Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stuck at a light, here in Arkansas you can turn after the lights completes cycle.
DO these magnet work on todays stoplight systems ?

thanks Cb

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cycle gadgets........

Thanks for the reply. I have been riding for about 40 years, mostly BMW, Goldwings and I still have my 2006 Midnight Yamaha Venture.
I have never encountered this stoplight problem.
Also Cycle gadgets is about 1 hour away from my house and go there often...I plan on going at the end of the week and will see what they think.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I find that as long as I stop over the induction wire it will sense my V. If there are three wires I always stop over the center one, as I have sat through a few lights with a center wire after stopping over one of the side wires. If you can't see the wires try to stop in the center of the lane, but that is a crap shoot. The photo sensors generally will see you. I have read all kinds of conflicting reports about the magnets. You have to break the induction field created by the wires in the road and the V doesn't have enough metal to break them if you aren't over the wire.

There is another thread on the forum about this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They never worked in the past, so I see no reason they should start working now...:censored:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I bought a "green light" magnet years ago...it put me over the free shipping threshold so it was effectively free. I never noticed that it did anything of value.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wonder if California has such a motorcycle grace? I get stuck all the time and have gone anyway.
Me too, I've tried to google it but no luck. My MSF instructor did say it was legal but only after you've waited 1 full cycle and it's safe to go through. I haven't been able to find anything to back that up though and all the riders I know have no clue about it either.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I updated my previous post with some additional info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a pair of magnets attached to my oil filter and I still get hung up at redlights. I usually will wait for a car behind me to trip the light, a no show and I just blow through.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The only thing worse than never getting a green light while on your bike is getting a "phantom" red light. This happens to me usually at night when traffic is light and some bozo ahead of me makes a left turn so poorly that they are actually traveling the wrong way in the other lane which trips the sensor causing me to get a red light. :mad: It would be so easy to design a smart sensor with either a delay or 2 sensors next to each other that could tell which direction the vehicle was traveling. Adding a delay would be cheaper and easier to add to existing sensors. I suppose in the future all traffic lights will use cameras which usually work when I am on the bike but not always and sometimes the same light is random and only sees me when it wants to. :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts