Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today on my way to work as I'm pulling into the driveway I hear this grinding sound from the bike. I thought...whoops..that doesn't sound good.

So I work my shift, then start on my way home and don't hear the grinding sound. So I thought...oh good.

Well as I pull into my apartment complex the grinding sound is back and louder than ever! I'm guessing it's the chain but I'm not 100% positive.

You see..I just haven't had time to pay any attention to my bike...it's always so reliable so I figured not paying attention to it for a week won't hurt. I've been so busy working since last sunday and putting in many 14 hour days that I'm just too tired to do anything when I get home.

Anyway...so I immediately put my bike up on the rear stand to see if it is in fact the chain. Well it was very obvious, the wheel was even hard to turn! I started spraying lube in there and instantly the wheel freed up and the grinding sound completely went away! What a relief since I'm planning my san antonio (hill country) trip this weekend!

Don't forget to oil the chain! Guess I'll need to wash it now..I've been neglecting that too!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Old Guy Mistake

I had that same sound on a trip I took a month or so ago. I spray my chain at the end of the day of riding . However, if you grab the wrong can out of the cabinet before leaving and end up using chain cleaner instead (cans were the same color), it does no good to spray at all.
I realized my mistake when I heard that sound on the road. I pulled in to a station and grabbed the can out of the saddlebag to realize what had happened. Luckily, I was near a Auto store and bought a can of WD-40 to get me home.

Sprocket and chain are ok, luckily.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I always keep my chains looking wet like glistening.

I had that same sound on a trip I took a month or so ago. I spray my chain at the end of the day of riding . However, if you grab the wrong can out of the cabinet before leaving and end up using chain cleaner instead (cans were the same color), it does no good to spray at all.
I realized my mistake when I heard that sound on the road. I pulled in to a station and grabbed the can out of the saddlebag to realize what had happened. Luckily, I was near a Auto store and bought a can of WD-40 to get me home.

Sprocket and chain are ok, luckily.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
Acumen Auto Chain Lube system.

good : keep the chain wet, but if you set it high can wet your back tires with oil.

:cheers:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Clean mine with wd40 every week and spray castro chain wax I have a scott oiler but they make the rear sprocket dirty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts