Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used parts from "motorcycle wreckers" can be obtained
online or at the physical site.

Normally good used parts should be about 1/2 new retail.
Ebay is a good place to look for cheap Versys parts, and
often less than 1/2 the cost of new/original.

And Chinese plastics can often be had for a song.

As for "upgrading" to a thou... what you gain in comfort,
you lose in (added) weight.
And in real world performance, (unless you have the skills
of Valentino Rossi) I reckon the 650 is superior... for example;
last Sunday I went for a fang on my gen II 650 up in the hills
Northwest of Melbourne. If you Youtube "Motorcycle Reefton Spur"
you'l get the idea... by the way... the advisory speed signs are in kmh.

Anyway I went with two others. One riding a BMW S1000R (165hp)
the other on a Ducati 1198S Panigale no less... with over 190 hp.
The Versys was all over both of 'em like a rash. Multiple times
when we stopped, the Panigale rider stood staring at me and
the Versys with his jaw on the ground LOL. View attachment 183227

Premium Member
Used parts from "motorcycle wreckers" can be obtained
online or at the physical site.

Normally good used parts should be about 1/2 new retail.
Ebay is a good place to look for cheap Versys parts, and
often less than 1/2 the cost of new/original.

And Chinese plastics can often be had for a song.

As for "upgrading" to a thou... what you gain in comfort,
you lose in (added) weight.
And in real world performance, (unless you have the skills
of Valentino Rossi) I reckon the 650 is superior... for example;
last Sunday I went for a fang on my gen II 650 up in the hills
Northwest of Melbourne. If you Youtube "Motorcycle Reefton Spur"
you'l get the idea... by the way... the advisory speed signs are in kmh.

Anyway I went with two others. One riding a BMW S1000R (165hp)
the other on a Ducati 1198S Panigale no less... with over 190 hp.
The Versys was all over both of 'em like a rash. Multiple times
when we stopped, the Panigale rider stood staring at me and
the Versys with his jaw on the ground LOL. View attachment 183227
Was on the spur in 2013. ( Did over 2000 KM in 2013, Great Ocean road, Up around Eldon Alexandra-Mount Buffalo, Hunter Valley Sydney -Newcastle-Cairns ) Looking forward to being able to travel. My daughter just got a house in Tasmania .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was on the spur in 2013. ( Did over 2000 KM in 2013, Great Ocean road, Up around Eldon Alexandra-Mount Buffalo, Hunter Valley Sydney -Newcastle-Cairns ) Looking forward to being able to travel. My daughter just got a house in Tasmania .

It's Eildon Bro... nice area, I camp up there on Big River; it's full of trout at Easter time.

I shot this with my cell phone from the side of the Eildon Skyline Rd.
Rode up that way with a bunch of mates.. it's a ride we do fairly regularly:

Big River at Easter time below. My favourite camp site is about a click upstream from where I shot the photo.

Vastly different from Cairns... you dont have to worry about crocodiles stealing your bait here either lol.

I s'pose being from Canada your daughter doesn't have a problem with the cold down at Tassie...
nice down there too.. compared to Melbourne/Vic it's another world... like turn back your watch
40 years... in a good way.

Anyhow OneWiz, hope you get back down here... maybe we could hook up and go for a fang up in the hills(y)

Premium Member
It's Eildon Bro... nice area, I camp up there on Big River; it's full of trout at Easter time.

I shot this with my cell phone from the side of the Eildon Skyline Rd.
Rode up that way with a bunch of mates.. it's a ride we do fairly regularly: View attachment 183232

Big River at Easter time below. My favourite camp site is about a click upstream from where I shot the photo.
View attachment 183233

Vastly different from Cairns... you dont have to worry about crocodiles stealing your bait here either lol.

I s'pose being from Canada your daughter doesn't have a problem with the cold down at Tassie...
nice down there too.. compared to Melbourne/Vic it's another world... like turn back your watch
40 years... in a good way.

