Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Gaffer SS braided brake lines last fall. Unfortunately I did not have much of a chance to ride the bike after the install due to the oncoming winter so had no real back to back comparison experience. I do notice there is less sponginess in the brake pull at the point of max lever pull however am not really sure how much difference it actually makes on the road. Part of the issue is I think I need to test back to back with another Versys with the stock lines. I also spent a lot of time bleeding the brakes to ensure there was absolutely no micro bubbles of air left in the system. Probably pumped 5x the reservoir capacity of brake fluid through the system to do this. What's your experience with braided lines?

One thing I have noticed though in my previous bike is replacing the stock pads with EBC HH pads did make a noticeable difference in front brake feel. They have less initial bite than the stock pads but provided a much more linear progression of stopping power wrt lever pressure. I had less fear of accidental wheel lock up when applying max brake force which I think might have translated into quicker stops.

·
Super Moderator
19,947 Posts
I installed Gaffer SS braided brake lines last fall. Unfortunately I did not have much of a chance to ride the bike after the install due to the oncoming winter so had no real back to back comparison experience. I do notice there is less sponginess in the brake pull at the point of max lever pull however am not really sure how much difference it actually makes on the road. Part of the issue is I think I need to test back to back with another Versys with the stock lines. I also spent a lot of time bleeding the brakes to ensure there was absolutely no micro bubbles of air left in the system. Probably pumped 5x the reservoir capacity of brake fluid through the system to do this. What's your experience with braided lines?...
When I installed mine (2 front lines, 1 rear), bleeding took quite awhile UNTIL I tried ALSO squeezing the front lever while looking into the reservoir. I saw a large bubble of air several times, then none, and they were good when I re-filled the master cylinder.

I find them good, ESPECIALLY the rear SS line - NOW I find the rear brake actually USEFUL!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had a good result with the front with stainless lines and Vesrah RJL pads. I was able to find the pads on Street&Comp....they're the same as fits SV650s (forget what year, but the website lists all other compatible fitments).

Made enough of a difference that I may not bother with the 4-pot caliper upgrade.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Stainless lines and new pads usually go on at the same time- it's hard at that point to quantify what made the biggest difference. It seems that the OEM pads on the '15 bikes are better than what they had been using, but mine were not good on the '09. With the lines and EBC HH installed braking was worlds better. Or maybe it was the Conti Attack Sumo tires I had installed at the same time...

·
Super Moderator
19,947 Posts
When I installed mine (2 front lines, 1 rear), bleeding took quite awhile UNTIL I tried ALSO squeezing the front lever while looking into the reservoir. I saw a large bubble of air several times, then none, and they were good when I re-filled the master cylinder.

I find them good, ESPECIALLY the rear SS line - NOW I find the rear brake actually USEFUL!
And that is while still running the OEM brake pads!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts