Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ok, thank you, i made an order for this SS brake-lines. As i see my Versys 08 with new MC from 15' year began stop faster then before.

But i don't understand what mean 1/2 on my old reservoir. If the inner diameter is larger then there should be 15 or smth like that. On newer one it's 14. And if you look at reservoir where the MC located you'll see that it's lower on new one. I thought it's the size of MC printed on reservoir. But now i have some doubts.
because it is printed in inches. but this would mean 12.7 not 14mm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
because it is printed in inches. but this would mean 12.7 not 14mm.
Yes 14mm was printed at MC from 15' year of bike.
That's what i'm talking about: older versys has print "1/2" and newer one (15 year MC) has print 14mm(look at photo attached). So if convert to 12.7mm then you'll see that size is bigger at newer machine, but for best brakes it should be lower with long brake lever travel. But if you won't compare the printed symbols but compare the outer diameter by putting them together everything will be vice versa: the newer one has lower size at that place where master cylinder located.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I can't tell you the REASONS for it to work better - just ACCEPT THAT IT DOES! Which I'm sure is the reason WHY they went to the NEW master-cylinders.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I disagree. It is important to understand these things and not just being content that newer MC is better; one can draw even a conclusion that it is the round shape of MC that causes better braking :).

Are you sure that you read properly 1/2 in the older MC? Unless the previously owner changed it, it makes no sense. The older mc was 15mm, meaning it was larger. I believe, as I stated before, that 12.7mm would work even better than 14mm. 14mm vs 15mm means that it is softer as the lever travels more, but also less effort is required to stop the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure that you read properly 1/2 in the older MC? Unless the previously owner changed it, it makes no sense. The older mc was 15mm, meaning it was larger. I believe, as I stated before, that 12.7mm would work even better than 14mm. 14mm vs 15mm means that it is softer as the lever travels more, but also less effort is required to stop the bike.
there is no mistake, you can see the attached photo. So i was confused by this symbols.
p.s. first old one, second new one, and third compare the diameter of both (the new one is smaller)

·
Registered
991 Posts
there is no mistake, you can see the attached photo. So i was confused by this symbols.
p.s. first old one, second new one, and third compare the diameter of both (the new one is smaller)
View attachment 182880 View attachment 182881 View attachment 182882
That is strange. So did the previous owner change the MC to 1/2"? I doubt it is factory fitted. If it is indeed 12.7mm, there should me more lever travel but braking more effortless. How do you feel the difference in braking between 12.7 and 14mm?

Because I change brakes callipers or MC in several bikes, I use a formula where you calculate the relationship between size of MC vs the the diameter of all the pistons combined in the callipers, so you can know if the outcome will be soft or hard brakes. I personally prefer to have brakes on the soft side, but some bikers do not like if there is more travel in the brake lever. Some bikes have almost no travel in the lever, and the brakes are very wooden.

In my 650 I have Brembo M4 callipers and according to Brembo the suitable size of Radial MC should be 19mm. But I opted for 17mm and am content with this choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't describe difference between brakes cause i start this season after installing new MC. I checked the brakes on empty road by braking on 100 km/h -> 0 and it was normal.
I checked the part number of MC and there is difference at bikes with ABS and without. Maybe there is why i have 1/2 cause i have ABS. Also i want to buy Magura MC but it was about 350$ at local store so it would be quite an expensive experiment with probably not worth the money. I also measured the size of caliper piston and it have ~24mm, so my thoughts were towards replacing calipers that can be installed without any adapters.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Here's what my SS brake-lines look like (TWO, so separate right down to the calipers).

PB131002 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

PB131001 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

And a pic of the two pieces I bought at the hardware store to facilitate the installation.

PB130999 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The two pieces I used to relocate my hand-guards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With ABS it doesn't work. I have to find the HEL SS-brake lines cause no one company has scheme for ABS versys at my country. But i don't see any difference where the splitter will be installed: on caliper or at MC. Am i wrong?
And what caliper pistons installed at your bike? 24mm?

·
Registered
991 Posts
the double banjo bolt in my bike is on the calliper not mc. i assume that the callipers in the older Versys has the same calliper pistons diameter. But I am not sure, as the older models had Tokico callipers and the new ones Nissin. And yes, I got my SS lines from HEL. Very good service. One connection to the ABS unit was leaking and they immediately send a replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How hard was changing the SS-lines? Were there any problems with air in ABS after leeking the braking fluid?
On our russian forum my mates suggest that 1/2 MC was at old ER6 bikes so maybe previous owner change it to improve braking system. But there were bad reviews for this upgrade.
As i understand standart MC was 5/8 and i found a lot of this MC at ebay during searching the old MC from versys.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts