: I should have done this long ago......Gonna have to wear my old MX boots when I go riding from now on.....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
i am thinking about it also i discovered lots nice gravel roads around my area , magog quebec , Canada
is it same size of standard tires?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Never had an issue offroad with any of my tires, (shinko 009 and Pirelli angel STs) but then again I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life heh. Might look into some more aggressive stuff next season after its paid off! Looks good!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
720 Posts
Skightly out of topic. Anyone tried drifting the v on tarmac? Is that possible to be done?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since I JUST installed them I don't know but this is my info so far...

***Versys tire endurance**********
FR tire depth
Pilot Road 4mm 2958km/mm
Pirelli MT60 5mm
Sportmax 6.5mm 1953 km/mm

Rr tire
Pilot Road 7mm 1442 km/mm
Pirelli MT60 6mm
Sportmax 9mm 1057km/mm

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
The Versys is a bit tall, and doesn't tend to be drifted like my GPz550 did. Versys has more understeer, which is more evident on surfaces of low coefficient of friction ("low tracrion"), where the front wheel tends to wash out before the rear... It should drift better if lowered.
It also helps to be aware that a motorcycle's direction is always controlled by countersteer input, drifting or not.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wearing fast

just a little update on the Pirelli tires, so far I have only put on 2000 km, but it looks like I'll be lucky to get 4000 km out of the rr tire before it's bald in the middle. Front is great but not wearing nearly as fast as the rear:dgi:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
WooHoo, I just found some untapped potential on the V, lol. I have always run street tires on the V and decided to put a little more aggressive tire on this time to ride a few more rural roads around where I grew up. Anyone who's ridden their V on gravel knows it's just like riding on ball bearings and far from confidence inspiring.
Sorry I don't agree, I ride smooth gravel roads at 80 - 100 kmh with no problems at all with street tyres

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
It of course all depends on the grade of gravel roads where allowable speed will vary greatly... Some smooth well packed gravel surfaces will easily take 160+ km/hr, while others with deep coarser gravel or loose sand won't hold it at over about 30 km/hr. Gravel road surface quality may also vary substantially from maintenance, weather and traffic conditions.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Sorry I don't agree, I ride smooth gravel roads at 80 - 100 kmh with no problems at all with street tyres
Have to agree w/ MaverickAus - I rode all manner of dirt on BOTH my Vs till the stock Dunlops wore out, then on ContiMotions till THEY wore out, and now both Vs are on Tourance rubber, with the ODD :)rolleyes:) bit of dirt under THEM...! :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using front Pirelli scorpion A/T 110-90-17, rear Pirelli MT 60 140-80-17 because i like to ride off road, front tire have 35000 km and this is half life, rear lifespan is 20000 km, My medium speed is 120 km/h and I had no problems gripping in wet or dry, these are good to off road, the price here is $ 100.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts