Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing quite a lot lately about certain bikes...brands ...styles etc, that people seem to say really have a soul to them. Old moto guzzi's, 1985 BMW K series, and on and on.
Now I'm only new to the Versys, and still getting used to her. But, do you guys think a Versys has soul? Now obviously I'm not talking literally....but as much as a motorcycle can have one, lol
I haven't ridden a bike yet, that I can say had a certain soul.
What do you think??
Cheers n beers....:cheers:
BiGo

·
Registered
52 Posts
I for one think they do.

Mine is a bit gruff. lol
She has a good raw feeling in the lower revs when I'm bumpin around town.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
"What the Italians call character the Japanese consider design flaws and the Germans deny to their graves."
Larry Grodsky

Like all motorcycles, the Versys is a machine, one I happen to like a whole lot, but a machine nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
My Versys sure does have a SOUL and I treat her with TLC.

It will care for you if you care for it...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
Mine has the soul of a whore. Empties my wallet on shiny things.:teetertooter:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could definitely see how the old bikes could have "soul", they vibrated, had finicky carbs and were pretty unrefined. But that was and is their appeal too, they were unique and felt more natural, less metal and maybe more "organic" if that is a fair word to use.

Some of the newer bikes, especially those with fuel injection, could definitely be viewed as kind of sterile. They are dead reliable which is great for piece of mind, but knowing that kind of kills the uniqueness of the bike.

As for the V though, I actually really connect with the little 650, I love the fact that it is content to putt around town, but when you open up the pipe (Scorpion for me) it literally comes alive, lifting the wheel a bit and screaming through the powerband, I gotta say there is some "soul" involved...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
"Candy doesn't have to have a point; that's why it's candy."

Charlie Bucket, in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

"Ride what you like for whatever reasons matter to you."

Bones, right here on this thread

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You should always ATGATT and CCW to protect you and your bike. If someone is doing something to your bike that is not approved put a cap in the @#%. Soul or no soul don't let anybody mess with your bike! :eek:

There is more to life than bikes, weapons, good food, and whores! ;)

Thats why I go to church! :thumb:

These are very spiritual principles I have set forth! :eek:

Each of us must find are own path, and face our fears! :thumb: :goodluck:

·
Registered
53 Posts
My second bike was a 2008 Daytona 675 SE. Pics later. But you know a bike has a soul when it speaks to people who haven't the slightest interest in motorcycles. It was honestly breath taking. I could say I never fell asleep with my head resting on the tank. But I would be lying. People flocked to that thing....small children, old ladies, old men....sexy women....everyone. and the sound, comparable only to that of the finest exotic cars.

Jeeze the way I talk about it, its a wonder I sold it.

I moved in to more manageable and practical bikes so I didnt kill myself on the D. The Versys is a fantastic bike, but cant bring out the feelings that the triumph did. This does include lower back pain, lol.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Nothing has a soul.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not really, at least not compared to some other bikes I've ridden, Street Triple in particular (ref. NesquikNinja on the D675 above). The Versys is an excellent bike, but it doesn't manage to make me feel as if it's more than just a machine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No, nor does any other machine; nor does it have "character". However, there are definite differences in some that make them unique and have special appeal to folks with a penchant for that particular type of bike.

I know this is being more than a little picky regarding the popular usage of some words????

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I know this is being more than a little picky regarding the popular usage of some words????
I say we need many more people to be picking regarding the popular usage of words. How about the word "literally" when someone clearly means "figuratively"?

When he dropped his new bike in front of his friends, he literally died of embarrassment.
Well, yeah, except that he didn't really die, he was just really embarrassed.

So if by "soul" people mean "certain appealing characteristics" then sure, motorbikes can have a soul, but then soul is just a poor shorthand for describing what those certain characteristics are and why they are appealing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A machine (or anything) that is part of a life-style for many years, is like a friendship. And has similar attributes. Including bringing happiness during good times, and sadness when they go away. The memory of those times, depending on the person, is special; perhaps soul-like???

Getting carried away. Think I'll go and enjoy riding my V for awhile.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts