Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, I'm not suggesting that my riding experience is any better or worse than any other members. I read this forum looking for tips or improvements, or ways to make our bikes better without going over the top or disparaging those that want to go the extra mile. If you're happy, that's great...I'm a huge fan of the bike and sold my previous beemers and kept this one. That alone is a testament to my satisfaction.
Having said that, I do miss the brake feel those other bikes had. Different animal and geometry altogether , no doubt, but even when shopping for those other bikes, I rode some GS's with an w/o ABS and with and w/o SS brake lines. In all my years of riding, I never had to rely on the ABS, but I will say that the SS lines offered something that might also benefit the V, as they would any bike out there. And no, it's not a "cool" thing (how ridiculous). Like you, I don't want to hit that deer or flock of low flying turkeys crossing the road after a tight, blind corner. Any chance of stopping short, I'll take, especially for the few bucks were talking about to upgrade the front brake.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As I mentioned in my original post - I could LOCK my front wheel with the stock 2008 set-up. The improvement I see with the later (2009 and on) master cylinder is FEEL. It's easier to modulate now, compared with the older, stock master cylinder.

When I put SS front brake lines on my '04 KLR650, it improved the FEEL, so becoming easier to modulate.

IF FEEL is important to you, try this mod. If NOT - leave it stock.

REALLY GLAD I DID IT, and I LOVE the new feel of the front brakes! :goodidea:

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Well I am going to jump in here, I have 40 years experience, and I have a 07, recently upgraded to Pilot road 2 tires, huge difference in braking, as to the front brake, yes it feels spongy, but I wouldn't want it like the rear was, difference of the rear is that the road 2s have about 30% more grip, so it is much harder to lock up the rear. As to the front brake, training tells you to practice E stops all the time. I can tell you with the OEM brake, and the road 2s, I can lock up the front wheel, the brake lever is very close to touching the handlebar, but I still have room to squeeze further.

I ride with full gear, what I have done is added a brake flasher and more brake / signal lights on the rear side and top cases, to make myself more visible. I also run the 60 watt headlamp.

As to this discussion, it would be of help, if someone was to hook up a hydraulic pressure gauge and measure before and after. To be honest, there are all kinds of designs, bottom line is the only way you get increased braking is with increased pressure. A larger piston will reduce travel, but more force is required to equal a smaller piston that has greater travel, this really only scratches the surface.

I guess it has been said here, I ride because I enjoy it, and before I spend money to replace something that works fine for me, I am seriously looking at changing the RR to a series style, with all the people that have had problems with stator failures, this is something I am seriously considering.

:interesting:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm tired of reading about "locking up the front" as evidence of a good brake. I can lock the front brake on a GZ250 so that must have "good" brakes too. If you squeeze hard enough, or use crappy technique, the front will lock....who cares. I think it's more about feel and getting to that lock up point sooner without having to squeeze the crap out of the brake.

After I have been riding my R1, set up with Galfer rotors, lines and various different pads, I find myself having to readjust when I start braking (on the Versys)because that first time I roll up to a stop I almost overshoot the intersection. I'm not saying the Versys should brake like my R1 but after you have ridden something like that, you wish the brakes responded a little better.

The brakes on the Versys work but trying to make them better is always good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes but do you have 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE?????

Apparently 40 years of experience is the 'magic number' to evaluate the efficacy of motorcycle braking systems.:blah::blah::blah:

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Yes but do you have 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE?????

Apparently 40 years of experience is the 'magic number' to evaluate the efficacy of motorcycle braking systems.:blah::blah::blah:
Like I said I ride because I enjoy it, as to experience, I can honestly say I learn something new every day, even learn how to spell new words.

:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Guys - I said I'd add pics when I could. The 'tech' fixed THAT problem, and here are pics.
#1 is from underneath the '09 reservoir looking to where the piston is pushed;
#2 is same but of the '08 reservior; and
#3 is "Big Red" with her NEW brake reservoir! :thumb::clap::yeahsmile::eek:penarms:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny you should mention locking the brakes up on a GZ250 Suzuki, we have 4 of them in our Motorcycle Training Class class along with 8 TU250 Suzukis, these bikes hit the ground more often than all the Hondas and Kawasakis because you can lock the front brake very easy.

I did the SS lines and different pads, I am very good at bleeding brakes thanks to the multitude of bikes I take care of, my 2008 might have 1" free play at the lever then solid as a rock, the brakes work very well, so well I think a new suspension may be needed by spring...

And what is wrong with tearing into a perfectly good motorcycle to see what the engineers forgot or the accountants said it didn't need?

My view has been a new, or new to you, motorcycle is like a new canvas waiting for the artist's first stroke of color.

K1

I'm tired of reading about "locking up the front" as evidence of a good brake. I can lock the front brake on a GZ250 so that must have "good" brakes too. If you squeeze hard enough, or use crappy technique, the front will lock....who cares. I think it's more about feel and getting to that lock up point sooner without having to squeeze the crap out of the brake.
The brakes on the Versys work but trying to make them better is always good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Funny you should mention locking the brakes up on a GZ250 Suzuki, we have 4 of them in our Motorcycle Training Class class along with 8 TU250 Suzukis, these bikes hit the ground more often than all the Hondas and Kawasakis because you can lock the front brake very easy.

I did the SS lines and different pads, I am very good at bleeding brakes thanks to the multitude of bikes I take care of, my 2008 might have 1" free play at the lever then solid as a rock, the brakes work very well, so well I think a new suspension may be needed by spring...

And what is wrong with tearing into a perfectly good motorcycle to see what the engineers forgot or the accountants said it didn't need?

My view has been a new, or new to you, motorcycle is like a new canvas waiting for the artist's first stroke of color.

K1

Yeah, thats why I mentioned the GZ250...will be my 15th year as a Rider Coach this season and we have a lot of GZ's and TU's (love the TU's by the way). You are right they hit the ground a lot! So do our other bikes though too. DR200's, TW200's KYMCO 125'S. Not because the brakes are sooo great but because of bad technique. "Grab" a big handful before the weight transfers and down it goes. Thats all I was refering to, I've seen a lot of front lock ups and I don't equate it to good brakes. As mentioned in other posts, practice, a lot, and you shouldn't lock the front brake.

·
Registered
180 Posts
First off, very interesting find by the OP. Now the question is, was the redesign for performance or appearance? and as someone else mentioned was it bleeding the brake lines that made the major difference?

Now back to braking performance. I hear this all the time on this forum, bad brakes on the versys. What exactly makes bad brakes? is it feel or stopping performance? I believe it is how short of a distance the bike can stop from a given speed. Now this will vary greatly based on rider braking ability and rider's ability to notice a situation then react. So, as many riders are, i am a huge advocate of emergency braking practice. i make it a habit to practice emergency braking atleast every 5 times i go out and ride (it is something we can always be improving). Now reaction time and concentration are a little harder to improve, reaction time is mostly genetic and concentration can be worked on but is mostly another genetic issue.

So we are left with 2 ways to improve braking. Improve your skills and improve your bike's performance. the versys can stop from 60-0 is 128 feet (see motorcycle consumer news article, 2008 Versys). this isnt the best, but it is in the top 50% of all vehicles on the road (top performing bikes are in the low 110s and top performing cars are in the 90s). However, this is a performance number which under ideal conditions and many many passes was accomplished, so who can actually do this in an emergency (very few riders), this is why the skill is far more important than improving the ability of the bike. Similar to the argument of driving a zx14, show me that all the extra performance can be tapped into with your riding skills.

In conclusion, dont sit on your computer and tell me that doing any mod to improve braking is for safety, unless you can guarantee that you can stop to best ability of your motorcycle in any situation (unless you are riding a bike from the 60s that stops quicker sliding across the pavement then using the brakes). In my opinion the best way you can spend your money on a braking system would be getting abs for your bike. On many bikes abs limits top performance braking numbers, but for the average rider it provides a better stopping distance than they can do for that given situation (rain or shine).

Dont get me wrong tho, there is nothing wrong with spending money on the best, but dont fool your self into thinking having the best will mean that you can use that ability.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
My previous bike had a single front rotor. I upgraded it to SS braided brake lines and top of the line EBC HH pads before going to the 08 Versys. The improvement from SS brake lines was not really that noticeable except for a tiny bit less sponginess at the limit (just before lockup). Going to the dual rotor setup of the 08 Versys was a dramatic improvement. I've since ridden other bikes like a 08 Honda VFR and find the brakes on my Versys are OK in comparison. For the OP to see such a big improvement with just a reservoir up grade I am wondering if there was air in his system before the upgrade. The required bleeding would have removed this. Then again I have never ridden an 09+ Versys to compare it with.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
.... For the OP to see such a big improvement with just a reservoir up grade I am wondering if there was air in his system before the upgrade. The required bleeding would have removed this. Then again I have never ridden an 09+ Versys to compare it with.
No air in the system. The improvement I got is in "feel", and to me, that's important.

It was NOT 'spongy' - it just didn't work as well as my '09's brakes, so I upgraded. :goodidea:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I installed a 2010 MC yesterday on my 08 and I did it just because I could! Hopefully it will help some, but I bought the MC on ebay for about $50. I don't think that the V will ever have brakes like my gixxer, but every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
16,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That is half the fun of having it. Mine is my daily commuter (weather permitting) so I enjoy doing little things to make it better. If I only get a 5% or 10% improvement it was well worth the enjoyment I got from just doing it myself.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good on ya, Steve!

:thumb: :thumb:

Be SURE to post your comments after you ride and try out this mod.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I got out for a ride today and I like the new MC. This one seems to have better bite and better feel. I already had SS lines so the lever is solid. After I get time to make a run to the mountains I will have a better idea of how well it works.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This one seems to have better bite and better feel. I already had SS lines so the lever is solid.
I performed the MC upgrade several days ago and agree with sharrison56.
My next upgrade will be tossing the stock brake pads for higher quality aftermarket pads.

Thanks for the initial post fasteddie.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I got out for a ride today and I like the new MC. This one seems to have better bite and better feel. I already had SS lines so the lever is solid. After I get time to make a run to the mountains I will have a better idea of how well it works.
I performed the MC upgrade several days ago and agree with sharrison56.
My next upgrade will be tossing the stock brake pads for higher quality aftermarket pads.

Thanks for the initial post fasteddie.
For those who think we are just 'blowing hot air' - TRY it, you'll LOVE it! :goodidea:

21 - 40 of 72 Posts