Anyhow OneWiz, hope you get back down here... maybe we could hook up and go for a fang up in the hills(y)
Well I am sure you have heard of OEG . She stayed in Eildon. So in 2013 we visited, I rented a car, the first thing we did was head for the great ocean road, she drove the first two days as I was suffering from jet lag. So went on the M1 and stopped at a service center. Noticed out of roughly 18 vehicles a good 14 were 4 wheel drives with snorkels . I asked if this was a Australian thing and never got a answer. A week later we were in Hunter Valley , noticed what looked like hockey stick along the side of the road with markings in meters. Asked someone what gives, that is to let you know how deep the water is so your snorkel equipped 4X4 doesn't drown.
We were at the beach at Newcastle, if you like water , that is the place.
So my daughter is a outdoor instructor and her husband is a raft guide / electrical auto mechanic .She specialized in what is called high ropes, is a fully qualified wilderness paramedic, is trained in moving water rescue and naturally as a Canadian we all cross country skied. The coldest I was ever out in was a wind chill of minus 60 and the skiing event was postponed until it warmed up to minus 30. It was a 30 KM event, many frostbitten finger , toes and ears.
So with the pandemic, outdoor education came to a standstill, they moved to Tasmania 2.5 years ago, she is a Australian citizen now and just bought their first house, 15 minutes from the beach. I am looking at being there next time for 3 months minimum, looking at buying a bike and gear and leaving it there.

Registered
I maybe heading a little far of topic, but you should check out some of these videos.
Includes a trip to Tasmania.
Places I will never get to ride, but thanks to the videos get to see.

As a Canadian I can think about at least 3 months, I'd like a bike stashed elsewhere. (-:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am sure you have heard of OEG . She stayed in Eildon. So in 2013 we visited, I rented a car, the first thing we did was head for the great ocean road, she drove the first two days as I was suffering from jet lag. So went on the M1 and stopped at a service center. Noticed out of roughly 18 vehicles a good 14 were 4 wheel drives with snorkels . I asked if this was a Australian thing and never got a answer. A week later we were in Hunter Valley , noticed what looked like hockey stick along the side of the road with markings in meters. Asked someone what gives, that is to let you know how deep the water is so your snorkel equipped 4X4 doesn't drown.
We were at the beach at Newcastle, if you like water , that is the place.
So my daughter is a outdoor instructor and her husband is a raft guide / electrical auto mechanic .She specialized in what is called high ropes, is a fully qualified wilderness paramedic, is trained in moving water rescue and naturally as a Canadian we all cross country skied. The coldest I was ever out in was a wind chill of minus 60 and the skiing event was postponed until it warmed up to minus 30. It was a 30 KM event, many frostbitten finger , toes and ears.
So with the pandemic, outdoor education came to a standstill, they moved to Tasmania 2.5 years ago, she is a Australian citizen now and just bought their first house, 15 minutes from the beach. I am looking at being there next time for 3 months minimum, looking at buying a bike and gear and leaving it there.
Great!

I've only spent one day in Tassie and liked what I saw.
I must spend more time there.
The primary reason for the trip was for a motorcycle. I swapped my DRZ400 for
a ZX12R a fella had down there. I've still got the 12 and ride it regularly.

Small world One Wizard... back in 1963 for our summer holidays my father
did a road trip with me riding shotgun (The parents were recently divorced and I'd just turned 8 years old) from home in
Melbourne to the Gold Coast QLD. On the way we stopped at Newcastle
and I taught myself to surf on that very beach with a polystyrene surfboard lol.

The 12 in my back yard... sensational for touring longer distances... motorcycling nirvana on the Great Alpine Road:

Administrator
Once you have been there, it is like stepping back in time. The exception is Sydney closely resembling Toronto.

Premium Member
Once you have been there, it is like stepping back in time. The exception is Sydney closely resembling Toronto.
I was surprised at how friendly people were even in Sydney, a city closely resembling Toronto . Pretty easy spotting tourists, looking at a map for directions, one of these people called as we were going on a tour ride and the pickup spot was downtown Sydney. That person stopped, asked if we needed help and used their cell phone to call the number we had, as it turns out , we were about 10 store fronts away from the pickup spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts