1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
308 Posts
Had a lot of bikes that did it bad-so bad the wind would lift your shirt up-the Versys is not one of them never noticed any-I'm running the National Cycle sport tour shield set in the middle

·
Registered
307 Posts
@valenciajoe thanks for posting the link to the AT fork shield product! That is the helmet I wear AND the issue I have on my V! I've had to remove the peak from my helmet as the buffeting was blurring my vision by 80 km/h (50 mph).

I'm going to do some experimenting (weather permitting) and see if a similar solution would work on my V.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It's hard to stop drafts or create a still pocket of air for the rider on an adventure bike like the Versys. IMO a better alternative is just to invest in good adventure style gear (Olympia, Revit, Klim, Danese, etc.) - motorcycle pants and jacket. Jeans are not windproof so do not keep you warm no matter what you wear underneath in cold weather. Also heated grips are a must have IMO for cool weather riding. A cheap helmet balaclava will keep your neck and chin warm as will a heated liner with a heated collar.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was intrigued by this post so a taped some 4" pieces of yarn around the handlebar area and took a ride to see airflow patterns on the bike.

They did point up as the air flowed up from the fork area in front of the tank.

Then I moved my hand around and could feel the air in that area, but as I moved my hand up the effect from that air flow went away. As I moved my hand further up I began to feel some turbulence coming off the wind screen. I am running an MRA touring shield without the spoiler.

Although it's an interesting concept I don't think it plays much of a role on our V-650's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@valenciajoe
I'm going to do some experimenting (weather permitting) and see if a similar solution would work on my V.
Let me know what you find out. I was thinking of toying with plugging various holes to see what will happen.

It's hard to stop drafts or create a still pocket of air for the rider on an adventure bike like the Versys. IMO a better alternative is just to invest in good adventure style gear (Olympia, Revit, Klim, Danese, etc.) - motorcycle pants and jacket. .
No doubt it is hard, if not impossibly hard. I might be overly aware of the wind noise and drafts. But it seems to me that if others were feeling the kind of wind tunnel that is pointed at my face, that it would have been an issue by now. So, I am thinking that there is flaw somewhere in the lower fairing, or I am just a sensitive flower. This is my first experience with adventure bikes so I have a lot to learn.

Although it's an interesting concept I don't think it plays much of a role on our V-650's.
I suspect you are right, but I will probably do a little experimenting and report my findings, unless they are stupidly obvious to all. I am hoping for a miracle.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
FWIW - I use BELL Revolver EVO helmets in AZ and in BC. They have a "chin-apron" across the front of the chin-bar, and I don't notice any problem drafts.

BTW - I'm about 5'10" w/ 31" inseam, using OEM windshields on BOTH my Gen 1 (AZ) and Gen 3 (BC) Versys'....

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, in a tip of the hat to @fasteddiecopeman and @Pecko I have purchased a chin guard for my helmet, a HCS - IS MAX 2 modular...and I will install the tank bag which comes along with the bike. Then I will report after I actually pick up the bike and ride it home, about 35 miles in what I expect to be below freezing temperatures. BTW, I have discovered that the screen is a Madstad, which seems to be a standard upgrade on these bikes? I guess I can always play with the adjustment on that. Hours of entertainment...

·
Registered
638 Posts
The Madstat bracket is the only way to go. It attaches onto the OEM piece. It moves the screen slightly forward which allows the aerodymanics to change with an updraft coming up the inside that then diverts the updraft that is trying to come over the top from the outside. The only other way to really overcome this is to get one of the taller touring screens that puts the flow up higher than the top of your helmet. That outside flow is the culprit that buffets you so bad. The Madstat also allows you to adjust the angle so it can be tweaked. Much better than the minor positioning adjustments for the OEM. Well worth the $90, and I use it for both my MRA Vario and the small stock screen. Weljoe had a different solution by making a custom screen using a stock screen that was turned upsice down I believe, and then attaching to that a taller touring screen. Joe, post up a picture from your old 650 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes! That tankbag looks like it would sufficiently stop almost anything coming up from below. Nothing is going to get by it. And with an extra 20 liters you can almost do away with a top box. There is a small one that comes with the bike that any updraft would laugh at as it whizzed by. I also have a Nelson Riggs magnetic bag that expands to about that size. I will throw that on and see what happens. Good ideas gentlemen. Thx.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Madstat bracket is the only way to go. It attaches onto the OEM piece. It moves the screen slightly forward which allows the aerodymanics to change with an updraft coming up the inside that then diverts the updraft that is trying to come over the top from the outside. The only other way to really overcome this is to get one of the taller touring screens that puts the flow up higher than the top of your helmet. That outside flow is the culprit that buffets you so bad. The Madstat also allows you to adjust the angle so it can be tweaked. Much better than the minor positioning adjustments for the OEM. Well worth the $90, and I use it for both my MRA Vario and the small stock screen. Weljoe had a different solution by making a custom screen using a stock screen that was turned upsice down I believe, and then attaching to that a taller touring screen. Joe, post up a picture from your old 650 days.
So .. On a Gen 3, JUST the Madstad bracket works with the OEM shield?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yikes! That tankbag looks like it would sufficiently stop almost anything coming up from below. Nothing is going to get by it.
Not only that, but it looks like it could comfortably serve as an airbag in case of an accident, completely shielding you from any possible harm. >:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Madstad 18" screen with the MRA x-screen tour and a large size tankbag = outstanding weather/updraft protection. Ride home this morning in 22F at interstate speed x1 hour no problem at all. Only heated gear I use are gloves and with ATV mitts installed I had them on the lowest level and my hands were almost too warm which is a wonderful problem to have during winter riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts